Guru Pics

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Nice Larry, congrats!

And yes, interesting how the bass drum looks deeper than 14".
I know right, it's almost an optical illusion. I measured the shell with the heads off, and believe me when I tell you that it is no more than 14". The hoops are fairly deep and I think that's the illusion reason.

My 20 x 12 walnut bop bass drum, while only 2" less deep, looks like a kid sized bass drum next to the 20 x 14 looks like an adult sized bass drum. Same diameter.

Perceptions are wacky.
 

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I know right, it's almost an optical illusion. I measured the shell with the heads off, and believe me when I tell you that it is no more than 14". The hoops are fairly deep and I think that's the illusion reason.

My 20 x 12 walnut bop bass drum, while only 2" less deep, looks like a kid sized bass drum next to the 20 x 14 looks like an adult sized bass drum. Same diameter.

Perceptions are wacky.
Women wear black to look slimmer. Maybe the walnut looks so much smaller because the wood is darker?
 

Destroyer772

Gold Member
Larry, they are gorgeous. With Guru sadly going out you will be owning some of the finest Drums ever made. A piece of future history you could say, I envy you brother. Congratulations, may they bring you a lifetime of appreciation and happiness "and awesome sounds"
 

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Congrats again Larry! Drums look absolutely amazing.

Sometime down the road--just for the sake of posterity--would you consider posting a synopsis of each Guru drum kit and your take on sonic quality and musical genre/application here on DW?
 

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Congrats again Larry! Drums look absolutely amazing.

Sometime down the road--just for the sake of posterity--would you consider posting a synopsis of each Guru drum kit and your take on sonic quality and musical genre/application here on DW?
So you are asking me to describe the Guru sound lol. I thought we already went through this with Sonor lol

I think they are best suited for live and unmiced. Any genre, any application. Just like any other drum.

They are just so drippingly toneful tuned well and not muffled.

And if they are good for unmiced, then miced is that much better.

They have this indescribable quality....partly sonic, partly visual, that people just notice.

With the wood hoops, they really sound warm and toneful. And people hear partly by their eyes. They look unique. I believe they have their own tone compared to ply shells, my opinion.

Andy got a nice long note out of the normally shorter noted walnut with the tympanic edges on the reso edge. So for walnut drums, the note lasts longer than a walnut drum without the tympanic edges. The average bar goer does notice the drums because they have never seen any drums like them before.
I've told the "how I met Andy and how the drums came to be" story to many people. No doubtaboutit, the drums make any band sound better.

TBH, like Andy says, you can get 95%, maybe more, of the good tone from most great drums. The other 5% to me is the pureness and constructive overtones of the walnut because of the solid shell. I like the natural sounding decay, the milled in reinforcement rings, the no ply construction, the small light lugs, the soft warmness of the wood hoops, the look of them, and their overall vibe. They have real mojo.

They sound like great drums are supposed to sound, that's the best I can do with it. They aren't magic, they are just a really great stab, the best I've seen, at construction perfection in a drum. Bar raisers is what they are. But it doesn't make economic sense really to produce, so unless someone picks up the torch...

I just find it really satisfying to have a drums that were NOT built with profit in mind. Not to mention the innovations. And the entire net result. I'd be surprised if Andy barely broke even after all that. My guess is Guru Drums cost him plenty. So I have very high regard for the spirit behind them. Guru drums means Andy and Dean to me. No one else can appreciate them like me, since I actually spent time with them.
 
Top