Goin' to 'Nawlins!

Doug Masters

Silver Member
Bourbon St. Blues Club for live music and if you like Oysters go to Acme Oytser house behind the crown plaza thats on the corner of Bourbon and Canal st.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
New Orleans is my past home and my favorite city in the US. The food is the best of any place I have ever visited anywhere in the world. The Quarter is definitely a place you must visit but it is not the best place to find good music or the best food. Stroll up Bourbon and Royal and check out the sites and cut across to the river and Jackson square to the French Market and Cafe Du Monde to get a sense of the history and the culture. There is a great cheap place to eat called Maspero's right by Jackson Square which serves great Po' Boys and the Muffaletta is great. There are a number of fine dining establishments in the area if you have a good expense account! Commander's Palace, NOLA's, Brennan's and Paul Prudhomme's restaurant on Royal are great but my favorite place in the Quarter is called Bayona. Check it out: http://www.bayona.com/

For music there are a number of great places uptown around Tulane, mostly on the streets named after trees: clubs like Jimmys, Muddy Waters, the Oak Leaf (if they are still there) always had great music. Also look for Cafe Brazil, Snug Harbor and others. Check out the New Orleans activities paper or ask at your hotel for the type of music you like. A trip to Tipitina's is always worthwhile.

One word of warning, however, you only have to go a few blocks of the beaten path to be in some fairly unsafe areas. Take cabs and be careful.

Enjoy the city - it is the most unique and wonderful place in the US.

Paul
Excellent, Paul! Thanks so much! I printed this out and am going to stuff it in my bag.

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
New Orleans is my past home and my favorite city in the US. The food is the best of any place I have ever visited anywhere in the world. The Quarter is definitely a place you must visit but it is not the best place to find good music or the best food. Stroll up Bourbon and Royal and check out the sites and cut across to the river and Jackson square to the French Market and Cafe Du Monde to get a sense of the history and the culture. There is a great cheap place to eat called Maspero's right by Jackson Square which serves great Po' Boys and the Muffaletta is great. There are a number of fine dining establishments in the area if you have a good expense account! Commander's Palace, NOLA's, Brennan's and Paul Prudhomme's restaurant on Royal are great but my favorite place in the Quarter is called Bayona. Check it out: http://www.bayona.com/

For music there are a number of great places uptown around Tulane, mostly on the streets named after trees: clubs like Jimmys, Muddy Waters, the Oak Leaf (if they are still there) always had great music. Also look for Cafe Brazil, Snug Harbor and others. Check out the New Orleans activities paper or ask at your hotel for the type of music you like. A trip to Tipitina's is always worthwhile.

One word of warning, however, you only have to go a few blocks of the beaten path to be in some fairly unsafe areas. Take cabs and be careful.

Enjoy the city - it is the most unique and wonderful place in the US.

Paul

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Find "The Gumbo Shop" and eat there.

Awesome food.

For music: Music seems to be everywhere in New Orleans. Just walk down the street in the French quarter, and you'll bound to hear something that will catch your ear.
Thanks for the tip!

I figured as much - music should be wafting from literally every doorway, down there.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'm just thinking food, Vin! Have fun, I hope she's recovered.

PS- I'd love to visit so do a review when you return.

Oh for sure...will be partaking in the local fare, in excess. I hear that parts of it are still in pretty sad shape and may never really recover. So sad.

I'll have a ton of pics and will throw together a little review when I get back. ;)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Find "The Gumbo Shop" and eat there.

Awesome food.

For music: Music seems to be everywhere in New Orleans. Just walk down the street in the French quarter, and you'll bound to hear something that will catch your ear.

aydee

Platinum Member
I'm just thinking food, Vin! Have fun, I hope she's recovered.

PS- I'd love to visit so do a review when you return.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
My company is sending a co-worker and I down to New Orleans for a technology conference in two weeks. I've never been there before, so I'm looking for recommendations! Where is the best music? Point me where to go!

I'd like to get a drum lesson or two in while I'm there, also. Who should I look up?

Thanks!