Good solo, and unusual set up from an italian drummer, check it out.

cathartic_j

I was bored and clicked on to something else before he was finished.
nice idea but the solo is boring....
I do think it went on a bit too long, but I actually thought it was very well developed musically: variations on a theme, while gradually moving from somewhat sparse to fairly dense playing.

I'd prefer a good solid kit drummer & a percussionist. Very clever but mostly impractical ... I'd catagorize this as complication for complication's sake. Back to my original thought. Imagine how much better a dynamic drummer and talented percussionist working in unison would sound by comparison.
Two pianists can play more than one, but piano solos are generally more common than duets. I agree that it felt very much like he was playing a solo as well as an accompany part, and I understand how you could see that as "complication for complication's sake," but I just see it as a choice to make the piece for one player. Considering the minimalist qualities of the "solo" part in the feet and the straightforward accompaniment with the hands, I would actually argue that the goal wasn't exactly to be complicated. (To be clear, "minimalist" here doesn't mean "playing sparsely"; I'm using it in the composition sense -- heavy repetition of key phrases, while a few different, "key" notes are the real melody. "Rhythm Song" by Paul Smadbeck is an example of this.)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I'd prefer a good solid kit drummer & a percussionist. Very clever but mostly impractical. The whole thing is based around using a flying bass drum to free up the feet for effects & syncopation. Cool in itself but limits the core groove potential. I'm impressed with the dedication & blue sky thinking associated with this. I certainly wouldn't have the skill, patience or inclination to do it. I'd catagorize this as complication for complication's sake. Back to my original thought. Imagine how much better a dynamic drummer and talented percussionist working in unison would sound by comparison.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Well, hats off to the guy for getting that much independence down. That said, I was bored and clicked on to something else before he was finished.