Going under the knife

StickIt

Here's to a quick recovery!

I like to listen to tunes and try to really visualize myself playing the drum track...it's good for boredom, anyway :)

Souljacker

Silver Member
Good luck in your recovery Jeff. I had veins removed (lasered) from my leg late last year. Thankfully I recovered and was back playing quickly.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Thanks for all the well wishes! The doctor told me that it went very well.

Having a nerve block is the strangest feeling. I literally could not feel my left arm. It felt like someone else's arm. Not to sound corny here, but losing the ability to control my arm for a few hours gave me a sliver of insight as to what it might be like to have that level of disability permanently. Daunting, to say the least.

Regarding non-surgical alternatives, I tried them all for years before I finally went to the orthopedic surgeon. I tried:

Myofascial release
Active Release Technique (ART)
deep tissue massage
trigger point therapy
trigger point acupuncture
stretching
R-Phase movement training

The last trigger point therapist I went to was excellent. When I told him of the compartment syndrome diagnosis, he told me that made sense and to get the surgery. It is in the nature of compartment syndrome that it resists release.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
The doctor told me that it went very well.

Having a nerve block is the strangest feeling.
That's great to hear Jeff :) Just a few weeks of mild discomfort & stiffness, & you'll be hammering those left hand triplets like they're nothing!

So you went the local anaesthetic route. Good choice if it's available :)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Here's hoping for a speedy and painless as possible recovery.I guess working on your feet is a great idea.It's something that's often neglected.

Feel better soon.Cheers

Steve B

BillBachman

Gold Member
I'm glad to ear that it went well! You really should've had that happen to the right so we could spend extra time on that left hand though. :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Glad it went well, Jeff. Google tells me that compartment syndrome can get potentially be very serious.
Indeed it can be very serious. My son broke both tibia & fibula nearly 4 months ago. nasty radial fractures, & of course, a totally unstable limb. We fought to go the non "pin & plate" route. Compartment syndrome was a real possibility with swelling pressure issues due to the nature of his cast requirements during the first 5 days or so. Because of that risk, he was hospitalised for that period, with pressure monitors attached to him. He's still wearing a cast now, & will be for another month yet, although he's clear now in terms of risks. 5 months in a cast = a pretty nasty break :(

Feeling better than last week Jeff?

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Things appear to be moving right along. The pain isn't too bad and the fingers can all move well. Obviously, I'm still in a cast but I really couldn't ask for a smoother recovery so far.

I get to test a hypothesis: Does practicing one side exclusively have any spill-over effect on the other side? I'm sure some exercise physiologist has already done this experiment but I may as well do it.

I have already spent 5 days, more than an hour a day on right hand technique. We will see...

Thank you everyone for the well-wishes.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Things appear to be moving right along. The pain isn't too bad and the fingers can all move well. Obviously, I'm still in a cast but I really couldn't ask for a smoother recovery so far.

I get to test a hypothesis: Does practicing one side exclusively have any spill-over effect on the other side? I'm sure some exercise physiologist has already done this experiment but I may as well do it.

I have already spent 5 days, more than an hour a day on right hand technique. We will see...

Thank you everyone for the well-wishes.
Glad to hear your recovery is going well, Jeff. It'll be interesting to find out the results of your experiment, too.