Have you ever met a famous drummer?

aydee

Platinum Member
Aydee...I think I had a similiar experience as you with perhaps the same guy!...EGO comes to mind, am I correct? Very unfortunate, and unnecessary, really, because he's not really "all that"!
I think so, jasonrhcp! Ego is correct. Did he have a shiny head? ; )

btw, I took a lesson from Gregg Bissonette once... super cool, fun as heck guy with a great teaching talent.. he has a way with students.

cdrums21

Gold Member
I've been fortunate in my drumming career to have met some great drummers and shared the stage with some as well. Of note, I am friends with Gene Crisman, who was a member of the "Memphis boys" studio legends that recorded with Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis...etc. He is the drummer on "Suspicious minds" as well as "Natural woman" by Aretha Franklin. I met him at a session with a dear friend of mine in Nashville who is an awesome guitarist and producer. We hit it off and have been friends ever since. I also got to meet Jason Bonham at a show we did with Foreigner two summers ago. He was great and very personable. Being a big John Bonham fan, that was especially cool. The funny thing was that we knew he was playing in Foreigner, and the contract asked if the opening band would not play any Zeppelin tunes out of respect for him and their show. So, we did a song called "Lights out" by UFO since he played in that band as well. As it turned out, we had to play a little longer than expected, so our singer just yelled out a song and we ended the set with "rock and roll all night".by Kiss......yeah I know, kind of gay. Anyway, I was talking to Jason after the show and he said "I really liked you guys until you did that bloody Kiss song!" We all laughed hysterically because we felt the same way. He was great and he sounded great with Foreigner too!

cdrums21

Gold Member
More than I can remember.

My business keeps me in very close contact with musicians and drummers. My high point was a meeting with Max Roach, a story I've recounted here on DW. I would have loved to have met Buddy.

My low point was a meeting with a big, highly respected technical master clinician with a lot of DVDs under his belt.

What business Aydee?...if you don't mind me asking. You have me intrigued. Also, that big technical master you spoke of wouldn't have the initials of this website would he?

aydee

Platinum Member
What business Aydee?...if you don't mind me asking. You have me intrigued. Also, that big technical master you spoke of wouldn't have the initials of this website would he?
Clint, nice to hear from you again, bud! My business is mainly advertising, which on the music end of it includes event management and music production. I'm also involved with franchising out a Philly based performance center to other cities around the world.

Nice try on the drummer Clint, no, it isn't Weckl ; )

Steamer

Platinum Member
Many over my lifetime with some of my all time top {well living} true heroes in modern jazz drumming that have helped shape my own playing down the road and also as role models at being a person and a musician in life in general.

Seeing them play live and watching them like a hawk was key on the musical end. Finding out in person either backstage or after shows, on double bills with local bands I was in for warm up sets for big name acts, introductions set up by others or in festival hotels across the country we all shared on the road I discovered most were wonderful, warm open folks which taught me an important lesson early on...being humble. They were all by a large percent about the music and not about coping an attitude or ego to try and put themselves over others except for a rare small % of famous drummers i've personally encountered to date.

Based on percentages 97% nice {grand prize winner Louie Bellson}.. some even like an older direct family member you look up to type of nice {Elvin Jones}....3% not so nice with one being down right nasty to the bone and no i'm not mentioning names out of respect for the dead who were on the 3% list or the one all time winner of that crown back when I was 18 in particular.

Last edited:

MikeM

Platinum Member
I used to jam fairly regularly with Chris Cornell with some mutual friends back in the day, and had met Matt Cameron a few times around town.

One time just before the recording of "Superunknown" while Matt was in the studio working on drum sounds with his right hand man, Gregg Keplinger, Cornell called me to help him track two demos for songs he'd written at the last minute. So I went over to his house, learned the songs and recorded them with him in one afternoon.

They turned up on the album as "Superunknown" and "4th of July", with Matt drumming, of course. It was unbelievably cool to hear him playing the parts I'd layed down without much deviation.

One of the high-water marks of my little rock career!

