Good day/bad day check-in

Had a bad day and one of many these past few months. Seems I cant get anything to feel right anymore. I've been analysing my technique and still seems to have no gains in the feet department while my hands stay relatively the same. For the first time in these 3 or so years i t feels like a chore to get behind the kit, as if i am doing it just to chase my dreams of getting out of this town by being a musician

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Terrible day, moved into a house a month ago, checked the loft yesterday (I work away from home) and we have a fly infestation going on up there. So instead of spending six hours behind my new kit, I'm spending 6 hours killing and hoovering up flies.
Thousands and thousands of them, dirty b******s.
A very wise philosopher once said; "time's fun when you're having flies".

dmacc

Platinum Member
Very good day last Sunday. I went into the studio to lay down a couple tracks. The engineer was smiling, talking to another musician, pointing at the computer monitor. Afterwards, I found out that he was pointing out how perfectly my drum part lined up with the grid. Since that's what I was going for - something very solid and straight - it really kind of made my day. Just last year, I was hitting some rough spots. I think focusing on recording last winter really cleaned up some microtiming issues for me.
Good deal! Nothing like tracking to expose various things. Sounds like you've resolved those issues from last year. Way to go!!!

johnkeats

Some days are the best when we catch the correct beats and play in tune. Some days its horrible, some things do not go well, either we have problem in sitting comfortably, keeping the legs on the drum beat. Some day we have problem in our hand or fingers which seems not to move as per our need. In our mind we are correctly tuned but the hands does not move as per out thoughts. Best thing to do for these days are to stop practice and do something different. Music is something if not played or heard in tune has no meaning.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Very good day last Sunday. I went into the studio to lay down a couple tracks. The engineer was smiling, talking to another musician, pointing at the computer monitor. Afterwards, I found out that he was pointing out how perfectly my drum part lined up with the grid. Since that's what I was going for - something very solid and straight - it really kind of made my day.
That's a big deal, & as you know, not easy. Says a lot about you as a player, & we often forget that delivering in this way is actually our job!!!! Great result :)

sdedge

Bad day car broke down cost 900€ GRRR . cars are bad investments .
But did a good rehearsal,so that a good thing.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Bad day for personal reasons. But a good week overall for music. Playing a couple sessions this week and can play a lot more music because I took some vacation time from work.

Also, my new Ludwig Atlas Pro Double Pedal arrived today! Can't wait to take it out of the box and start using it tomorrow.

DrummerSneed

Bad quarter as far as finances, relationships, and other such things. Should be a good weekend music wise as I have about 3 different music things lined up.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Really good day today. Did some recording and worked out on my new double pedal—I love it!

AZslim

OK, I'm a little late but this weekend I had a pretty incredible good day bad day experience.

First, it was a bad day when I went to the doctor and felt like I had run a marathon when I hadn't. He immediately sent me to the emergency room. While at the hospital, they discovered two blocked arteries in my heart and installed two stents. Afterword, they told me I was this close to a MASSIVE heart attack.

The good day happened when it was all said and done I feel better than I have in years, I didn't have a heart attack and essentially have been given a fresh new life!

Sure, I have some lifestyle changes to go through since I was a huuuuge dumbass for 35 years or more but that is minor.

I am the luckiest guy on the planet the way this all worked out.

It sure changed my perspective on a LOT of things. I don't even mind sucking at playing drums anymore for one thing!

Nancy_C

OK, I'm a little late but this weekend I had a pretty incredible good day bad day experience.

First, it was a bad day when I went to the doctor and felt like I had run a marathon when I hadn't. He immediately sent me to the emergency room. While at the hospital, they discovered two blocked arteries in my heart and installed two stents. Afterword, they told me I was this close to a MASSIVE heart attack.

The good day happened when it was all said and done I feel better than I have in years, I didn't have a heart attack and essentially have been given a fresh new life!
Wow! Glad to hear that frightening, dangerous event turned out OK for you. Maybe some other folks (here and elsewhere) will make necessary changes after hearing about your experience.

A new lease on life is an awesome (in the real meaning of that word) thing! Best wishes to you going forward.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Good day. This was day four of National Hospital week. Free lunch and a nice frozen dessert from Ritas. Tomorrow day off, birthday.

Attachments

8Mile

Platinum Member

Sure, I have some lifestyle changes to go through since I was a huuuuge dumbass for 35 years or more but that is minor.

I am the luckiest guy on the planet the way this all worked out.

It sure changed my perspective on a LOT of things. I don't even mind sucking at playing drums anymore for one thing!
Holy cow, man. That's crazy, but so glad to hear things turned out for the best!

AZslim

Holy cow, man. That's crazy, but so glad to hear things turned out for the best!
It is crazy. I feel great and have whole new perspective on a lot of things. One example pertinent to this group is as I was practicing tonight (the first time since the procedure last Saturday because they went int through my wrist), I am now able to forgive myself for drumming mistakes and as a result I enjoy playing even more than before.

jspitza

Bad Day:
Just found out that my little slip on the outside step a few days ago resulted in a broken 5th Metatarsal and can't drive for 4-6 weeks.
Good day:
Today I was fitted with a boot and that it should heal in about 8 weeks, provided I follow my Dr's orders. I'm nervous because we move to another, awesome home on June 10th but won't be able to use my right foot at all. I can now concentrate on my wrists and maybe my left foot (it gets a bit soar because its now dominant) with a double pedal. I guess I'm grateful that's its a very common and clean break and that I can at least walk. Now tomorrow...............Take care, Jeff

HMNY

Silver Member
It is crazy. I feel great and have whole new perspective on a lot of things. One example pertinent to this group is as I was practicing tonight (the first time since the procedure last Saturday because they went int through my wrist), I am now able to forgive myself for drumming mistakes and as a result I enjoy playing even more than before.
AZslim, happy to read of your bad day turned good! Be well, best wishes.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Checking in on this old thread with not only a good day, but a good entire weekend. I played gigs Friday and Saturday night and I got two of the best compliments I've received in a long time.

A really fine musician who sat in with our rock and blues cover band Friday night said, "You're a great drummer; you have great time."

Last night, I played with a little jazz quartet I've been jamming with recently. These are fine musicians, and their former drummer, who used to tour as a full-time pro on the big band circuit, was in the audience. We got to talking and when he found out I had a day job, he looked surprised and said, "I can't believe you don't do this full-time."

I think this has been discussed here before, but not all compliments are equal. For a weekend warrior like me, those are about the nicest words I could hear.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Checking in on this old thread with not only a good day, but a good entire weekend. I played gigs Friday and Saturday night and I got two of the best compliments I've received in a long time.

A really fine musician who sat in with our rock and blues cover band Friday night said, "You're a great drummer; you have great time."

Last night, I played with a little jazz quartet I've been jamming with recently. These are fine musicians, and their former drummer, who used to tour as a full-time pro on the big band circuit, was in the audience. We got to talking and when he found out I had a day job, he looked surprised and said, "I can't believe you don't do this full-time."

I think this has been discussed here before, but not all compliments are equal. For a weekend warrior like me, those are about the nicest words I could hear.
Excellent news - just makes you feel good about your passion :)

Magenta

Platinum Member

That's made me go warm and fuzzy. And how good of them to actually say those things to you, rather than just think them.