Hands grooves and fills question

Lt.black

How to play rhythms in "how to read 16 note rhythms" section? Is it supposed to play top line on snare or on bass drum? or top line on snare and bottom on bass drum? Why are some notes on bottom line ghosted? Please help.

Arky

Platinum Member
What page are you referring to? I just took a look but didn't find what you're talking of.

Arky

Platinum Member
Aww... Yes, p. 29! I didn't see it...

Well Pat Petrillo is on the forum so ultimately he can help.

I think those notes in brackets simply symbolize that 'in the real world' they can occur in various combinations. So they can/might be played but don't have to. If you leave out all the notes in brackets you'd have linear lines, avoiding limbs hitting drum elements at the same time. So address those rhythm shapes from all angles and try as many combinations as seems reasonable to you.

The top/bottom line can be assigned to the snare vs. bass drum but I think the point of those patterns is to create awareness of all possible combinations, this isn't 'final' music yet.

Lt.black

I will first gonna try to play eight notes on cymbal and top line on bass drum and then on snare drum, after that i will try to play only top line on snare/and toms as fills, and after that I will play top line and not ghosted notes on bass drum. Than I plan to play top line on snare/bass against all variations on page 31. Everything to 120 bpm. I think that this will do wonders for coordinaton and independence.

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Hi guys!

Basically, I wrote the 16ths on the bottom as a guide to show which notes are being played on the top line rhythm, thats why they are circle..Its just a "grid" to highlight those notes being played..

My "Learn to Read Rhythms, Better" DVD and eBook will help you REALLY learn these rhythms in depth!

Thanks again!

Lt.black

Thank you Pat, I will check it out when I finish this dvd which Its helping me a lot, Its very entertaining because I learning and playing along in same time thank you!!