Good practice pad?

Right now I'm using a silencer pad on my hardwood table. It slides all over the place and the rebound is terrible lol. Any recommendations for a decently priced but quality practice pad?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
If you already have basic technique down, my desert Island pad would be this. https://www.xymoxpercussion.com/products/custom-reserve-pads.html

If you're learning to use rebound any bouncy rubber will do, like the RealFeel, Gretsch or whatever.

For silent and very little rebound you got stuff like Reflexx and Moongel pads.

Prologix pads are popular now, They make a bunch of different ones. I'm not a rubber fan in general, but many seem to like them and they're seem to be less expensive than most.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
If you already have basic technique down, my desert Island pad would be this. https://www.xymoxpercussion.com/products/custom-reserve-pads.html

If you're learning to use rebound any bouncy rubber will do, like the RealFeel, Gretsch or whatever.

For silent and very little rebound you got stuff like Reflexx and Moongel pads.

Prologix pads are popular now, They make a bunch of different ones. I'm not a rubber fan in general, but many seem to like them and they're seem to be less expensive than most.
Been using Prologix blue for years. it isn't rubber. It's more like a thick mousepad on wood with a rim. The red one is more like a rubber realfeel but feels nicer and not so hard.

I want a reflexx/moongel but they cost a fair bit.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Been using Prologix blue for years. it isn't rubber. It's more like a thick mousepad on wood with a rim. The red one is more like a rubber realfeel but feels nicer and not so hard.

I want a reflexx/moongel but they cost a fair bit.
I really have to try the blue and red Prologix.

I believe I said it a couple of years ago. One of these days I'm actually gonna have to get off my arse and do it. Your admiration for these things has been staunch and unwavering for a long time now. You should ask the company for a drink. You've certainly sold me!!

I have the moongel. Awesome for a crushing workout. Highly recommend it. But that said, I wouldn't want it as my only pad. It's a great supplement for all the pads that offer a little too much rebound.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I've tried the moongel and like it, but I agree, I couldn't JUST have the one pad.. I need a bit of rebound... I often practice rudiments on my floor tom at the kit.. It's a great way to get those doubles warm. then I move them around the whole kit for a while. THAT is the reason I like the prologic blue. it's like a tight floortom would be my best comparison. or a rack tom. The red is more like a snare. When I gig I have the little 6 inch one that has a red on one side and blue on the other. I like that I can rip on the blue side for 10 minutes and be nice and warm, then flip to the red side for a confidence boost and to get things working at top speed.

I'm not a sales guy, and any pad works. I REALLY want to buy a reflexxx. but I will say my hands are still improving all the time and it's 100% due to NOT using pads like the Evans Real Feel, Billy Hyde, or the RED prologix all day. free rebounds help nobody.

I've been using the same a Vic Firth pad for about 15 years, maybe more. It has a non skid pad on the bottom so you can place it on the table, combined with its weight, it doesn't move. I like the rebound, it does the job.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
A snare drum with the snares off and a T-shirt draped fully over it makes a great practice pad.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
The moongel is just dead. You can replicate with old t-shirt or towel on top of your rubber pad well enough until you get one.

The main thing about the Reflexx is really that it's so quiet. It's a real option for hotel rooms, on stage warm-up and rehearsals.

I could do well with just the Xymos. It's a laminate top and I guess there are some others doing that now. It's got the right type of rebound and just a little but less than my snare. Though it feels good to play, it's a real task master if you're not loose enough. Though the right bounce it's definetly harder than a drum, so you'll feel it, which I find a good thing. It's the only pad I've played that's really helped my technique and that also has no real potential to harm it.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I really like the Aquarian Super Pad.
Great response, super quiet and comes in a variety of sizes.
I got the 10" size.
I've bought a bunch of different brands of pads over the years, but I really love this one.
If something happened to the one I have, I would buy the same thing again.