Growing older as a drummer.........

WallyY

Platinum Member
All these things aren't written in stone. Most of these things can be reversed with work and an attitude that you're not going to just roll over and accept it. Fight back!
We need both intrinsic and extrinsic motivation to be able to prove to ourselves that our efforts will be sustained by increased self-efficacy.

I smoked for about 25 years. I ate whatever I thought tasted good. I was so damn clever.
The doctor told me when I was about 43 that I was pre-diabetic and overweight. She sent me to see a nutritionist.

I thought I was still a handsome guy. It seems I was average, and getting worse.

The nutritionist was a beautiful young latina woman who said in her spanish accent- "Walter, I want you to take better care of yourself."

"OK."

If this was some fit guy telling me that, I probably would have scoffed and went about my ways as usual, but it wasn't. It was my outside motivation.

Most people don't listen to their dietitian or nutritionist. These people worry about keeping their job because there is very low adherence to their recommendations.

Surprisingly, after 43 years, I started exercising, and liked it a lot.

Transformation isn't torture.
Age isn't the onset of decrepitude.
The awesome feeling of nostalgia is present when you become closer to what you were before.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Get a Ford Smart Ass drum throne with Swedish Memory foam. Depending on how often you practice or gig, this may be the single best investment for your back.

Get lighter hardware and lighter cases.

If you don't have a Rock-N-Roller Multi-Cart by all means get one to roll your gear rather than hand carrying everything.
If the Ford wasn't $500 & the roller cart $170, I'd get all this stuff. What I want is the epic employment Forum members must have to afford all this great gear.
We need a thread on "affordable equipment for old folks on a budget". :-D

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
If the Ford wasn't $500 & the roller cart $170, I'd get all this stuff. What I want is the epic employment Forum members must have to afford all this great gear.
We need a thread on "affordable equipment for old folks on a budget". :-D
Yes, the Ford is luxury, but I'm a very heavy guy and for me, there is nothing better than the Tama 1st Chair throne. I like it so much that I bought two of them. I can sit comfortably for hours and no back issues with this throne. Of course I've never had back issues because of a throne.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
All these things aren't written in stone. Most of these things can be reversed with work and an attitude that you're not going to just roll over and accept it. Fight back!
Nice in theory, but many can't just "fight back" if their body decides it's done. I have a Fitness Instructor buddy in NM who trains those getting into Federal Service and he has this same attitude. Like the mind will always overcome the body & its limits.

Just not true.

All we're saying is injuries and issues can sometimes cause physical limits a human just can't overcome just because the mind says so.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Yes, the Ford is luxury, but I'm a very heavy guy and for me, there is nothing better than the Tama 1st Chair throne. I like it so much that I bought two of them. I can sit comfortably for hours and no back issues with this throne. Of course I've never had back issues because of a throne.
My wife bought me this very throne when they first came out and it's my #1 seat. I'm 100% positive I don't have back issues because of it. Good choice my friend.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Nice in theory, but many can't just "fight back" if their body decides it's done. I have a Fitness Instructor buddy in NM who trains those getting into Federal Service and he has this same attitude. Like the mind will always overcome the body & its limits.

Just not true.

All we're saying is injuries and issues can sometimes cause physical limits a human just can't overcome just because the mind says so.
Well I wasn't really referring to injuries, that's different. I'm referring to people who talk themselves into being and feeling old. In those cases it's a crappy mental attitude. Body follows mind, discounting injuries and the like. The mind is first, everything else follows.

sonormapex

The mind, the body, and the spirit act as one"..The body can only be, and stay fit if the mind and spirit are in harmony.
Depression, and laziness are not the same. Mental illness affects body builders and athletes across the globe. I,ve witnessed first hand, dedicated, professional fighters in the best condition possible "break down" and withdraw from their profession.
Unless you have lived it yourself, chronic illness is devastating, and because the mind is so fragile, you must constantly be evaluating yourself.
There are hundreds of books on this topic alone.
Age gracefully, stay informed, and be aware of your own process.