GURU Snare

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Absolutely gorgeous pictures, you have a knack to choose a setting which enhance the drum :)

I can see now that's the shell is much darker than the other thread.

dmacc

Platinum Member
Wow! That's a piece of playable art.

This is one of these things that needs to be handed down for generations in the family and not sold.

Astropath

Absolutely gorgeous pictures, you have a knack to choose a setting which enhance the drum :)

I can see now that's the shell is much darker than the other thread.
Yes, the shell is very dark in person. The first images come closest to to true color of the snare. The last two are overexposed. It is a dark rich deep brown with the figure visible enough to give the drum real character! None of us knew exactly how the drum was going to come out but, I can say we are all very impressed with the finished product.

Jim

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Jim, I'm desperate to know what it sounds like :) Much better photo's, & looking very cool in that setting.

We fitted the S hoops because we felt they would offer the best combination of stiffness & lack of mass. Of course, we threw in a set of triple flange too, just in case. I really like the look of the S hoops on the drum. A subtle aesthetic change, but I like it :) Great to know if we git that decision right.

Astropath

Oh my Andy, I just got through playing it. Amazing...
How does she sound? Well, in a way, just like she looks. Deep, dark, warm but crisp. Odd that the wood is dense but does Not sound like Purpleheart at all. Deep and warm but man when you want a crack, it's there with power to spare. And a rimshot cracks like a whip, powerful, all you want and more.

Imagine if you will... It is just dawn on the Scottish Moors, fog all around. There is just enough light for the Scottish warriors to start painting their faces blue and white. Then, the bagpipes begin, echoing across the fields, and the African Blackwood snare sounds off beating to the hearts of the ferocious battle ready Scots...

Jump ahead to New Orleans with a clarinet wailing, none other than Benny Goodman with Miles Davis on trumpet, Coltrane on Sax and me, of course, on the drums. A sensuous redhead (are there any other kinds?) slithers across the dance-floor , her hair sizzling in the dim light, her every move keeping time with the beat of an African Blackwood. Everyone, including me, is mesmerized.

The GURU African Blackwood has a unique, Deep, Rich sound warm but also crisp... like I said, unique.

best,

JimP

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Now that's fantastic to hear Jim :):):) That's exactly the result we were shooting for, but I have to be honest, It was more of an educated guess than genuinely knowing what the outcome would be. With most woods, when aligned exactly to the artist's expectations, we can pretty much nail the brief. This is because we know the timber species characteristics, & how to bring out the best of them. With African Blackwood, we had no reference point, other than the basic palate of a true rosewood.

Soooo pleased you like your special instrument Jim. Truly one of a kind, until we build another one, of course :) Even then, it would still be the first of a kind. Any chance of some sound clips further down the line?

dmacc

Platinum Member
Thank you for saying that. Yes, I agree this drum is a real heirloom.

Jim
Glad you view it as an heirloom. .... To follow up on that topic.

Be sure to store hard copy documents all aspects of working with Andy to get the drum made, etc... Type your own letter about it as well for the future generations to attach with the drum.

This is just amazing.....

Agd8

A piece of art indeed, and from the best kind. Art you can actually use and feel, not just look at. I'm lovin' those S-hoops as well.

p.s.

How bout some sound clips? I'm curious about how this thing sounds...