Had to quit my rock band

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Good luck in whatever musical experiences come your way. The reason for all of this unpleasantness with be revealed in time. Peace and goodwill.

brownie1969

Had you not done exactly what you did....I think your wife would have been really hurt. I think she deserves, that you keep your distance from this a-hole. Seems to me this was all brewin anyway....better to part ways.

PS....replace HIM.... I like that move.........

Late Bloomer

I'm sorry to hear this Larry. What an A'hole the guitarist is. At least now you can play with the A list guys you have spoken about when ever you want now, and not have to worry about fitting it in when the your band let you. It sounds like your wife was a great promoter for the band, and to think that jerk treated her like that. What a loser. You did the right thing.

aydee

Platinum Member

I'm picking Bonzolead and Matt's advice together.

You dont need this. You run a successful business anyways. If this aint a whole lotta fun, dump it.

And yes, I see a " Larry's Blues Business" on the horizon somewhere. Its going to be a kick ass band, I know it.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I like that idea, Andy. Best of both worlds.

Boogie and RnB and rock'n'roll. Larry, since Charlie's playing jazz now and not too many seem to be filling that niche (apart from tribute bands) ... well, it's dirty work but someone's gotta do it! It'd probably have broader appeal if it's not too purist - piano and organ rather than harp.

If you can't find a group like this, as the guys have said, maybe you can rustle up some of the players you've met in your travels and start up the Transylvanian Boogie Band? :)
+3 on this suggestion. Start your own boogie band. You would make a great band leader. People can still dance and with the right song lists, you can have most of your blues components in there and feel fulfilled.

I admire your self control regarding his comments to your wife. What an ingrate. I hate fighting and I haven't gotten into one since I was 30, (I'm 48 now) but when I read what Froggy did, I wanted to slap him.

A guy that works with my wife said some awfully mean things to her one day last year. I listened to her over dinner and went to sleep that night with my blood boiling. The next day I went into his office, shut the door, introduced myself, shook his hand and didn't let go of it and then slapped him. not too hard though. All I said to him was, "Be nice to her" and walked out. I never mentioned this to my wife (she would have been furious) and he's been the "sweetest guy, I can't figure it out" according to my wife for the last year.

Sorry this kind of crap has happened to you. You're a nice guy. Don't let this get you down.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Thanks for all the support. I love the boogie band idea. Excellent idea that I will definitely think about. Thanks Andy! I like your story TTNW, nice move. You didn't hurt but you got your point across with style. If your wife discovered what you did....judging from the reaction I got from my wife....it's really great for your marriage lol. She feels so protected now. Our marriage went to a whole nother level. You said she would have been furious. But on some level she would absolutely love it too I'm guessing.

Devils Haircut

+3 on this suggestion. Start your own boogie band. You would make a great band leader. People can still dance and with the right song lists, you can have most of your blues components in there and feel fulfilled.

I admire your self control regarding his comments to your wife. What an ingrate. I hate fighting and I haven't gotten into one since I was 30, (I'm 48 now) but when I read what Froggy did, I wanted to slap him.

A guy that works with my wife said some awfully mean things to her one day last year. I listened to her over dinner and went to sleep that night with my blood boiling. The next day I went into his office, shut the door, introduced myself, shook his hand and didn't let go of it and then slapped him. not too hard though. All I said to him was, "Be nice to her" and walked out. I never mentioned this to my wife (she would have been furious) and he's been the "sweetest guy, I can't figure it out" according to my wife for the last year.

Sorry this kind of crap has happened to you. You're a nice guy. Don't let this get you down.
As risky as this can be in this day and age, I really admire such actions. I've been tempted to do the same. But you are lucky he didn't go the va-jay-jay route and get your wife fired or you in legal trouble. Remember that when she is at work, she is not "your girl" anymore, but a member of a functioning team of equals. I had a VERY HARD time accepting this as my (soon to be ex) wife is active duty military.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Hmmmm

I only included that story as an example to show that I can totally relate to and support Larry blasting the guy but not necessarily tell the wife everything that goes down.

