Good new/Bad News

MaryO

Platinum Member
So the good news is that I'm feeling like I've really progressed in just the last couple of months. I know I'm playing things now I couldn't have played just a few short weeks ago..things are falling into place. Even on simple songs I'm finding I'm playing a little more complex beat than just the basic rock beat and I'm throwing in a few fills I was never able to accomplish before. I'm also seeing a definite improvement in my seperation of hands and feet...still miles to go but I can definitely see the difference. It's a good feeling.

Bad news...I've been having some knee trouble and got the official diagosis of arthritis in both knees today. It's not as bad as I had feared and the worst of the two is my left knee so at least it's not my bass drum leg but still, a little concerning. Hoping medication will take care of most of the problem for now and won't have to think about anything like surgery for a while. Just hoping it won't hinder my continued progress.

Ah the problems those of us who start this journey at a more advanced age must endure. :)

The medication they are giving me is Meloxicam or "Mobic". Just curious, have any of you been on this and how has it worked for you?

MaryO

Spreggy

Silver Member
I don't know anything about arthritis, but I am wondering if you are putting in that microsecond of leg relaxation between beats with your feet. Those little moments add up, and crucial to long term health and your ability to play a set without strain.

Toolate

Platinum Member
Dont know about the meds either but I wonder if there is a consensus on heel up or down being better foir the knee? Think about your technique a little too. Maybe the heel down would take a lot of pressure off it.

A

audiotech

My girlfriend had the same problem. About 11 years ago when she was 52, I won't mention to anyone her current age, she had the arthritis scraped from both her knees in an out patient surgery. She put up with the pain for several years before taking any steps to rectify It. The procedure worked very well and she was on her feet again in a matter of days. Not to scare you, but at that time the surgeon told her that in about 10 years she would have to undergo a complete knee replacement. We'll last year, 10 years to the month, she had her left knee placed. She actually used my double bass drum pedal in some of her exercises about a week after she got out of the hospital. There are a lot of different medications and injections today that will ease the discomfort of arthritis that wasn't available 11 years ago and the outlook is better results and much quicker recovery times for knee problems.

Dennis

kettles

Gold Member
My dad was a builder for 30 years and had to retire at 50 due to arthritis and other joint trouble. Around the same time he went vegetarian and cleaned up his diet and within a few months most of the problems went away. He was able to start running 5km everyday and now (13ish years later) rides a bike 18km+ every day. If I were you I would take a serious look at your diet before popping any meds.

You should also check your posture at the kit, leg angles and whatnot. I get all sorts of weird muscle pains if my throne height and distance-to-pedal are not exactly where I need them.

larryz

Platinum Member
Sorry to hear about your knees Mary. I think you're a great inspiration to many here (incl me) that's why I'll just give you my opinion. Doctors only know drugs to treat symptoms and most know nothing about treating the underlying cause of your problem. Medications, then what? Surgery? "F" that. I'd suggest go the chiropractic route and see a naturopath or nutritionist. The majority of health problems can be attributed to diet. I use something called HA Plus on a daily basis, as I run 60-90 minutes a day I'm addicted to running I'll admit. I gotta be outside, etc. Been doing it for 20+ years and I'm 46. Rceently I had plantar fasciitis (heel pain) bad until taking this HA Plus product and I'm back to normal. It will help you. It takes time though to see results. Could be 1-2 months maybe 3 but you will see results. Just my 2 cents. Hope things work out :)

http://www.nutritionalfrontiers.com/myfiles/HA Plus Veg Powder(1).pdf

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
When I first started playing drums, my knees started to ache. I raised my seat up a few inches, and the pain went away.

So, you might want to experiment with your seat height.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
About 11 years ago when she was 52, I won't mention to anyone her current age
Dennis
I think you might just have given the game away there Dennis :) :) :)

Mary, just go with the flow, & adjust your overall position for best comfort/least occurance of discomfort in your knees. DED's seat height adjustment is an excellent suggestion. Great to hear of your playing progress :)

MaryO

Platinum Member
Thanks everyone...I'll talk all of your advice into consideration. I'm doing a little research myself, especially on the diet and exercise information. I am back on my diet that I had been on at the end of last year on which I lost over 20 lbs. I've gained about 5 back so it's time to get back on it...I'm sure a little more weight loss will help as well. I'm slowly working my way back into some excercise as well (treadmill, a little yoga stretching, etc).

I'm not adverse to medication (I'm not on a single medication now and haven't been for a very long time, other than an occasional over the counter ibuprofen) so I'm not in fear of overloading on meds. I do believe that sometimes meds can help and if they help the inflammation and pain enough to allow me to get back to doing some exercise I haven't been able to do than I feel that's a good thing. I seem them as an aid, not as the whole treatment and always have the goal of being able to discontinue them as soon as possible.

However, if it ever comes to surgery, I'll definitely think long and hard about that. I just had a co-worker who died after knee replacement surgery. She was doing great and was even back to work after about 7 weeks but died very suddenly and unexpectedly from blood clots that had formed. So I am very leary about surgery and that will only be a last resort for me. Diet, exercise and the occasional med is the route I'm hoping to take at this point.

Thanks for all of your support!

MaryO

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sorry to hear about your knees Mary. I think you're a great inspiration to many here (incl me) that's why I'll just give you my opinion. Doctors only know drugs to treat symptoms and most know nothing about treating the underlying cause of your problem. Medications, then what? Surgery? "F" that. I'd suggest go the chiropractic route and see a naturopath or nutritionist. The majority of health problems can be attributed to diet. I use something called HA Plus on a daily basis, as I run 60-90 minutes a day I'm addicted to running I'll admit. I gotta be outside, etc. Been doing it for 20+ years and I'm 46. Rceently I had plantar fasciitis (heel pain) bad until taking this HA Plus product and I'm back to normal. It will help you. It takes time though to see results. Could be 1-2 months maybe 3 but you will see results. Just my 2 cents. Hope things work out :)

http://www.nutritionalfrontiers.com/myfiles/HA Plus Veg Powder(1).pdf
I agree with larry here....I would not trust your body to western medicine, no way. He's right, drugs and surgery are the only methods in their vocabulary, and that's not good at all for you and I. The internet has so much information now, that it's in your best interest to try and educate yourself about the many alternative methods to relieve your issues. I would not take any of the pharmaceutical poisons your "good" doctor recommends, or let them cut you. No way. Diet is very important and there are many other alternative ways to heal yourself. Western doctors have no interest in healing you. You are a cash cow to them. Charlatans. You go larryz, I'm with you brother. Western medicine is a morally wrong enterprise in my mind, bordering on criminal. Sorry, that's the way I feel.