Grade 8 Exam tomorrow afternoon

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
That's right, I finally got around to entering for this blasted exam. I've been working on the Trinity Diploma for a while, but can't do it properly until I've got my 8. Even though it's a formality and I'll fly through it, there's still nerves.

It's three prepared pieces, one accompanied by a backing track, a sight reading test and an improvisation test. Sounds easy right? Tell that to my butterflies.

Anyone else been through these? This will be my first one, so talk about trial by fire.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Thanks. I've been playing about 12-13 years. As I said, should have done this years ago. It's just ticking the box really so I can focus on the Associate's Diploma and keep teaching.

Mark_S

Silver Member
Closest I've done to that is grade 5 "rock school" exam, though I stopped doing that years ago. If I was going to do it again I would probably do Trinity instead, same as you. Maybe one day.

Good luck with it :)

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Hi all,

Just to let you all know I got an 89% distinction for my grade. My break down was as follows:

Rudimental study (Bo-Diddley) - 22/24
Accompanied (Overture) - 26/28 (100% for technical facility)
Unaccompanied solo (7evens) - 25/28
Sight reading - 8/10
Improvisation study - 8/10

Really, really happy, because I made some (what I considered to be) hefty mistakes. This was my first grading, so it was rather daunting, but I'm quite proud of myself :)

Sorry if this sounds like bragging, but I've just found out and I'm very pleased.

I start work on the Trinity Associate Diploma on Wednesday.

Thanks all

Last edited:
M

mediocrefunkybeat

Not bad at all. Put that one in the folder when anyone asks if you can sight read!

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
I don't umderstand. Is this so you can be a teacher? Either way good job bro
Yes and no. You can be a teacher without them, but they are a nationally recognised and respected qualification. For "serious musicians" they are a rite of passage really, it's expected you do them. If nothing else, it will aid with my teaching, as it is a recognised qualification.

Rock Drummer

Yes and no. You can be a teacher without them, but they are a nationally recognised and respected qualification. For "serious musicians" they are a rite of passage really, it's expected you do them. If nothing else, it will aid with my teaching, as it is a recognised qualification.
Oh ok I see now lol