Got a nice compliment at a gig last week

EricT43

I am a rock drummer at heart, but I play in a classic blues trio as a way to get more playing experience and to expand my musical repertoire. We had a gig last weekend and after the show someone came up to me and said I am "the shuffle king"! Now, I'm not worthy to take that title away from Bernard Purdie and the other greats, but it made me feel good nonetheless.

For me this drove home the value of playing outside your comfort zone and practice, practice, practice. I don't really like the blues, I never listen to it unless I'm learning material for this band. But playing shuffles feels good! After all the practice I've had with this band, I can play them much better than when I started, and it has helped aspects of my rock drumming, such as ghost note dynamics.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
A little well timed encouragement can go a long ways for all of us.
Mark Twain said "I can live two months on a good compliment."
You should be covered for June and July!

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I am a rock drummer at heart, but I play in a classic blues trio as a way to get more playing experience and to expand my musical repertoire. We had a gig last weekend and after the show someone came up to me and said I am "the shuffle king"! Now, I'm not worthy to take that title away from Bernard Purdie and the other greats, but it made me feel good nonetheless.

For me this drove home the value of playing outside your comfort zone and practice, practice, practice. I don't really like the blues, I never listen to it unless I'm learning material for this band. But playing shuffles feels good! After all the practice I've had with this band, I can play them much better than when I started, and it has helped aspects of my rock drumming, such as ghost note dynamics.

I feel the sawe way about the blues, but I have also been thinking about trying to expand my repertoire by playing different styles. Your post reminded me of this is idea. Looks like it's time to break out the old blues records.

Congrats on the kudo!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That’s awesome! I’m doing the same thing, but playing in a pseudo heavy metal band - so it’s technically very easy for me, but it’s hard because of the attitude I don’t have for it ;)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That’s awesome! I’m doing the same thing, but playing in a pseudo heavy metal band - so it’s technically very easy for me, but it’s hard because of the attitude I don’t have for it ;)
So how is that going? Are you enjoying it? Was actually thinking about this today.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
What a great compliment. I’ve been of the same mindset. I need to play in a band that pushes me. Someday, I hope to find it. :)

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So how is that going? Are you enjoying it? Was actually thinking about this today.
It's going ok. I got them to let me sing "The Wind Cries Mary" and we're gonna start working on "Won't Get Fooled Again" once I get the sequenced keyboard part going. So they're leaning my way for a bit anyway. That hair metal stuff from the 80s is just not my cup of tea, but the people in the band are great.

BUT - a newer development is that the Devo tribute band is in the process of creating a press package. We're actually recording our parts separately to make the audio for a video we're shooting after the 1st. And I got my yellow suit! Woo hoo!

alparrott

Platinum Member
I posted a video the other day here on DW which features a stanky shuffle beat and got a few positive comments. Getting the shuffle to feel natural has been a lot of work for me, cured by a lot of sets at the local blues jam and joining a band with a very bluesy repertoire. It's nice to have someone compliment you on something on which you have worked very hard.

BruceW

Same applies to me when I started playing in a variety band that added some country stuff to the classic rock standards and such. Country has never been my thing, and to be honest a lot of what we're doing is like most modern country (pop or rock with a twang) but I end up doing a lot of more traditional sounding stuff upon occasion, and its good to learn and stretch.

Keep on keepin' on, have fun!

brentcn

Platinum Member

Man, shuffles are no joke! It's easy enough to write them out, but making them feel good is another matter altogether. Add on to that: supporting a soloist, supplying the appropriate dynamics -- it's more complex than playing a song. You have a cyclical form (sometimes), and you have to actively, intelligently accompany a soloist, in order to make them shine. To play the blues well, is a hurdle many do not clear. Kudos!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
A great shuffle is a thing of beauty. You probably deserved the compliment because anyone who even uses the term shuffle....probably understands it.

The hardest part of playing blues is resisting the urge to fill lol.

I get so many props when I just keep time, because it works.

It feels backwards.

Some person: You were killing it!

Me: Hey thanks! (thinking) I was just keeping the beat, that's it.

Hey that's what people respond to, so I'm good with not filling. I think it's actually refreshing to them.