Guru unboxing video

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Well here it is, ta-da! What you've all been waiting for!

The. Guru. Unboxing. Video.

Lol

No sound samples yet, in fact it gets cut short at the bass drum. Ooops! At least I have it. I thought it didn't come out because it was the first time I used my sons cool camera. You don't get a 2nd chance to make an unboxing video lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT42orTv4iU&feature=youtu.be

Comments on the Guru's purposely with held until I get to know them a little. I've been really busy this week, days and nights and haven't had much time with them. But with little time I did have I could write a short book about. I just got the set together tonight and am saving my initial thoughts for a thread in the near future. Warning: It will be of epic length. I like details.

FoolInTheRain

That was awesome! I was watching it and thinking "Dude, go faster!!!" lol.

Man, those drums are beautiful. Looking forward to the in-depth review.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Gorgeous from what I can see but what else. Larry I was afraid the way you were flashing that knife around. Braver than me for sure. Congrats on the new tubs. Andy props to you and Guru for the excellent packing and care. Marvelous.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Wow Larry, that is awesome! I can't wait to read your review and hear how they sound. This looked definitely like a kid at Xmas moment. I truly am envious.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I like details.
I know ;)

I'm glad they arrived OK Larry. A big relief. Now I'm just keen that they deliver. Now that the set is together, the journey begins.

Larry I was afraid the way you were flashing that knife around. Andy props to you and Guru for the excellent packing and care. Marvelous.
Yes, Larry's "confident" knife wielding caught my attention too, & I know what layers of packaging are in there!!!!! Shipping speed surprised me too. They spent longer on consolidation & clearance in the UK than they did actually getting from the UK to Larry's house.

Drums are uber packed. We'll be insisting that all internationally supplied drums are taken with PR AAA cases from now on. Accordingly, we have an arrangement with PR, & we supply them at cost, but only with our drums.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Guys, calm down lol, no scratches from the knife. Years of practice. Yes Andy, the drums are delivering. Excruciating detail to follow.

8Mile

Platinum Member
That's our Larry for you; brings a knife to an unboxing fight. Or something like that....

Congrats, Larry! Those are some beauties. Can't wait for the detailed report and some sound files!

Anon La Ply

Renegade
8, you are such a mean street man lol

Onya Larry (both of you) ... that brought back memories.

Apparently there was $100 worth of packaging. Garbage and recycling services had plenty extra that week. Sending something large and precious a long way, going through all manner of busy and uncaring hands can't be easy.

Love the resonance in the room when you said "woo". Just wait till the Gurus are up - the resonance is surprising. As was the lightness of the drums.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
"I can't wait to get these tuned up". You mean they weren't tuned when they came out of the box? ;-)

Sounded pretty nice just tapping on them.

Andy, what did you change between Evans and Remo heads?

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Guys, calm down lol, no scratches from the knife. Years of practice.
Of course, I forgot that you're a "spark" :)

That's our Larry for you; brings a knife to an unboxing fight.
:)

Is cool seeing you in person too.
Yes, & I'll be seeing him again in two weeks time - for real! & Grea for the first time :)

Apparently there was $100 worth of packaging. Garbage and recycling services had plenty extra that week. Sending something large and precious a long way, going through all manner of busy and uncaring hands can't be easy.
Yes, packaging's a bummer. It takes ages, & I always get that uneasy waste feeling. Using the AAA cases takes some of that away though, because they're superb cases to use for many years to come. We package so you can literally play football with the drums - because they will (almost).

"I can't wait to get these tuned up". You mean they weren't tuned when they came out of the box? ;-)

Sounded pretty nice just tapping on them.

Andy, what did you change between Evans and Remo heads?
We don't ship drums by air in a tuned condition, mainly because of the possibility of extreme cold. We tune them in inspection across a wide range, then detune them before they're sent out.

As for changes to bearing edges, I don't want to give the impression that the edges are bespoke to Remo profile, we just optimised them for Remo. Also, the collar depth differences affect Origin drums in a way that doesn't affect standard drums. We need to take account of depth to external rering, & that differs significantly between Evans & Remo, with Aquarian somewhere in between the two - except bass drums, where Aquarian is the most shallow of the three. The Remo optimisation consisted mainly of moving the edge peak slightly inwards on the shell.

longgun

Gold Member
I thought the "stack" was going to fall over

Crazy quick shipping................I would have thought it would take weeks

You're box cutter skills are crazy

I had no idea there would be different bearing edges for different heads............why is that?

I am not jealous.............I am not jealous.............I am not jealous.............

Magenta

Platinum Member
Larry: Shall I take it out?
Me: Take it out, take it out!

I wish you many many years of enjoyment, my dear.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Bum... I was enjoying this unboxing video... and when it comes to the piece of resistance, THE bass drum.... the vid stopped!!!!

How dare you Larry!!! .... it's like unfinished sex... do you have any idea how I feel right now?

Guys, calm down lol, no scratches from the knife. Years of practice...
This is the very reason why Andy has reservation to introduce you to Yolanda Charles...

... first, a bit of knife work and then you'll eat her up!!!

Congrats Larry, you must be in heaven right now.... or you think you're actually dreaming, just pinch yourself to make sure it's for real :)

Arky

Platinum Member
Larry, congratulations!!
And thanks for making this unboxing video and sharing that experience.
BTW, totally awesome to organize the East Coast Get Together - that's unbelievable! You're a remarkable person.
Awesome ..... simply awesome !!!!
+1. What else to say...
Drums are uber packed. We'll be insisting that all internationally supplied drums are taken with PR AAA cases from now on. Accordingly, we have an arrangement with PR, & we supply them at cost, but only with our drums.
I love this idea.

Last edited:

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
We'll be insisting that all internationally supplied drums are taken with PR AAA cases from now on. Accordingly, we have an arrangement with PR, & we supply them at cost, but only with our drums.

That is really cool Andy, the 'at cost' part.

Optimizing bearing edge profile for the owners preferred drumheads? Now that's custom.