Hal Blaine passed

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

trickg

Silver Member
Bermuda, I saw that piece a day or so ago when it was posted to Facebook - I'm not sure if it was posted on Hal's FB page or somewhere else. (I like that you opened up the video with comments from other musicians - that was pretty cool to see.)

My wife has heard me talk about Hal before, (he's a huge drum hero of mine) but she was fascinated by this, and some other videos I played (casting YouTube to the TV) and at one point she was like, "Dang, was there any hit back then that he DIDN'T play on?"

Seriously though, even though there were some tunes he didn't play on, Hal played on a bunch, and even I was surprised by one of the montage videos at just how much familiar stuff he'd recorded.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Bermuda, I saw that piece a day or so ago when it was posted to Facebook - I'm not sure if it was posted on Hal's FB page or somewhere else. (I like that you opened up the video with comments from other musicians - that was pretty cool to see.)
The anniversary party was pretty cool, Gadson & Keltner and many more were there, and of course Hal. They showed the video, and I don't know if Hal had actually seen it yet. After the party, while waiting for our cars in the garage, Kenny Aronoff came up to me and said he liked what I said in the piece. :)

Somewhere I have a nice version of the whole thing.

Bermuda

Ransan

The world's most listened to, invisible drummer.
So true! Hal was not a showman but rather an accompaniment. I Was reading a story about him online that’s in the The New Yorker in which Hal said in an interview that Bruce Gary of the Knack, “was disappointed to find out that a dozen of his favorite drummers were me.”

trickg

Silver Member
Something I was thinking about the other day was that it would be interesting to know both what Hal's first and last sessions were, after all, there has to be a first and a last, even though he may not have realized it at the time.

At one point I had thought I'd read somewhere that "Another Saturday Night" by Sam Cooke was his first session, but that can't be right because that was a 1963 song and I know he was doing sessions before then.

As for his last Session, a bunch of Wrecking Crew guys got together for Glen Campbell to record "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" - the song Glen wrote when he was dealing with Alzheimer's Disease. As always, there is that signature Hal Blaine groove and feel, and some cool, very tasty fills.

They used some different things for the version on the documentary and the official radio version, but it's all tasty Hal Blaine.

This is from the documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIW5RpvBnM

This one is the official radio version. I kind of like the other one better. The fills are a bit more straight forward in this one - less spice -but they still work really really well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI

alparrott

Platinum Member
Something I was thinking about the other day was that it would be interesting to know both what Hal's first and last sessions were, after all, there has to be a first and a last, even though he may not have realized it at the time.

At one point I had thought I'd read somewhere that "Another Saturday Night" by Sam Cooke was his first session, but that can't be right because that was a 1963 song and I know he was doing sessions before then.

As for his last Session, a bunch of Wrecking Crew guys got together for Glen Campbell to record "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" - the song Glen wrote when he was dealing with Alzheimer's Disease. As always, there is that signature Hal Blaine groove and feel, and some cool, very tasty fills.

They used some different things for the version on the documentary and the official radio version, but it's all tasty Hal Blaine.

This is from the documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIW5RpvBnM

This one is the official radio version. I kind of like the other one better. The fills are a bit more straight forward in this one - less spice -but they still work really really well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI
Man, thanks for that link. Besides just being a beautiful song and video, what an amazing groove. Hal never lost a single beat, did he.

... onion cutting ninjas got up early this morning...

trickg

Silver Member
Man, thanks for that link. Besides just being a beautiful song and video, what an amazing groove. Hal never lost a single beat, did he.

... onion cutting ninjas got up early this morning...
That song was recorded in January of 2013 (according to Wikipedia) so Hal would have been 84 at the time. There was nothing "old" about the groove and licks he laid down for that record, that's for sure!