Going maple on my next...

Smoke

Silver Member
I dunno, man. My problem seems to be that whatever kit I get, whatever woods, whatever heads, is that I always end up sounding like how I always sound.
Saw an interview with Les Paul - he said pretty much the same thing. He would pick up any junker guitar, plug it into an amp, tweak a few of the knobby things and it would sound just like a Les Paul.

Nothing wrong with sounding like "You!"

v.zarate

Gold Member
I dunno, man. My problem seems to be that whatever kit I get, whatever woods, whatever heads, is that I always end up sounding like how I always sound. Maybe I have this built-in tuning ability for a certain sound and I don't know how to tune any differently to get a different sound. But I've had acrylic, maple, birch, bubinga, oak,...etc.,...every recording I make sounds the same. I guess this isn't a bad problem to have, it even makes choosing a kit easy - I just get something I like and roll with it 'til my eye catches on to something else.
Same. Moreover, when I hop on a random kit at a jam, it's usually the same result. I say usually, because if the heads are all dented in, taped up, really poorly tuned, or any combination of the above, then results may vary.

But on any decently tuned set, I pretty much sound like me.
i may too but i dont know truely since the maple kits ive played on were not tuned by me and some were not tuned right. i also did not feel right messing around with someone else kit without permission or worse tuning it in front of them making them think they suck at it.

v.zarate

Gold Member
Re-rings or reinforcement rings were installed to help support the drum shell and maintain its roundness. In general the older vintage kits were made out of softer woods (mahogany) and had thin shells and benefitted from re-rings. As drum shell manufacturing progressed shells were made stronger and thicker and the need for re-rings went away.

Usually vintage drum shells with re-rings had rounded over bearing edges. Rounded bearing edges provide more contact between the drum head and the wood drum shell. I guess you could say it creates a “fatter sound”. The sound includes more tone produced by the wood shell. And less sustain.
The sharper edge produces a longer sustain and is more dependent on the drum head for its tone. Someone else on this forum might be able to add more information on this.

Ludwig makes a new drum set with full rounded over bearing edges. It produces a more vintage sound. It is called the Club Date kit. If I were you I would get a maple drum kit with different bearing edges than what you have on your DWs. The point I was making earlier was: if you get another drum kit made out of maple and it has the same shell thickness and the same bearing edges (and same drum heads) as your current DW birch kit; I think the maple kit will sound very similar to your DW kit. At least that has been my experience with birch and maple.

very useful information! thank you. ill try to find a maple kit around here with a round bearing edge on it to test spin.

i have noticed older DW maple kits do have the rings in them. ?keller shell kits?

this DW kit is only half birch and the other half is bamboo. it also has a sharp 45 degree bearing edge. very thin shells but strong. bamboo is no joke.

calan

Silver Member
I dunno, man. My problem seems to be that whatever kit I get, whatever woods, whatever heads, is that I always end up sounding like how I always sound. Maybe I have this built-in tuning ability for a certain sound and I don't know how to tune any differently to get a different sound. But I've had acrylic, maple, birch, bubinga, oak,...etc.,...every recording I make sounds the same. I guess this isn't a bad problem to have, it even makes choosing a kit easy - I just get something I like and roll with it 'til my eye catches on to something else.
Same. Moreover, when I hop on a random kit at a jam, it's usually the same result. I say usually, because if the heads are all dented in, taped up, really poorly tuned, or any combination of the above, then results may vary.

But on any decently tuned set, I pretty much sound like me.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
interior bearing rings or ?Re-rings? what do they do?
45 degree vs. round bearing edge... i assume i will get a fatter sound?

Re-rings or reinforcement rings were installed to help support the drum shell and maintain its roundness. In general the older vintage kits were made out of softer woods (mahogany) and had thin shells and benefitted from re-rings. As drum shell manufacturing progressed shells were made stronger and thicker and the need for re-rings went away.

Usually vintage drum shells with re-rings had rounded over bearing edges. Rounded bearing edges provide more contact between the drum head and the wood drum shell. I guess you could say it creates a “fatter sound”. The sound includes more tone produced by the wood shell. And less sustain.
The sharper edge produces a longer sustain and is more dependent on the drum head for its tone. Someone else on this forum might be able to add more information on this.

Ludwig makes a new drum set with full rounded over bearing edges. It produces a more vintage sound. It is called the Club Date kit. If I were you I would get a maple drum kit with different bearing edges than what you have on your DWs. The point I was making earlier was: if you get another drum kit made out of maple and it has the same shell thickness and the same bearing edges (and same drum heads) as your current DW birch kit; I think the maple kit will sound very similar to your DW kit. At least that has been my experience with birch and maple.

M

Matt Bo Eder

v.zarate

Gold Member
Nice set of DWs.

We can still salvage this thread. How about if I try and convince you that you won't find too many Maple kits that will sound better than your current DW kit.

I was at a music store the other day and I played on a Gretsch Catalina maple kit. It sounded really nice! I noticed that the bearing edges were partially rounded over.
I'm betting that was why I liked the sound. I currently play a Yamaha Stage Custom birch kit with sharp 45 degree bearing edges.
I'll bet if I rounded over my Yamaha bearing edges, I'd like the sound better.

thanks! im not really looking for a maple kit that sounds better/worse than this one. this one sounds good to my ears. im looking for a maple kit because i want something that sounds a bit different and good at the same time. i know that tuning is a big factor and i can tune ok myself if i take some time with them. also like i said before, best of both worlds.

i will admit now, i dont have a vast knowledge on drum building and i do have a few questions....

interior bearing rings or ?Re-rings? what do they do?
45 degree vs. round bearing edge... i assume i will get a fatter sound?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
i guess i was expecting to get asked what i was looking at but my poor use/chose of words turned this thread in to a pointless "junker of a thread".
Nice set of DWs.

We can still salvage this thread. How about if I try and convince you that you won't find too many Maple kits that will sound better than your current DW kit.

I was at a music store the other day and I played on a Gretsch Catalina maple kit. It sounded really nice! I noticed that the bearing edges were partially rounded over.
I'm betting that was why I liked the sound. I currently play a Yamaha Stage Custom birch kit with sharp 45 degree bearing edges.
I'll bet if I rounded over my Yamaha bearing edges, I'd like the sound better.

v.zarate

Gold Member
nice drums man. classy look, but what is the point of the OP.
thanks bud! just letting the forum know i was finally gonna start looking for a maple kit. i believe i have mentioned it in the past. i guess i was expecting to get asked what i was looking at but my poor use/chose of words turned this thread in to a pointless "junker of a thread". no worries. im not type of person to get mad.

v.zarate

Gold Member
the responses are good guys LMAO!

it isn't much that ive "stayed away" from maple, it more that my ears are more use to the sound of birch. the reason might be that i have always owned/played on birch drums. money was always an issue and birch was cheaper than maple. nowadays i have a decent job and im able to afford another kit. i wanna get a maple kit and have the best of both worlds. "staying away" might of been the wrong use of words

also, if i came off as dissing or offending maple, im sorry about that. maple syrup is great on pancakes and waffles btw

Last edited:

JustJames

Platinum Member
Slightly disappointed that the OP isn't going for maple cymbals.

I was really hoping that cymbals would be the first word after the suspense of the thread title.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
OK I'll bite. Why did you feel the need to stay away from maple?
Yeah, I was thinking about asking the OP what he has been playing on up until now. I expected to find out it was birch.
And then we could get into the discussion of how birch and maple are very close to each other sonically.

But I'll forgo all that and let Larry ask the first question.