Hal Blaine's Monster set w/ Donn Bennett

Tony Trout

Thanks for posting that link! I very much enjoyed watching it and learning how the kit was put together. I never knew until that video that there are/were two identical drum kits!

Mendozart

Platinum Member
Cool video. Donn is mistaken in one part of the video though. When he states the sizes, he says 6,8,10,12,13,14,&15. The last tom was a 16, not a 15. When we built Bermuda's Monster kit, he added a 15 to make it an Octoplus version with eight toms.

Last edited:

newoldie

Silver Member
Thanks--Great stuff on that video and fun to watch.
Also, Donn's other videos on his channel. are filled with interesting tidbits as well.
I subscribed!

Icetech

Gold Member
I had never seen that kit before... cool stuff and love the tuning.. and since i can't seem to tune my 5 piece for crap.. i would hate to own that :)

8Mile

Platinum Member
Just watched this. Fantastic. I love the "Set 1" thing on the drum cases. It's amazing how much of what we all know about drums and how they're supposed to sound came from that particular set, and the man who sat behind it.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
The kit - w/original timbales - started at $50k a few years ago when I saw it at Donn's shop.

Bermuda

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
One of those kits in on Reverb and it's asking price is nearly $40,000

The Donn's kit is number one, or number two? Might be who knows, unless Blaine authenticated it, and then its whatever 'he' says it is. The kicks could've have been switched up, be interesting to find out if Donn's knows all the $50K details.

That kit would sell strictly on the nature of its provenance.

Tony Trout

The Donn's kit is number one, or number two? Might be who knows, unless Blaine authenticated it, and then its whatever 'he' says it is. The kicks could've have been switched up, be interesting to find out if Donn's knows all the $50K details.

That kit would sell strictly on the nature of its provenance.

Here's the listing on Reverb. I believe there's a YT video in the listing and a ton of photographs. Hal authenticated the kit and sold it to Rockin' Rita's in 1996, which is where Donn got it from.

One of 2 identical sets built for Hal Blaine by Rick Faucher and Howie Oliver in 1969. Arguably the most recorded musical instrument off all time. This set was played on literally thousands of the most important pop recordings of the 1970s and 80s. Acquired from Rockin’ Rita’s CA. Blaine sold the set to Rockin’ Rita’s in 1996. Documentation signed by Hal Blaine.
[/B]

PRICE, $36,995.00

Hal Blaine's Monster Kit

Tony Trout

Can't believe someone would pay that kind of money outside of some type of music museum..

I agree - either a music museum or a serious drum collector. BTW, I also liked Donn's other videos on YT, as well. I'd love to be able to go to Washington state and visit his shop in person and see that kit.