gretsch broadkaster, should i buy?

Zimmo

hey, Ive been planning on buying a new set and I was going between ddrum reflex or gretsch energy, both shell packs, but the energy is poplar and reflex is made of alder. so i went for reflex. then, I went on guitar center used gear and saw a gretsch broadkaster, no snare for about 380-400 I did a little bit of research and found out that they are really good kits, but for that price?? that put me to think, maybe they are cracked or in really bad condition. so you tell me guys, should i get it? what should i expect? because, werent broadkasters replaced with the usa series? is it a really long price drop? should i better stay safe with the new reflex or buy the broadkaster and buy a snare with the extra money?
Thanks!

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Comparing DDrum to Gretsch....Gretsch FTW. I don't know that much about the Broadkasters but I do know that it's the better buy, assuming no damage.

Zimmo

Comparing DDrum to Gretsch....Gretsch FTW. I don't know that much about the Broadkasters but I do know that it's the better buy, assuming no damage.
yeah, but the bad thing is that I can not see it in person, its in another gc not even near me

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would not buy a used set of anyones drums if I could not see them. As I said in the other place you posted this without seeing the drums we can't offer much help.

opentune

Platinum Member
Hmmmm I'm suspicious, the Broadkasters I see on the bay are uber-expensive quality drums. these aren't in bad shape but can't see how they are priced so low, even used. Check out badges in Gretsch catalogs.....shouldn't Broadkasters have USA on them? These do not.

As others above, I'd resist buying used without seeing them, or at least asking for way more quality pics of all side of the drums, inside and out, from GC. Thats how used drums are sold on ebay...you get pics from all angles. I have gotten used drums on ebay, but they had lots of pics to document their condition better.

Nice looking kit tho, and I'd choose Gretsch way over ddrum.

slowrocker

Silver Member
Well I saw on guitar centers used gear a tama superstar for $180. It looked pretty new and in good shape. I went in and it was just a rockstar with one superstar tom. Not a bad deal, but still it was dishonest of them to advertise a nice set when it was a beginner kit. Might want to check and see if it is the real thing.

paistepower92

That is not a Broadkaster, they had powdercoated lugs and hoops, as well as satin finishes. They also had badges that were silver and black. Those are early Catalinas, most similar to the Catalina Club series.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
This kit is in a Guitar Center in McAllen, Texas. I have seen it and it is no BK. Turns out the staff were told it was a Broadkaster and believed it. They have been sitting on this kit for a while. They admitted they knew it wasn't a BK, but still advertise it as such.

Stixnergard2

That is not a Broadkaster, they had powdercoated lugs and hoops, as well as satin finishes. They also had badges that were silver and black. Those are early Catalinas, most similar to the Catalina Club series.
They are not Broadcaster's as mentioned, they are early Renown's.

?uesto

Silver Member
GC very often incorrectly give titles and prices to their gear. I bought a Mapex V-Series kit in great shape with all new heads for $64.99. The ball clamp for the tom holder was busted, so I grabbed a new one at work.

Sounds like a great deal for whatever they are. Maybe not USA's, but still great looking, great quality, and presumably great sounding drums for dirt cheap. If you like the sizes and finish, grab them!

samdrum

GC misleads with listings all of the time. They list things as something they are not. They also take generic pictures of items and give generic descriptions. There is no way that is a Gretsch Broadkaster. It would be at least twice their price for a good used set. I bought a Zildjain K hi-hat top from them once. No problems at all. Then I bought an A Custom crash from their online store. No mention of condition of the cymbal with a somewhat grainy generic picture. It was at a very good price. Needless to say too good of a price. When I received the cymbal it had a dent in the edge plus another noticeable deep dent near the outer edge. I sold it for basically nothing. Never again will I buy gear from them online.

That kit is not a Broadkaster nor a Renown. I have called that store a few times and they call it a BK "replica" or "tribute" kit. It has Catalina shells. NO silver sealer, cheaper lugs, etc.