Girl Drummers-This one is adorable

jim_gregory

OK OK I shouldnt have said adorable. I'm old. I have to talk like that dammit.
But she's very good. Very young and very much on the right track. And very fun to watch. I think she's cool as hell.
Maybe it's old news. What do I know. I dont live around here.

Ethan01

She's damn cute and there's nothing wrong with that.

I liked her "Pokerface" cover, she plays it kinda like I do when I practice =P

Therma lobsterdore

She's good for sure, but she needs to get some dynamics and groove in her playing, it's all too straight and loud all the time if you ask me.

nocTurnal

She's good for sure, but she needs to get some dynamics and groove in her playing, it's all too straight and loud all the time if you ask me.
Good point. I wasn't looking for that. I understand as jim_gregory pointed out that she is only 17, but your point is still valid. She may have been playing ten years already, how do we know all know. That's a long time to be playing "straight" without dynamics. Who knows... In any case, that's a good critique and helps those of us without a good ear (Intermediates) to understand what is "missing."

mrchattr

Gold Member
She's a'ight, but her playing isn't threadworthy by itself. This is basically a thread showing an underage chick as attractive. Awkward to the extreme.

jim_gregory

In retrospect I agree. There were a couple of video's that I didnt sit through. (After starting this thread) My assumption is that she will mature into something. Perhaps not, but she is clearly working at it. As so many are.
As a guy who didnt pick up the sticks till he was 53, I am kind of facinated by all these kids with the great hands and skills. My busted up old carpenter hands will never be able to do much but I'm having fun putting a kit together and gigging with my buddies. Life is very good.

Therma lobsterdore

I guarantee that she will be great someday, there's alot of skill and talent there. I'd imagine that she's a victim of her own musical taste, which doesnt seem to feature many bands that use groove and dynamics. But yeah I agree Jim, I'm very envious of people that are already awesome drummers before the age that I even started playing!

joeysnare

Silver Member
it looks like shes having fun though, i remember back when i started drumming ,smashing the hell out of my kit cause i was having such a good time playing. i miss that, but i dont miss paying for skins and broken cymbals lol.

BGH

Gold Member
No doubt this girl can play. Her 'cuteness' has no bearing on that, but ok its been noted. Its threadworthy only in that its being viewed and commented on here, so it must be worthy.

She's definitely a product of the musical 'genre,' but who are we to judge that? Her tastes and style will probably change as she gets older. I agree she is overplaying and needs more space, feel and dynamics but:

-She has chops
-She has energy
-She gets around the kit very well
-Her drums look and sound good-better than many I've heard on You Tube (they sound fatter on the Paramore cut)

I say - good job and keep it up!

Bruce

Ekim

Silver Member
Yeah, I was poking around drum videos online and hers sound better than folks trying to make snare reviews.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Girl power! And doesn't this girl have power! She's about 10x better than I was at that age. It might be a matter of "watch this space".

jim_gregory

Girl power! And doesn't this girl have power! She's about 10x better than I was at that age. It might be a matter of "watch this space".
Was wondering when you would show up!

Ya she's got power alright. All 80 pounds of her. Little brat!

Brat: A term used widely in the 70's USA to describe an unruly child, masking the real definition of old people being pissed that they can not run and jump and play anymore.

Neil

I enjoyed it, her bio says she's been playing for 9yrs and had lessons for 5.
I disagree on the dynamics though or rather I would argue that it's hard to make a judgement of her dynamics based on videos on the selection she has posted on youtube. She's clearly just going for it..

shrink

she's a darn site better than i was at that age... and likely better than i am now (albeit lacking in subtelty)

The only thing that sticks out to me when watching her play.. is her rack tom is too hight and too flat for her.. she keeps having to noticeably lift her elbow and shoulder up to reach it. Seems that could do with being tweaked.

Wicked setup though, and some great speed in her playing.

I disagree with the opinion that its not threadworthy... i'd say for a 17 year old, its a sign of huge potential.

S

sufc.loyal

Was watching a nice girl drummer the other night, ggrrhhh, a bit older mind you.

For a young lass, she shows lots of energy, behind her kit.

She is enjoying what she is doing, good or bad.