Good day/bad day check-in

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Today I showed up to practice and was greeted with a homemade plywood sound wall painted flat black. We used to have a regular Plexiglas or acrylic sound wall (I don't know what they're made of), but the owner of the sound wall decided he needed it back again. So, Bob, the band leader, made one of his own. It was four or five equal sections with hinges. I'm on a riser, so I could only see the tops of everyone's heads. It was odd to say the least. We need some little windows in it or something. I was off a little tonight because there was a little disconnect there with the rest of the band. I couldn't see them! Oh well, we'll have to see how it goes next week. Maybe he will modify the sound wall a little.

AZStickman

Started working on a new fill using a six stroke sequence
R,L,R,L,L,K .......... Working it up to speed on the snare and then will start moving the sticking around the kit until it is coming comfortably and feels natural. Then I'll start working it into fills........ New stuff is always fun. I always feel like I'm in the deep end of the pool with cement boots on when I start.......... Terry

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Good day! Signed the lease and got the keys for my new place. My wife gets her big kitchen, my daughter gets a bigger bedroom, my dogs get a fenced in yard to run around in, and I get an 18'x12' room for my drums. I couldn't be any happier!

8Mile

Platinum Member
8mile checking in with a good AND bad day.

I spent the whole day playing music. First, auditioning a bass player for my about-to-be-formed jazz band. Then, off to a gig to debut my friend's CD release by performing it live in its entirety.

That made it a good day.

But I flubbed some things on the gig, and I'm kind of down on myself about it. We had precious little time to rehearse, some of the parts being decided the night before the gig. But I thought I took good notes and would nail it. Unfortunately, I came in at the wrong time a few times throughout the show. I wanted to give my friend a flawless performance but I came up short. It seems like the show was a big success, but I know what I did wrong and so does he and I have to admit, it is nagging at me.

So that part was a bad day.

Now, I'm just tired.

Mike_L

Most days are in between since my drums are at my guitarist's place and we only get to play once a week as it's a bit of a drive. But I ordered a new set of CMs last night, so It's been a good day daydreaming about my future tubs. Not sure how long that feeling will last as I become increasingly impatient, though.

HMNY

Silver Member
Congrats to both of you guys, I know it's very tough to do, but trust me, having lost my Father to smoking related illness, it's a good, great, achievement, my utmost respect to you both.

H

Juniper

Gold Member
Bad day, the fiancé dragged me round shops all day as we're decorating our bedroom over the next couple days. By the sixth hour, looking at cushions, I had to call it a day.

But then we had a little jam when we got home for about an hour, her on the guitar and me on the kit so it got a lot better.

con struct

Platinum Member
Very good day. My COPD is so mild as to hardly be there, according to my pulmonologist Dr. Velasquez. He was all smiles. I passed my breathing test with flying colors. To celebrate, I bought myself a large chocolate milkshake at Dairy Queen.

Mike_L

Wow.

I finally got my kit home from my guitar players house after six months. During that time I only got to play MAYBE once a week. (It would have been more, but he lives 10 miles out into the country) But I set up today at my house and as I was practicing, I was able to figure out and play these independence patterns that I had never been able to play before, ever.. It makes me wonder if all that time off was a good thing.

But anyway.....VERY GOOD day.

groove1

Silver Member
bad day....kind of a carpel tunnel thing in my right elbow from repetitive motion yardwork which interferes with playing....taking too much ibuprofen lately....not great for the kidneys, but I have outlived too many of my buddies already!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Very good day. My COPD is so mild as to hardly be there, according to my pulmonologist Dr. Velasquez. He was all smiles. I passed my breathing test with flying colors. To celebrate, I bought myself a large chocolate milkshake at Dairy Queen.
Well now your lungs and your tongue feel better. good day.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I had a good day yesterday. Played a gig with the garage band and the place was absolutely packed. We did a great job and got an invitation to play on New Year's Eve! For money! This will be only my 2nd New Year's Eve gig. The first one was just a backyard party. I'm jazzed! I love playing holiday gigs.

lowdowner

(very, very) good day!

I haven't played for about 10 weeks - I dunno, just lost all my mojo (and my confidence).

Picked up the sticks today for the first time since then and it was really great - even though I didn't start playing until last year, it still felt like home and I really enjoyed myself :)

Juniper

Gold Member
Absolutely fantastic day today.

One day only in the studio (with about 3 available hours I could offer) to setup, check and nail two songs. Been nervous about recording these numbers as they are only a week old, we've rehearsed them about 4times as a full band and the are lots of stops and starts to nail. No pressure.

First song- Got it in one take
Second song. Got the first take nailed in one using rutes throughout, then the band decided they wanted me to switch from rutes to sticks in the second half of the number. They punched me in and I managed to play along with my already recorded second half, perfectly in time with my drums and the guitars/vocals.

Made up. Today was a great day.

Drummerboyo

Terrible day, moved into a house a month ago, checked the loft yesterday (I work away from home) and we have a fly infestation going on up there. So instead of spending six hours behind my new kit, I'm spending 6 hours killing and hoovering up flies.
Thousands and thousands of them, dirty b******s.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Very good day last Sunday. I went into the studio to lay down a couple tracks. The engineer was smiling, talking to another musician, pointing at the computer monitor. Afterwards, I found out that he was pointing out how perfectly my drum part lined up with the grid. Since that's what I was going for - something very solid and straight - it really kind of made my day. Just last year, I was hitting some rough spots. I think focusing on recording last winter really cleaned up some microtiming issues for me.

mikel

Platinum Member
Congrats! I'll be seeing my three months in about two weeks, and I can't wait to brag about it to everybody I know
Well done both of you. I gave up a 40 a day habit about 25 years ago and its still the best thing I ever did.

Now, with all the cash you will save you can buy more shiny drummy things.