Headphones: open, closed, isolated

MadJazz

Silver Member
I have the Vic Firth iso-phones and they really hurt my ears because of pressure, even after stretching them out. Do all iso-phones press that hard?

If not, which iso-phones should I get?

If all iso-phones press that hard, I'll get regular headphones instead and use earplugs. When using earplugs, should I get half-open or fully closed headphones? Will the music be audible when playing drums? Will this combo expose my hearing to more noise than iso-phones (without earplugs)?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MadJazz

Silver Member
I don't like putting stuff into my ears and all things equal, I prefer a good headphone that I can wear comfortably and remove with little effort. I did some research and found these isolated phones of good quality. Correct me if there are more.

Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
Sennheiser HD 280 -13
Sennheiser HD 280 SILVER
Beyerdynamic DT 770 M

I don't see much difference except for the price. All these isolate over 30dB, which will make me play louder. Is there a comfortable pair that isolates 25-30dB ?

I also looked into AKG and Behringer and didn't find any mention of noise reduction of at least 25dB.

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I use the Big Bang Studio Kans when I need isolation headphones.

I have a big head (as in hat size, not ego), and I have no problem with them fitting.
I've used them for 10 years, and I love them.

I've never tried the Vic Firth version, so I can't say how they compare.

Thaard

Platinum Member
In my studio(or my bands) I have those standard isolation/protective ear-protectors(that you use when you operate noicy machinery) and I took a pair of porta pros, clipped of the speaker-thingys and placed them in the ear protective thingy. Voila, cheap isolation studio-earphones.

ahector

I have the Vic Firth iso-phones and they really hurt my ears because of pressure, even after stretching them out. Do all iso-phones press that hard?

If not, which iso-phones should I get?

If all iso-phones press that hard, I'll get regular headphones instead and use earplugs. When using earplugs, should I get half-open or fully closed headphones? Will the music be audible when playing drums? Will this combo expose my hearing to more noise than iso-phones (without earplugs)?

Thanks.
I had the SAME issue with the Vic Firth headset. The pressure really bothered me and I couldn't use it for extended periods of time.

I now use Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 and I love them. They're not really designed as studio headphones or anything... they're marketed as regular consumer noise canceling headphones. But they are fantastic for drumming, in my opinion. I can wear them for hours without any pressure issues. I've never found them to be uncomfortable (and most headphones I've tried in the past have been uncomfortable to me. I have a pretty big head). The noise-cancelling works really well; I play with my kit mic'd up (both when I practice alone and with my band) and piped into the headphones and the sound is very clear with this setup.

Even when I play without mics, the noise-cancelling makes my kit and whoever I'm playing along with easier to hear. I don't know what the noise reduction is rated at (I'm sure you could find it online), but I can tell you that I never get ringing ears or anything and I also don't feel like I've ever had a problem with it cutting out too much sound either.

MadJazz

Silver Member
I did some further research and the phones I mentioned don't isolate equally across the frequency spectrum, meaning the sound that comes in will be distorted and bass-heavy.

Therefore, is it better to buy an open headphone that doesn't alter the sound and make custom earplugs that cut noise equally across the spectrum? If so, which is the better type and will I have to turn on the music so hard that I'll damage my hearing even with earplugs?