Half for you guys, and half for me. Ludwig?

S

sticks4drums

Hey, did Neil ever use a Ludwig snare, or was it the old Slingerland with all those kits until he signed with DW?

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I can just see it 2 years from now. Some unsuspecting guy comes on the forum and says he doesn't like Ludwig. Then I jump all over him, defending their product. :)
Hah! That'll be the bee's knees. Just for fun I'll argue against you even though I have no problem whatsoever with Ludwig. I do weird stuff when I'm bored...

Pocket, be careful. That's a real concern at your age.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Pocket, be careful. That's a real concern at your age.
What.....at 39??? Cheeky bugger!! It's true I'm a mere shadow of my younger self, but in my head I'm still 23.......so my wife continually reminds me.

I have no idea what ailment is gonna see me out of this world, Red. But I assure you I won't be wearing an incontinence pad when I go. :)

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Hey, did Neil ever use a Ludwig snare, or was it the old Slingerland with all those kits until he signed with DW?
Nope, he used the Slingerland (8 lug, Artist, I believe) snare with the Ludwig kits.
Might have still had the Clear Dot Remo on it as well.

That snare sounds better to me than his DW snares, but, that may just what I was used to his snare sounding like. My fave was the ESL albums sound.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Okay, I'm gonna guess a bronze hammered, 6.5x14 with tube lugs. Just because Sticks is on record loving bronze snares.

Sticks, I was going to suggest we try to hook up on your trek through Detroit on your way home but I may be out of town for work now.

drummerjims

Just a heads up if you are driving through Pittsburgh Pa. Make sure you stop by Drum World its a great place with great deals and great people. They also have a lot of stuff. I live about 2 hours away and West Virginia and I try to go up there a couple times a year. Even if I don't have enough money to buy anything its nice to just look.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Nope, he used the Slingerland (8 lug, Artist, I believe) snare with the Ludwig kits.
Might have still had the Clear Dot Remo on it as well.

That snare sounds better to me than his DW snares, but, that may just what I was used to his snare sounding like. My fave was the ESL albums sound.
+1.Neil used a 60's vintage Slingerland Artist.I'm not sure if it was a 3 ply maple/mahogany/poplar or a steam bent maple,as some of them were.Great drum.Mine is a 3 ply,with the original zoomatic strainer.

I also understand he had the drum professionally repainted/wrapped to match all of his kits up untill the DW.I too agree that the Artist sound much better that the DW snares.I remember there is a website out there that documents all of his drum sets,even the ones he had prior to Rush,and I think he had a Rogers kit at one time also,with no doubt a dynasonic snare.Another great COB drum.

Steve B

MikeM

Platinum Member
I think NP kept that snare with the original copper wrap on it until he got the Artstar prototypes (the red kit). At that point he nervously had it refinished in red. Then again with the Ludwigs and their color changes. I don't know how much he used it on Presto, but I think around that time he started mixing in Craviotto piccolos and others until he decided he wasn't feeling the Slingerland anymore.

That snare was always hit and miss, IMO. It sounded best on Permanent Waves followed by Moving Pictures. There's a lot of recordings where it sounded kinda mushy.

I like his VLT but I suspect it's had a more than average amount of treatment put to it. I've never played a DW snare that sounded like the Snakes and Arrows Snare sound, for example.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I think NP kept that snare with the original copper wrap on it until he got the Artstar prototypes (the red kit). At that point he nervously had it refinished in red. Then again with the Ludwigs and their color changes. I don't know how much he used it on Presto, but I think around that time he started mixing in Craviotto piccolos and others until he decided he wasn't feeling the Slingerland anymore.

That snare was always hit and miss, IMO. It sounded best on Permanent Waves followed by Moving Pictures. There's a lot of recordings where it sounded kinda mushy.

I like his VLT but I suspect it's had a more than average amount of treatment put to it. I've never played a DW snare that sounded like the Snakes and Arrows Snare sound, for example.
Besides the Slingerland Artist, or "Old Number One", as he called it, Neil had some Ludwig 3x13 piccolos on his left side during the "Roll The Bones" and "Counterparts" years. He also had a brief stint using Solid steambent snares. He claimed to have "retired" Old Number One when he moved to DW. I suspect that snare's still in storage somewhere. If it ever went on sale, it'd fetch about a bajillion bucks.