Have you ever rented out your drum set?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have never done it.
However, I just agreed to rent out my drum set for one night for $100.

It is at the same club where I play once a week. Some band is coming out from California to play here Saturday night.
And I will set them up and tear them down. And I can stay and watch the show and get free drinks.

It's a good deal for me because my drum set is used every week by several drummers; who ever comes to jam night.
So for this show they will be played by one drummer, and I'm making more money than I do on jam night !! Go figure.

I rented one of my kits for a show choir festival. I provided everything except sticks and cymbals and for the whole day I charged them $800. Easy money.

Yes.

Several times when I was younger and needed the money.

And once in trade for studio time at a recording studio.

I rented a Gretsch kit I had to Charlie Musselwhite's drummer. They were playing at a place I used to jam at and the establishment asked me if I would rent my kit to him. Charlie's drummer wanted Gretsch and I had a set at the time.

I can understand maybe feeling that theres a guarantee of compensation from a venue if there's damage to the kit or something is stolen. If you're renting out to a band or one person, how would you work that out? Collateral? Contract?

I can understand maybe feeling that theres a guarantee of compensation from a venue if there's damage to the kit or something is stolen. If you're renting out to a band or one person, how would you work that out? Collateral? Contract?

It's like any other business arrangement. Totally contract-based. You're providing a service, the client pays for said service. Simple. What would they do if they couldn't use your drums? They'd have to rent from somebody else. It might as well be you.

It's like any other business arrangement. Totally contract-based. You're providing a service, the client pays for said service. Simple. What would they do if they couldn't use your drums? They'd have to rent from somebody else. It might as well be you.

I guess I mean how is there any guarantee that you will have or receive compensation to cover the damages? As Queen Cersei is happy to show a contract is just a piece of paper if the other party wants to see it that way.

Going to small claims court might very well cost you more than its worth. If you own a bunch of kits it wont be the end of the world. If you own one or two....seems really risky. I have friends that rent out expensive PA equipment and DJ gear but they're a registered business who takes a credit card on file and deposit before anything leaves the loading ramp.

I guess I mean how is there any guarantee that you will have or receive compensation to cover the damages? As Queen Cersei is happy to show a contract is just a piece of paper if the other party wants to see it that way.

Going to small claims court might very well cost you more than its worth. If you own a bunch of kits it wont be the end of the world. If you own one or two....seems really risky. I have friends that rent out expensive PA equipment and DJ gear but they're a registered business who takes a credit card on file and deposit before anything leaves the loading ramp.

Why couldn't you take a credit card deposit too? You don't have to be a registered business to be able to do that. You draw up a contract and discuss it with a client and when you've agreed to terms, charge their card with a credit card reader through your phone. I just got one of those Square credit card readers and it's really handy. If you take a deposit, you just refund back to their card at the end of the rental.

To be a legitimate business, conducting yourself that way.

Why couldn't you take a credit card deposit too? You don't have to be a registered business to be able to do that. You draw up a contract and discuss it with a client and when you've agreed to terms, charge their card with a credit card reader through your phone. I just got one of those Square credit card readers and it's really handy. If you take a deposit, you just refund back to their card at the end of the rental.

To be a legitimate business, conducting yourself that way.

I actually do have a Paypal Anywhere card reader which the band uses for tshirt and CD sales.

I don't mean to sound so negative and obtuse. I've been curious about doing this with my kit but it's my only one and I'm afraid one bad customer would ruin both the rental business and my practice/gigs. Too risky until I get another kit.

A number of years ago I rented my Yamaha Recording Custom set and cymbals to a gospel festival that was being filmed and sold in churches and online. My conditions were that I deliver them, set them up, and tear them down, and stay through the show. I charged $250 for the night.

The drummer was a fantastic Gospel drummer. He didn't move a single thing, and even used the sticks I had in my stick bag. He didn't dent a single head, even though he played very hard - or made it look that way. He never said a word to me before or after the gig - just walked in at the last minute, burned the whole night, and walked out when he was done.

It was a great experience for me, and under those circumstances, I would do it again in a minute!

GeeDeeEmm

I actually do have a Paypal Anywhere card reader which the band uses for tshirt and CD sales.

I don't mean to sound so negative and obtuse. I've been curious about doing this with my kit but it's my only one and I'm afraid one bad customer would ruin both the rental business and my practice/gigs. Too risky until I get another kit.

Understandable. I don't rent my beloved kit out - it's always a second kit I have that gets rented. And I'm usually present in a festival situation when my stuff is rented.

Back