Hearing protection question for you drummers

hi

I have become more aware of the dangers of drumming on long-term, and even short-term, hearing.

I have been trying to economically rectify this:

Firstly, i got big sony headphones to play music through and underneath them put in foam earplugs. But the music from the headphones is hard to hear even at full volume.

Secondly, I bought noise cancelling in-ear headphones and got industrial noise protectors (like you'd use on a construction site with a con-saw or a drill). I must say this is my perferred option as the headphones are fantastic and the general drum playing-along sound is really nice, much easier for figuring out tracks and hearing clearly what you are doing.

I only ever put my music on 1/3 to 1/2 the capacity volume on the mp3 player and it doesn't sound like that's too loud. My concern, however, is that i am damaging my hearing still with the in-ear option; i am sure the industrial headphones prevent the drums from damaging the ears. there is so much talk now over headphones damage and i am just wondering if anyone out there has considered these options?

I have just gotten wax earplugs which are meant to be good, will try the first thing (sony headohones over them) and see if the sound is any better. but the in-ear option is my preferred by a long stretch.

Thirdly, if i am practicing with a metronome only i use foam earplugs and the industrial one over it and i prefer the sound: as soon as i use the industrial protectors i love how it sounds --for some reason.

I can't afford to get professionally made one's as they are so expensive. I'm just trying to stop-gap the problem until i can afford it etc.

Also, i don't want to become too anal over this but as it's your hearing you can never be too careful. I haven't looked to see if this has been answered already so apologies if this has been addressed already.

Jak

ermghoti

Silver Member
I don't think the wax will work out that well, it's hardly sonically neutral. Just pay attention to your ears, if you have numbness/loss of highs/have to turn up during practice, you need more protection.

Phat_Rolls

I've been using SkullCandy Titan noise isolating ear buds. While they're not 'audophile' quality music-wise, for the price (I think $35) they're good. Since they're noise isolating they sort of act as ear-plugs (they turn the drums down quite a bit) and I don't have to blast them to hear both the music and the drums.

There are way better isolating buds out there, but for the price and for practicing these are quite nice. When I'm not jamming to music I use Hearos Hi-Fidelity ear plugs, which are amazing.

Florian

Gold Member
For practice I use professionally molded earplugs with -25db filters. For touring/session work, I use JH-16s.....

F

ricc333

I think you're good to go with your preferred method. Outside of that, ermghoti hit the nail on the head. Pay attention to your ears. Whether I'm playing, mixing, or anything else with a lot of noise, when my ears start feeling "tired" I give them a rest. For instance, after I'm done playing I make sure roughly about an equal amount of time afterward is really quiet. Even when I'm mixing (which isn't really LOUD loud), I'll still take a 5-10 silence break every hour or so. Just giving your ears plenty of time to recoup can make a big difference.

I've been using SkullCandy Titan noise isolating ear buds. While they're not 'audophile' quality music-wise, for the price (I think $35) they're good. Since they're noise isolating they sort of act as ear-plugs (they turn the drums down quite a bit) and I don't have to blast them to hear both the music and the drums.

There are way better isolating buds out there, but for the price and for practicing these are quite nice. When I'm not jamming to music I use Hearos Hi-Fidelity ear plugs, which are amazing.
Shite i should have just bought those when i was in the shop. The price is 22 euro or close to 30 dollars. Is this reasonable or can you get them [much] cheaper of the internet?

I will get those though. def worth the few bob for the sake of your hearing.

Phat_Rolls

Shite i should have just bought those when i was in the shop. The price is 22 euro or close to 30 dollars. Is this reasonable or can you get them [much] cheaper of the internet?

I will get those though. def worth the few bob for the sake of your hearing.
I think that's a very reasonable price. To me the quality is actually quite nice for that price, deep bass (of course, since this is what a lot of people attribute to 'good sound') mids and highs are decent, but don't really compare to my more serious cans (like my Grado HF-1s, but those were like $250).

I definitely say they're worth the $30 because in that price range I don't think you'll find much better. I've read reviews where people had breakage issues, but I haven't had any problems yet and I use mine in the gym almost every day, as well as with drumming (maybe these issues have been resolved? They seem quite durable). The cord is a real nice braided cord. While 'audiophiles' may scoff at them, I say they are an excellent buy for $30.

Between $20-$35 seems to be the going rate, just make sure you get the ones with noise isolation.

AJNystrom

I use Drm Earz inner ear monitors whenever I play. If I'm playing live I won't wear anything over them but if I'm practicing or in the studio I'll wear some headphones to block out more of the outside noise.

With the IEM's I only have to put the iPod/metronome at about 1/2 volume and I'm good to go. My ears have been so much better since I got them.

As far as custom IEM's go they're fairly cheap approximately $150 for the IEM's and it cost me $50 to get my impressions done. Check them out at www.drmearz.com Mitch is a great guy and he'll help you out any way he can.

AJ