I regretted it a little the next day and maybe even still a little now because I don't like conflict and being aggressive towards others. I'm not suggesting it.

I think that you said it best Larry, when you wrote that you're just plain and simply done with him and he doesn't exist to you anymore. That's the best way to handle it.

Devils Haircut

Hmmmm

I only included that story as an example to show that I can totally relate to and support Larry blasting the guy but not necessarily tell the wife everything that goes down.

I regretted it a little the next day and maybe even still a little now because I don't like conflict and being aggressive towards others. I'm not suggesting it.

I think that you said it best Larry, when you wrote that you're just plain and simply done with him and he doesn't exist to you anymore. That's the best way to handle it.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking you... just expressing how I can relate. For the record, you should have slapped him harder...with a glove... and challenged him to a dual ;)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I thought Phillipe acted with the proper balance of class and assertiveness and the fact that he was looking out for his little girl is admirable. That was a great way to handle it IMO, very gentlemanly like, but sending a clear message.

I would love to be the leader of a band. I'd pay my people for rehearsals and take good care of them financially for the gigs. But I would get to pick the songs and craft the presentation. With input of course. I would spotlight every players strong points and gear the show so the audience gets their money's worth. I would get an agent to book us because I can't do that part of the business. I would have Boogie Woogie, Motown, Funk, Blues, a little Country, the people won't know what hit em lol. Someday when I hit the lottery......

One thing I learned from this rock band is having no less than 2 seconds between songs is a really good thing for building crowd momentum. No down time except to talk it up.

BTW here's the email my wife got. This was a response she got from an email she sent Froggy saying how unappreciated she felt and how he made her feel expected to do stuff, and quickly dammit!.

Wow!! too many pills today?lol I just read my e mail Nicole What the f***(edit) do you do for this band Your husband is in the band not you I asked you nicely to take pics if you don't want to just say no!! that simple. another thing when I ask Larry about the pics I didn't even think about your realitives sorry!! Really Larry should be putting them on as a band member, I put everything into this band ,website , pics, conducting the songs we will keep going with or without you I take this band personal, so when somebody sends another band members wife A email about me I take it personal just say it to my face not behind my back nobody cares what you think Me and J.T. are the conducters of this band .
all I know is when we play Levittown some of our people come out but that is larry's area so it would be nice to have him call some people out that live kinda close it is a team efford there will be a problem if we lose some Levittown gigs because nobody calls any people to come out . I will not ask you for nothing anymore to me your nothing !!O yeah about the Birthday sh** !!(edit) Grow UP! I can't believe Larry is letting you write this shi**!! J.T. and john are with me , J.T. said just ignore it your pysco. but i can't when somebody trys to put there two cents in where it don't belong I get pissed I am going to bring this up at practice Monday night then we'll see what everybody thinks!!! wanda and rose both think your nuts wanda tells us everything you say !!lol wanda didn't want to tell me about the e mail because she knows i would get pissed and start shi**!! well she was right! and about Summer of 69 J.T. has a hard time singing that so unless larry or john sing it we will not do it .but I know you can't understand that DUH!!

I was steaming when I read this but DUH! set me off.

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Jules, I don't want any animosity from him. If he is tossed from the band and we replace him....he's vindictive and would bad mouth and undercut anything we did. Not worth it, I'm moving on. It was fun while it lasted. Besides, now I'm more available for the A list blues trio band I've been drumming for recently.
You're giving him way too much power.

I realize you have other things going on, and don't need to re-do the same band with a new guitarist, but walk away from the band because you want, not because you think he would be difficult about a new version of it.

After the way he treated your wife, lord only knows how he treats other people he works with. What's he going to go, call a bar and say don't book you? Do you think they'll actually listen to him? You said your wife does the majority of the bands promo and brings in the people. How can he compete with that?

Money talks, bs walks. If you find a new guitarist, promote your gigs and bring people in the door, what on earth could he say that anyone would actually believe? Nothing.

Anyhow, carry one as you were, but I had just to get that in.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Fair enough DED. I guess I'm not actually worried about that, my mind has been racing for a few days now. I just don't want to be involved in his particular scene anymore. There are other better scenes.