Hand/stick position while playing 16ths on hi-hat

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Yesterday at practice I was playing the song Just The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby, and concentrating on my hand position while playing the hi-hat. I noticed the angle between sticks was about 30 degrees, and the tips where they strike the cymbals were about 2 inches apart. I play matched grip and I am right handed, with the hats located off to the left and slightly above the snare.

How do you position your sticks while playing both hands on the hi-hats? Do you change it up depending on the type of song or the speed of the song?

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
How do you position your sticks while playing both hands on the hi-hats? Do you change it up depending on the type of song or the speed of the song?
I position my hands almost level with the hats, so I can play with the tips and the shoulder of the sticks without having to change my hand position much to switch between them. The tips hit roughly about 2-3" apart, and the shafts hit about 3-4" apart. I don't change this position very much.

Boomka

Platinum Member
I position my hands almost level with the hats, so I can play with the tips and the shoulder of the sticks without having to change my hand position much to switch between them. The tips hit roughly about 2-3" apart, and the shafts hit about 3-4" apart. I don't change this position very much.
About the same here, at least in terms of angle. Unless I'm deliberately going for a really chunky sound with the shoulder of the stick, I like to have the sticks roughly parallel with the hihats to facilitate some rebound.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Play them like you'd play any sort of other percussion instrument with sticks. Supposedly in order to get the same tone from each stroke, the beads should be as close together as possible.

I just hit the cymbals.

Death Gum

When playing cross-armed I tend to go to a wristy french grip unless I'm playing with two hands which is german LH and american RH or playing open handed. I play match grip and am RH.

Keep on drumming
DG