Going back to where you started.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Sort of. After a 30 year hiatus I started playing again. Went to several auditions and finally got in a band and have been enjoying playing gigs again. Numerous times the people I audition for note that I play a bit like Buddy Rich. No not meaning that good but in style. I play traditional so that is what I attributed their comments to. But recently I read a biography of the drum teacher I had the longest and he went to CA and learned from Joe Morello. When I play by myself and just jam to various songs, I think my style comes from the teachings of Joe Morello once removed. Even though I don't play jazz that influence is recognized by others even if they don't know exactly what they are seeing.

Thaard

Platinum Member
Recently, I've started noticing that my playing in general goes back to a more rock'ish feel, which I had when I started playing. Back when Paice, Ward and Bonham were my greatest influences.
Even if I've played a lot more jazz, fusion and funk throughout my years, I always go back to this rock/prog feel if I just close my eyes and playl. It also comes through in most of my recordings.

Anyone else these kinds of epiphany's?