Got a huge compliment last night!

joshvibert

I've always prided myself on being a good single kick player. I've never owned a double pedal and have only played one a handful of times. I've always felt that unless I was keeping straight 16ths for metal (which I don't play) that I should be able to do anything I needed/wanted to.

I've started playing a regular gig again at a 24/7 worship house that I used to be on staff with. When I left, I was the "main" drummer. Coming back in, I've tried to be super humble and not assume anything. The guy who is now the "main" drummer is very good, has a music degree (I don't) and has won some high level competitions. He ended up playing bass for our set last night and afterword, he and I were discussing gear. He asked me what kind of double pedal I played, to which I replied, " A DW 5000 SINGLE pedal...."smile"

Last edited:

BillBachman

Gold Member
Cool, the beautiful thing about having a quick right foot is that you less often have to desert ostinatos that involve your left foot.

DanJacobs

Nice one JV :)

if you have good bass drum technique then theres a lot you can do with a single pedal.

My bass drum lessons is here but its pretty short

keep up the good work

uniongoon

Gold Member
Going to see Dom Famularo tomorrow, I had the pleasure of going out to a bar with him around 89 and he went on stage with my friends band. His single foot was awesome, so your story reminded me .

joshvibert

Hello mate,

Do you have any videos demonstrating your technique?

cheers
Unfortunately, no. I don't even have a way to record my drums or a video camera besides my cell phone. I will share how I got there, though:

I marched snare drum in high school. Our line was pretty good and took top honors at a few indoor competitions. In order get to that level, the playing had to be perfectly clean. We adopted the saying, "If it's not clean, you don't have it." This came from a lot of folks burning through something with a few stumbles along the way, but claiming that they "had it."

So what I did was take our 16th note and triplet pattern snare warm ups and started playing them with one foot on the kick to a metronome. Only go as fast as you can keep it clean. It doesn't do you any good to fly through something with a bunch of mistakes.

Once you can play it clean, then speed it up.

Good luck!

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
mike johnston has tons of helpful videos on how to develope foot speed with certain exercises... BUT it usually doesnt come quickly and can take a lot of practice to get that "feel" just right....the way the pedal moves under your foot has this certain feeling when you know your doing it right, it becomes almost effortless. its hard to explain but just be patient and work hard and it WILL come.

DanJacobs

The thing to understand that when playing two very fast notes on a single pedal it isn't having to do two things with the foot. It's a single 'motion' that, as said previously, does take a little time to get used to.
I was actually taught the Toe/Heel method when i studied in London but i play the exact opposite - getting the first note with the Heel and playing the second note with the Toe but as a single motion.

Perhaps the initial thing to think about is the timing of when to lift the Heel and then the motion, with practice, should flow effortlessly!

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
The thing to understand that when playing two very fast notes on a single pedal it isn't having to do two things with the foot. It's a single 'motion' that, as said previously, does take a little time to get used to.
I was actually taught the Toe/Heel method when i studied in London but i play the exact opposite - getting the first note with the Heel and playing the second note with the Toe but as a single motion.

Perhaps the initial thing to think about is the timing of when to lift the Heel and then the motion, with practice, should flow effortlessly!
yeah, you're defenitely correct, think of it as one motion instead of two, because when you speed it up its like one downward thrust with the foot that creates two notes.

joshvibert

yeah, you're defenitely correct, think of it as one motion instead of two, because when you speed it up its like one downward thrust with the foot that creates two notes.
That is "A" technique, but not necessarily "THE" technique. I don't see how a person can play consistent 16ths or 16th patterns if all they can do is heel-toe or bouce-slide a double out of a single downward stroke. Control of each stroke is the way to really get there.

DanJacobs

That is "A" technique, but not necessarily "THE" technique. I don't see how a person can play consistent 16ths or 16th patterns if all they can do is heel-toe or bouce-slide a double out of a single downward stroke. Control of each stroke is the way to really get there.
There is only one person who can control the single motion to obtain two notes and that is YOU!

All you need to do is practice and the control will come to be able to play the 'motion' at different speeds to obtain various sub-divisions with the bass drum which can then be applied to various styles and incorporated into zillions of phrases to enable you to compliment in performance and make your drumming as musical and effortless as possible so long as your practice is ergonomically right.

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
I was mostly commenting on how to achieve quick doubles, obviously for a steady stream of quick 16th notes you would have to just use some sort of pumping motion from your foot/leg, or adopt a form of heel toe.