Happy Birthday Max Roach

dmacc

Platinum Member
Amen to this Anthony! Drumming is different because of him.

Do you know why he turned to matched grip?

A

Anthony Amodeo

Amen to this Anthony! Drumming is different because of him.

Do you know why he turned to matched grip?
from what I heard he had some arthritis type issues I believe and matched caused less pain

8Mile

Platinum Member
Hear, hear.

Max was the first jazz drummer I really immersed myself in and analyzed. To this day, I think he was the most expressive and melodic soloist the instrument has seen. And not just an important and historic drummer, but a composer and a courageous band leader who tackled music and even political themes that weren't always popular at the time.

We all owe a debt of gratitude to Max.

dmacc

Platinum Member
from what I heard he had some arthritis type issues I believe and matched caused less pain
Makes sense. I deal with some of that in my hands as well (hereditary) and I find a little relief in my left hand when I play matched. On a much larger scale as he would of played, I could imagine there would be a huge diff.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Makes sense. I deal with some of that in my hands as well (hereditary) and I find a little relief in my left hand when I play matched. On a much larger scale as he would of played, I could imagine there would be a huge diff.
I have a family history of arthritis, too, and it's obvious in most of my joints. But, for some reason, I've been lucky and haven't had any pain (yet) with my hands. My knees, toes, feet, shoulders and neck are another story :)

dmacc

Platinum Member
I have a family history of arthritis, too, and it's obvious in most of my joints. But, for some reason, I've been lucky and haven't had any pain (yet) with my hands. My knees, toes, feet, shoulders and neck are another story :)
Getting older sure is fun, isn't it???

groove1

Silver Member
Long live Max! His contributions to music will live on forever. The last time I heard him he was
playing with his quintet on his birthday. It was a wonderful night!