Has anyone offered a drumset that you assemble?

DaleClark

I was putting together an accent table we purchased yesterday. I was wondering if any drum manufacture ever offered such. You choose sizes and finish of the shells. The lugs, screws, rims, heads etc come in a separate box. you assemble (with instructions). People assemble furniture and even kitchen cabinets with no issues. Cheaper to ship.

Would this be something you would consider purchasing if the big brands offered such and it would save you quite a bit of money? I could even see this with music stores as well. The store could charge extra to assemble (much like Home Depot and gas grills).

I know the big names probably do not want the quality consistency compromised on assembly....just something to ponder.

M

MasterBlaster

What a great idea! It reminds me of Carvin's line of guitars that you assembled.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yes. Ludwig offered such a set 2 years ago
Ludwig Signet matches what you are describing.
Yup, I remember this. I think the Signet would have been a bigger hit if the lugs weren't those pop-in lugs (a friend of mine said the wraps, especially the blue one, looked like an ugly shower curtain). People that have those kits like them, but IMO, it's really not that big of to attach drum lugs the traditional way. I would have been more interested if they came with the regular ol' screw-in lugs. Those big holes in Monroe-made North American Maple shells make me shed a little tear. I don't think there's a replacement lug that could fit over that hold (except for maybe the big DW lugs). Even still, once you replace all of the hardware on something like that (never mind time and labor), you could probably get a used Maple Classic for about the same price.

DaleClark

Yup, I remember this. I think the Signet would have been a bigger hit if the lugs weren't those pop-in lugs (a friend of mine said the wraps, especially the blue one, looked like an ugly shower curtain). People that have those kits like them, but IMO, it's really not that big of to attach drum lugs the traditional way. I would have been more interested if they came with the regular ol' screw-in lugs. Those big holes in Monroe-made North American Maple shells make me shed a little tear. I don't think there's a replacement lug that could fit over that hold (except for maybe the big DW lugs). Even still, once you replace all of the hardware on something like that (never mind time and labor), you could probably get a used Maple Classic for about the same price.

One would think the Ludwigs may have been more popular. I never did think Ludwig was fantastic in the appealing drum finish department. Standard lugs would have been easy enough to install.

So what level of kit were these drums? Were the prices much cheaper than a similar level assembled kit by anyone else?

WallyY

Platinum Member
I think those Signets were a great idea.

The vertical grain Alpi style veneers were a Sonor knockoff, but Sonor and Ludwig have traded design for about a hundred years.

Only the bass drum legs were screwy.
Those lugs were a good design. I'm thinking if they were normal screw on lugs, the ham fisted monkeys who bought them would be stripping a lot of lug screws.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The Signets were cool. I had one, the 12/14/20 kit in that weird Alpine blue. It was tough getting past that lug design, though. But the kit sounded really good for the price. And the fact that you got maple shells was a real plus.

But, and I do this too, if you were to buy a used professional kit from someone, they'll oblige you by stripping it down just to get it shipped easier. So if you just want a project to do once when you buy a kit, you could go down this avenue as well. The last kit I shipped (a DW Collector's), I stripped the hardware off the shells and put it in a smaller box that would fit inside the shells as I nested them inside each other for shipment ;)

KamaK

Platinum Member
Yup, and didn't even include a mounting bracket for the tom.

They were totally crushed by all of the sub-$1000 American made kits currently on the market.

<sarcasm>

In actuality, they were a fantastic sounding, economic, low-mass, USA made kit. I agree with opinions regarding the look of their finishes.