(Golf) Gloves for Drumming

cobamnator

What do you guys think?

Golf vs "Drummers" Gloves?

How do you think it effects your personal Technique? (Does it inprove your grip, Help with sore hands / calluses, decrease or increase speed ect.)

What are your favorite brands / types of gloves (Flexibility , Durability , Breathability , ect)?

What is the percentage of drummers out there that use them?

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
When I was playing really hard in my younger days, I wore golf gloves. Loved 'em. I used to get these blisters or spots where my skin used to split. Helped immensely.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i was having problems with my skin on my fingers splitting so i got a pair of meinl drumming gloves. i thought they were going to be terrible, but they're not. it's surprisingly easy to play with them and they really help keeping my skin from splitting open.

Spreggy

Silver Member
I played with golf gloves 20 years ago, because I got tired of band-aids. Then I learned how to play with dynamics and more along the lines of a free stroke, and the necessity disappeared. In my opinion if you need gloves, you're doing it wrong.

cobamnator

I understand all the hate around gloves. People say if you need them your doing it wrong ect.

But what about Stewart Copeland?

What about Carter Beauford?

These guys are universally recognized for their extraordinary technical finesse.

What am I missing here???

dairyairman

Platinum Member
in my case, i don't think i'm doing anything wrong. i have a very loose grip and loose style. i never get blisters, only weird splits in my skin, usually on my right pinky finger. i think it's because i practice for long periods on my electronic kit which has hard rubber pads. i believe the shock of the stick hitting the pads causes it to vibrate violently and split open my skin. i don't really know, but that's my theory.

anyway, the gloves worked out way better than i thought they would. aside from helping with the skin splits they also improve my grip on the sticks. i can drum just fine without them, and i only wear them for practice, but they definitely help with the skin splits. if you're interested in them, i'd say buy some and give them a try. they're not very expensive and they're not going to hurt you or mess up your drumming.

Spreggy

Silver Member
I understand all the hate around gloves. People say if you need them your doing it wrong ect.

But what about Stewart Copeland?

What about Carter Beauford?

These guys are universally recognized for their extraordinary technical finesse.

What am I missing here???
They're doing it wrong too.
j/k bud, do whatever makes you a happy drummer. Golf gloves do work well for the purpose.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've found the gloves to be very helpful when the weather changes. When it starts to get cold, my skin tightens up and it splits open, so I don't think it has anything to do with bad technique.

However, Hannah Ford uses gloves. She must rock!

(That oughta' get some of you goin'.... ;)

dairyairman

Platinum Member
I've found the gloves to be very helpful when the weather changes. When it starts to get cold, my skin tightens up and it splits open, so I don't think it has anything to do with bad technique.
that's exactly what i'm talking about! it always happens in the winter time when it's cold and dry! that's when the gloves are the most useful to me.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I've never played with gloved but I don't look down on people who do. It's just another tool to help.

I have noticed golf gloves do look a lot like drumming gloves, very tight-fitting and sensitive, so I would think they would work.

cobamnator

I have to let you guys know. I just got a pair of Bionic Golf Gloves...Wow....just....wow!

I really can't believe this, guys.

For one, they are SUPER Flexible, Breathable, Durable, and Skin-like.

I tried some Drumming gloves at the music store...Mediocre at best.
I also tried some golf gloves (Nike, Taylor-made, and a few others that I cant remember.), and some of them were pretty good...some more than others.

Then someone told me about these Bionic Gloves. I went ahead and got some. WOW, I’m glad I took the plunge.

They are the best drumming gloves ever. They feel super tight like a other layer of skin.

When I tried the "Drumming" Gloves, they DID interfere with my Technique.

These Bionic gloves (wait for it...) I believe IMPROVE my Technique.

My grip it better. I can do doubles faster and cleaner, and I can play traditional grip and smash my snare drum without killing my left hand.

There is a reason why Stewart Copland and Carter Beauford use gloves!

I highly recommend these Bionic Men's Performance Grip Gloves.

cobamnator

Maybe thats why "Drum" Gloves are not very Popular. People try them and think "I play way better without these things on, why do I need them?".

I think if you give golf gloves a shot, you will see they do help. Nothing like a good ol' Fashioned pair of quality golf gloves if you ask me.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I used to wear Beato gloves sometimes, when the weather was really cold. Usually took them off by the 2nd or 3rd song ... then I switched to using the Zildjian dipsticks for warm up ... easier/faster to grab a new set of sticks than take off a pair of gloves.​

Mr.L

If you don't just use em' to look cool, then yeah. Use them.

Can't even tell how bad it annoys me to see teenager with double pedals, gloves, sideways hat, and ridiculous tom angles, playing deathlybloodygrindcorish-metal just trying to look as cool as possible.

cobamnator

If you don't just use em' to look cool, then yeah. Use them.

Can't even tell how bad it annoys me to see teenager with double pedals, gloves, sideways hat, and ridiculous tom angles, playing deathlybloodygrindcorish-metal just trying to look as cool as possible.
I hear ya brotha!

One of my pet peeves is when guys are decked out in headbands / wristbands and playing like a sissy not even breaking a sweat.

If I wear wristbands I'm pretty much anouncing "Get ready to have your ears blown. These sweat bands are gonna be drenched in two minutes".

Witterings

Silver Member
in my case, i don't think i'm doing anything wrong. i have a very loose grip and loose style. i never get blisters, only weird splits in my skin, usually on my right pinky finger. i think it's because i practice for long periods on my electronic kit which has hard rubber pads. i believe the shock of the stick hitting the pads causes it to vibrate violently and split open my skin. i don't really know, but that's my theory.
Totally with you on this, there's no "give" in my pads.

I use gloves but only when I get a split / blister and if it gets really bad that you can't play with gloves I found some extra long plasters, the normal ones just used to come off, these though wrap around the finger a couple of times and stay in place.