HELP: Figuring out what Ralph Peterson is playing in this lesson

Numberless

Platinum Member
Hey guys, like the title says, in this video Ralph demonstrates a couple of ways to approach comping, one of these involves playing the paradiddle-diddle between the ride and snare but I don't understand what exactly is he doing, any help would be very much appreciated.

Example 4 @ 3:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjy2rJrBphk

Last edited:

toddbishop

Platinum Member
That's a weird way of explaining it-- I'm not sure where he gets the paradiddle-diddle part. He's playing out of Syncopation, putting the long notes on the bass drum, short notes accented on the snare, plus the remainder of the triplets, unaccented, on the snare. I guess the hand parts end up being paradiddle-diddles + the accented notes from the line out of Reed.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
I have the PDF transcription if you would like it

let me know
Just to let you know, that PDF is part of a DVD, and it is copyrighted material.

As the producer puts it:
"It's part of the actual instructional video. Would be on the DVD as a download (or download link as part of the online version). Available at our JAZZHEAVEN website.
Wish we could give it all out for free. But then we would not be able to make those videos for you... (Had to rob a few banks to produce these videos ;) - we shot 31 so far, with many different artists, incl. Eric Harland & Ari Hoenig). Best, Falk"

WhoIsTony?

Just to let you know, that PDF is part of a DVD, and it is copyrighted material.

As the producer puts it:
"It's part of the actual instructional video. Would be on the DVD as a download (or download link as part of the online version). Available at our JAZZHEAVEN website.
Wish we could give it all out for free. But then we would not be able to make those videos for you... (Had to rob a few banks to produce these videos ;) - we shot 31 so far, with many different artists, incl. Eric Harland & Ari Hoenig). Best, Falk"
I am not posting it in public

I paid for it and if I want to privately email one PDF to William I will do just that

thanks for your concern

Last edited: