Groove oriented players you like?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Thinking back on an old thread started by Aydee years ago about the "Grooviet Groove' I'm pondering a list of drummers I love listening to.
Thoughts on players you love to listen to for their infectous groove?

While not comprehensive, this is a short list (I can think of off the top of my head) of great players I love listening to:
  • Richie Hayward
  • Sonny Payne
  • Phil Gould
  • Steve Ferrone
  • Jeff Porcaro
  • Bernard Purdie

Last edited:

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
-Along with Steve Jordan, Al Jackson Jr. is (IMO) the king of groove drumming as far as I'm concerned! His work on all those Stax / Booker T. & The M.G.'s records is amazing. Other notables for me include Jim Keltner, James Gadson, Mick Fleetwood, Victor Indrizzo, Daru Jones, Rick Marotta, John "J.R." Robinson, Homer Steinweiss, and pretty much all of the great Jamaican reggae drummers (Carlton Barrett, Sly Dunbar, Lloyd Knibbs).

SirSwingsAlot

-Along with Steve Jordan, Al Jackson Jr. is (IMO) the king of groove drumming as far as I'm concerned! His work on all those Stax / Booker T. & The M.G.'s records is amazing. Other notables for me include Jim Keltner, James Gadson, Mick Fleetwood, Victor Indrizzo, Daru Jones, Rick Marotta, John "J.R." Robinson, Homer Steinweiss, and pretty much all of the great Jamaican reggae drummers (Carlton Barrett, Sly Dunbar, Lloyd Knibbs).
Dang man how could I forget about Al... such a legend. Also Jim Keltner. I guess I’m not old enough for those guys to immediately come to mind and I hate that. Always more learning to be learned

hawksmoor

I've seen Ash Soan and Karl Brazil at drum clinics and Prairie Prince I've seen a bunch of times with Todd Rundgren, which is a long way of saying I agree with your selection.

singleflammedmill

In addition to already posted players;

Stanley Randolph
Keith Carlock
Abe Laboriel Jr
Chris Dave
Carter Maclean
Brad Wilk
Chris McHugh
Harvey Mason
David Garibaldi

Ransan

Tomas Haake example “Rational Gaze”
Jose Pasillas
Abe Cunningham
Notable mention I feel Tommy Stewart (drummer for Godsmack) has groove in him as well.

Ransan

Thats about 50-60 drummer names and Manu Katche still has not been mentioned..

Thats a shame, i would say..
🤭 on my end thread title says “Besides Manu, Who are some “Groove oriented players you like”?”
Are you guys seeing that as well?

Just kidding Oldskool, I hear ya buddy!
There will be alot shameful omits, and though I know more apt households, the ones I mentioned might be quite obscure or even downright (but unintentionally) offensive to others opinions.

But seriously, glad you got him in, cause I forgot to mention Carter Beauford has got nastier grooves than a singlets inseam.

Last edited: