Gretsch renown 2016 vs 2015

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Anyone have any thoughts on the 2016 renown switching to toms being mounted on Bass drum? Will it take away a little resonance of the Bass drum? Or not much difference. Im looking at buying a renown kit and wonder if I should try to find a 2015 model.
I think it was a smart move. I much prefer toms mounted on the bass drum. It eliminates the need for heavier stands for mounting toms. Any sound difference would be very minor if percetptible at all. I have considered drilling mine for a mount and may eventually do that. Don't let that deter you but also keep in mind that used Renowns are out there and you can save a buttload of money as others have pointed out.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Anyone have any thoughts on the 2016 renown switching to toms being mounted on Bass drum? Will it take away a little resonance of the Bass drum? Or not much difference. Im looking at buying a renown kit and wonder if I should try to find a 2015 model.
I'd go with function first on this one. Do you want the ability to mount the toms on the bass drum? There might be a difference in resonance, but unless you're doing a side by side comparison I don't think you'd notice. Two of the best sounding bass drums I've owned had the toms mounted on them.

Superman

Gold Member
It probably will take away some resonance. But will you notice a difference? I doubt it. I'm a huge fan of the toms being mounted on the bass drum, so personally I'm thrilled to see this. Hopefully other companies will follow.

OrangePeel

I think the biggest threat to the $1500-new RN2 Renown is the $750-used RN/RN1 Renown.
Yes, I saw a red sparkle (looked like a wrap) 24/13/16 Renown Maple in mint condition on Reverb for under $800. It was advertised as a limited edition finish. Even if it were a re-warp, I wouldn't have cared. 100% NA Rock Maple shells, excellent hardware, excellent sound, excellent quality control that the Renowns are known for. If I were in the market for a Renown, I'd have been all over that any day of the week rather than paying retail for a new blended-shell formula Renown in the same sizes.

I got a little miffed when Grestch started using the new Renown Shell formula. The original Renown Maples were all North American rock maple. Then, in 2013, it seems like Gretsch discontinued the Marquee line by merging the Marquee shell formula (Asian maple plies and rock maple plies) into the "new" Renown. The newer Renowns seem to be essentially Marquees with silver sealer and some different hardware. They seem to sound great and they look great. But, It kind of seems like Grestch cheapened the Renown line a little bit. At the price point the new Renowns are going for, it seems like there are better options from Pearl and Tama, to name a few. That being said, my experience with Renown Maples and hearing samples of the new Renowns tell me that anyone would be happy playing them.

Groov-E

Silver Member
Well, that pretty much blows two theories up!
1) Vintage drums sound better...
2) The tone of drums change for the better with age...
Well I guess it all depends on the true intentions of their marketing department.

The vintage one seems to be tuned lower and has next to zero sustain while the newer model has more body, a longer note and controlled yet more common resonance.

What gain is there to be made here by gretsch ? They probably don't stock more than a couple vintage kits for historic purposes, but they can manufacture a good number of the new model and make a profit out of them, right ?

So bad faith it probably is not, but all the signs point towards a good marketing strategy.

I would like to get an hour with each kit just to validate my theory, but that's not happening.

Groov-E

Silver Member
I played a kit and it felt and sounded great, and it looked awesome with good solid hardware.

I would buy one. Now as for finishes, on Monday I'd go white pearl, Wedsnesday would be the sparkly grey one, the oyster for Friday. But in the end right before I pulled the trigger I'd choke and take the black one.

Now I need to try a broadkaster, they intrigue me.

Hey Gretsch and I are buds again! Cool.

Destroyer772

Gold Member
I understand that they all so changed the bearing edge somewhat and modeled it after a 80's USA Custom tom that apparently sounded so good it was getting passed around to different studio's. I seen this on a NAMM or something similar, video off you tube. A Gretsch employee was showing the new Renown to a Magazine editor I assumed and mentioned it. Not the degree just the profile.

KamaK

Platinum Member
What are your thoughts of renown series from 2015-2016?
The Renown used to be a poor man's version of the USA Custom. I owned a 2010-ish RN kit for the better part of 2 years and had no complaints.

The new RN2 changes this up where it becomes a hybrid between the Brooklyn and the Custom. Almost a Marquee. I cannot imagine that the new config would disappoint anyone sonically, though it does seem to alienate anyone that wanted a cheap no-frills custom.

I like that they refreshed the sizes and made Bop configs available again. I like that snares are included now. Adding a BD tom-mount was probably a good idea for gigging drummers. I like that it's available in black again.

Last edited:

lalle81

What are your thoughts of renown series from 2015-2016?

I understand the hoops did change from the diecast to 302 hoops. Does it affect the sound alot? I understand the 302 will open up the sound a bit, but am I going to get a clear articulation as with diecast?

Do you know if the shell thickness is the same or did they change that?

Also read somewhere that they changed the bearing edge from an 80's tom. I know it still sure will sound as maple drums, but overall are they big changes in sound from earlier model?

Thanks!