BTW: Soundgarden played their first reunion show here last night at a club downtown, which of course sold out in minutes. Wish I would've been able to make it.

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
I've met & hung with Flo Mounier for an whole afternoon, night and afterhours when they in town for their Unspoken King tour. It's a memorable time spend with him. Cool & down to earth guy. I've met aslo couple of Quebec Province pro drummers that are touring with french canadian artist.

dr.funkenstien

I met Portnoy in Toronto in the summer of 2008. On the Chaos in Motion tour. It was really fast as Dream Theater was just doing an in store signing at HMV. Other than that I met JD Blair since he plays for Shania Twain and I live in her hometown of Timmins Ontario Canada. So he was here for a convention type thing. Really cool dude.

brady

Platinum Member
Most of the drummers I have met were at clinics or, of course, concerts. I've been fortunate to meet...

Dave Weckl - who was gracious enough to give me a pair of his sticks after his show.

Mark Texieria - Duke Robillard's drummer. Swinging drummer; knows a lot about music. Hung out in a bar with him after the show and he answered my million questions. Great guy.

Steve Smith - I found him to be very professional, he dispensed a wealth of knowledge at his clinic.

Adam Nussbaum - had a lesson with him. Another guy with a ton of jazz knowledge. He showed me some pretty cool stuff with brushes.

Donny Osborne - Buddy Rich's protege. Really cool guy. Amazing clinic.

Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith - drummer for Muddy Waters. Funny guy. Plays awesome harp too.

Jim Riley - probably the best clinic I've been to. He even transcribed a couple of his licks for me afterwards.

Hal Blaine - the funniest drummer I've met. For all he has been a part of he has no ego whatsoever.

Michael DeRosier - used to see him at Donn Bennett's drum shop quite a bit. Just one of the guys. Very approachable and down to earth.

Cheney Brannon - Collective Soul's current drummer. Actually hung up on his phone call to sign a drumhead for me and talk for a bit. ( I didn't ask him to. ) He also gave me one of his sticks after the show.

That all...so far.

nickg

Silver Member
I've run into a few in my travels, some just a handshake and a little chat, and others I'm comfortable emailing occasionally to see how they're doing. But I value my friendship with Hal Blaine above all. We keep in touch and exchange Xmas & birthday cards, he even called when my father passed away. He's a gentleman and a real treasure.

Bermuda
i also met Hal back in the late 80's at a clinic in Cleveland. he had his foot in a cast and couldn't play. but he spent about 45 minutes with just me and my guitar player just chatting and telling some GREAT stories. he was a joy to talk with.

also met and spoke with David Garibaldi, Alan White and Mike Terrana, all at clinics they were doing.

and met and talked with Billy Cobham at a show he did in Pittsburgh back around '92 or so.

Eggman

My roomate is a big hippy and also a drummer, so he got the drummer for the Disco Biscuits, Allen Aucoin, to come over to our house to give him a lesson and smoke. Jerks used my drums without even asking!

jasonrhcp

Aydee...I now know of who you speak...actually, I never met HIM..

BUT...it is a YOUNGER drummer also with a few popular DVD's, one most recently...and he has a rather...uhm...TALL EGO!...who's last name is often replaced by said word...;

G

gf2564

I've run into a few in my travels, some just a handshake and a little chat, and others I'm comfortable emailing occasionally to see how they're doing. But I value my friendship with Hal Blaine above all. We keep in touch and exchange Xmas & birthday cards, he even called when my father passed away. He's a gentleman and a real treasure.

Bermuda
I would think you would be in this categorie based on your success! As for me, the only one I can remember meeting was Danny Seraphine a few times a couple of years back. He was a huge influence on my playing/development. He seemed like a truely nice/sincere man!

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
Most of the drummers I have met were at clinics or, of course, concerts. I've been fortunate to meet...

Jim Riley - probably the best clinic I've been to. He even transcribed a couple of his licks for me afterwards.

That all...so far.
I heard that Jim clinics are really great, I think he's a cool guy. Berduma must have meet him sometimes...I think.

From his MD articles, I think I'd really like to attend to one of his clinic.