Got a one-time teaching deal

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I love the barter system!

My wife and I got married in 2011 but just now got around to having our Will done. Not the best financial planning, but at least it's almost done. All we need to do is sign the paperwork Monday.

The attorney doing it is a close mutual friend we've known for years and is a good guy. He's also learning to play the drums through the School of Rock. Interestingly, he took his kid there to take classes and he himself got hooked in their adult program.

We went all the way thru school together, we're FB friends, so he knows I play drums,

He made an interesting deal with me: he'll waive the fee of preparing our Will if I give him some free drum lessons.

Honesly, I'm willing to share whatever I know, and am honored to be asked to teach him, but man, where and how do I start?

I'm at a loss for how to even approach this. I pray that I teach him right.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

let em poot the drum in the gig bag for 10 days over and over.... is like a karate kid thing where the student hangs his coat and and stuff :p .... now seriosly, start whit doem tss doem tss doem tss :) kick snare kick snare ... :) then mix the hats and boom :D first beat

I love the barter system!

My wife and I got married in 2011 but just now got around to having our Will done. Not the best financial planning, but at least it's almost done. All we need to do is sign the paperwork Monday.

The attorney doing it is a close mutual friend we've known for years and is a good guy. He's also learning to play the drums through the School of Rock. Interestingly, he took his kid there to take classes and he himself got hooked in their adult program.

We went all the way thru school together, we're FB friends, so he knows I play drums,

He made an interesting deal with me: he'll waive the fee of preparing our Will if I give him some free drum lessons.

Honesly, I'm willing to share whatever I know, and am honored to be asked to teach him, but man, where and how do I start?

I'm at a loss for how to even approach this. I pray that I teach him right.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

KamaK

Platinum Member
I used to instruct on guitar, but in a professional setting,

The point of the first lesson is to make it interesting and gratifying enough that they'll want to take subsequent lessons.

Where you go from there is governed by your evaluation of their current skill level.

Nice :)...................................

I used to instruct on guitar, but in a professional setting,

The point of the first lesson is to make it interesting and gratifying enough that they'll want to take subsequent lessons.

Where you go from there is governed by your evaluation of their current skill level.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
He is at beginner level. No formal musical training. He's playing drum kit in the "School of Rcck", which teaches them some songs, they play a few gigs, etc. He knows a few very simple grooves. I've heard him play and he's good for an 50ish adult beginner.

What's a good reference CD or book he can get, or lessons online?

Thanks,

Super Phil

I've been using Carmine Appice's Ultimate Realistic Rock for beginners for years...that and a photocopy of the 40 rudiments.