Grip Issue - Matched Grip

sudipto1990

Hi Everyone, good afternoon.

I am facing an issue with my griping that is with matched grip.
Is it really necessary to have a perfectly matched grip in both the hands, be it in French/American/German ? I am having trouble with American grip in my left hand. I am not getting proper motion and control out of the grip and sometimes i get diagonal strokes so i am doing French grip with my left hand and American grip with my right hand. Left hand being my weak hand.

Am i doing something which shouldn't be done or i can go on with this griping as it feels natural to me playing this way. Will it anyone affect my overall drum-set playing?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I'd say go with what feels most natural. HOWEVER it might also be worth either posting a video here so we can see or finding a local teacher for a few lessons just to make sure your technique is correct so you don't end up injuring your wrist or hand.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I would practice slowly with good, open posture in a mirror, on a snare or drum pad, until you are totally symmetrical. This will improve your playing in a general sense as well, beyond just the time spent drumming.

Magenta

Platinum Member
I'm no expert, but I had a similar problem. I just couldn't hold the sticks the same in both hands. I tried to fix it but I couldn't - but my teacher did, literally in minutes. I can't remember how, but it was incredibly easy, a micro-adjustment, and the reason I can't remember is because once it was fixed, it felt perfectly comfortable and I can't imagine it ever having been different.

Boomka

Platinum Member

Is it really necessary to have a perfectly matched grip in both the hands, be it in French/American/German ? I am having trouble with American grip in my left hand. I am not getting proper motion and control out of the grip and sometimes i get diagonal strokes so i am doing French grip with my left hand and American grip with my right hand. Left hand being my weak hand.

Am i doing something which shouldn't be done or i can go on with this griping as it feels natural to me playing this way. Will it anyone affect my overall drum-set playing?
Unless there is something physically different about your left hand, then it sounds like you just need to practice making proper straight up and down strokes in an American position. It's normal to have your weak hand lag behind your strong one in control because the neural connections to it aren't as plentiful or as strong. They need to be built through diligent, repetitive practice.

Avoid falling into the "natural" trap. It's not "natural" to play in French Grip, it just happens to be what your hand is programmed to feel comfortable doing based on whatever activities you've done in your life prior to now. You can reprogram it.

Focus on getting lefty to do everything righty will do. A good exercise for this is playing what one teacher of mine used to call "The Impossibles" - i.e. double stops or unisons. Basically, you play with both hands at the same time and attempt to remove any flamming. Your hands should look as though there were a mirror set down the center of your body: reflections of one another.

Another exercise that's good for this sort of thing is one that Pat Petrillo calls "Flotion" but it's basically 8 strokes on the Right, 8 Strokes on the Left, then 8 Strokes in Unison.

Strive to make every stroke with either hand exactly the same. That means stroke height, volume, etc.

And remember that patience is a huge part of this process.

lsits

Gold Member
I've noticed that if I do faster sticking patterns, my pinkie finger on my left hand pulls away from the stick. My right pinkie finger doesn't so that.

cornelius

Silver Member

It is a good goal to make both hands as even as possible - getting the weaker hand to catch up. You should be able to switch between the different grips with either hand - these different grip combos you can do, is what makes matched grip so versatile.

I’ve always found it’s good to back up a bit and work on Full strokes at a slow tempo. It’s a good warm-up and can be done on a practice pad. This is a wrist motion that starts with the stick 90º to the pad and letting the stick rebound all the way back to the starting position. Slow it down to the point where you can play each stroke with the stick moving straight up down, without any kind of diagonal movement. This tempo might be really slow, but if you get it right slowly, you’ll be able to move the tempo up and have nice even strokes.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There are many occasions where it will natural to not be matched when playing matched grip.

However, when working on technique and certain snare things it would probably be a good idea to try and do the same. There are players who are more or less strictly one way. Billy C plays pretty much French on everthing it seems.... Still it's a good idea to investigate and make an educated desicion.

Incidently, Steve Smith has a DVD out now called Pathways of Motion dealing with various forms of matched grip.

GeoB

Gold Member
There are many occasions where it will natural to not be matched when playing matched grip.
Excellent point. Which is why I use Trad, Matched, and French matched. There are body positions, aches and pains etcetera which for me, necessitates changing the ergonomics of the various grips around.

sudipto1990

Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions. I guess i will have to start doing some full strokes as you all have mentioned. And I will also try filming myself doing it so that i can share it with you all.

Once thing i have noticed is that while gripping I dont have any gap between my thumb and index finger. Is is supposed to be like that or there has to have a gap between thumb and index finger? When i try and force fully give the gap the grip becomes very loose then i loose a lot of control and the stick starts to wobble.