Greatest Funk/Soul songs to learn?

rolaball

Im primarily into rock but love the style of funk and soul and new orleans groove so which songs would you consider learning for an intermediate drummer? Love Purdies shuffle but thats a bit too advanced for me right now! Also love the drumbeat from Scorpios Theme from the Dirty Harry film but cant remember who done it think its Paul something!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Somebody said it's John Guerin on the Dirty Harry soundtrack- Lalo Schifrin is the composer. He did some of the hippest/burningest TV and movie music of the 70's- check out his Medical Center theme (it's the last tune).

Here are some tunes to learn:
Stevie Wonder - Superstition, Higher Ground, He's Misstra Know It All, Too High, I Wish
The Meters - Cissy Strut, Live Wire, Look-ka Py Py
Bill Withers - Use Me, Ain't No Sunshine
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On, Got To Give It Up
Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools, Respect

Don't let the complexity of some of the grooves stop you from learning the tunes- you can always simplify them.

rolaball

Topgun for some reason your link wouldnt open for me Stanton Moores style is what I mean by new orleans groove and something like cissy strut already mentioned gui geek that is a great game soundtrack some very sweet tunes on there thanks!