Heart Warming Help requierd with corrosion.

W

Woz.275

Now i really do feel sick as a pig.

My Mapex Saturns are my real pride and joy, i polish them when they need not to be polished.

I was told to get my drums out of the house and store my drums in the garage, in a large plastic box that would house my drums and more.

My drums were stored in protection rachet drum cases, and put in the garage / box, along with some white spirit, de icer for cars etc... (chemicals in sealed bottles)

When i got them out last night, to my horror my chrome hard has corroded, and blistered, tryed getting it of, but will not come of, basically all the metal work is shot.

Went to local drum shop, and they recon you cant get the spare parts or they will be months and months on order.

Can any of you kind persons assist in a) what caoused the problem , i.e. damp or corrsion.

and what i can do about it, can i get if re chrommed, or is there a miricale cure in a can i can buy.

Does anyone work in the metal trade who can give some good advice to a well upset Mapex owner.

Some pics to show, they are a bit fuzzy.

Attachments

bonzolead

Platinum Member
it looks pretty bad but maybe some Turtle-Wax chrome polish might work it gets rid of the rust oxidation also.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

drumr0

Silver Member
I work in the aluminum extrusion industry and we anodize. If the turtle wax chrome polish doesn't work, it may be possible to find a local anodizer that specializes in chrome plating that could probably strip the finish, properly pre-treat, and re-chrome the hardware. If you have to go that route it may open your color options up, so you may be able to try a different color if you like.

gwaco

go get some #0000 steelwool and don't use a lot of pressure. may take some time taking it all apart and putting back together but you may be able to salvage much of the pot metal .
your tesion rods may not clean up by looking at the pics but its worth a try . easy way to clean those is to take one of the 0000 pads , put the tip of the rod partially in the wool , cup the wool in your hand , then use a drum key and quickly screw the rod in ( just like your tightening a head ) and reverse direction . you'll have to get the feel for how tight to hold the pad against the rod . you'll know after a couple whether its worth saving them or not . its a slow process but iv'e had it work miracles !
before you reassemble give all the parts a good coat of automotive wax .
let us know !

Attachments

synergy

I use a product for surgical instruments that deals with rust. However I have just re-read your post and it seems the rust is a secondary issue to the chrome one.

The pictures diffinately suck- I hope you can find a way to bring her back to life

W

Woz.275

Nice result gwaco. that snare looks good.

I have tried some good chrome restorer, and 0000 wire wall, but to no avail, the chrome plating has been eatern away. Pmt music shop can do spare parts, but will cost up to £250.00, oocch !

But my drums are the only thing i really look after, so i surpose it is worth it..

Just an expesive lesson, thats all.

Thank you for all your advice..

W

Woz.275

Sorry to here the news that your attempt to rescue your drum hasn`t worked.
But a least you can restore them back to health, it might be expensive but as you say when it is something you really care about money shouldn`t matter.
Cheers for that mate..

gwaco

bummer . as someone already stated, maybe consider having all the metal parts blasted and powdercoated.