Gigs - like buses

Magenta

Platinum Member
You wait ages for one, and then several come along at once.

This morning I received a message saying we were wanted to play at a burlesque festival, which sounds like enormous fun, and Mr Madge has generously offered to be our roadie. (I am going to cram myself into that gold sequin frock if it's the last thing I do.)

This afternoon I popped into our guitarist's shop to say hello, and found him talking to some guy who books a lot of bands to play at numerous local venues. We found it rather difficult to describe our genre, so we showed him some video clips. His reaction was along the lines of "Good heavens!", and straight away he booked us for September and wants us for further gigs at his other venues, details to be arranged.

The burlesque gig is for real, actual money and the September one is to be paid in gin. Not touching a drop till after I've finished, but by 'eck, after that I shall get my drumming's worth.

Chuffed to bits, I am!

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Very nice indeed!

I thought when you said like buses, that they would be full of people you didn't want to spend too much time around with a surly guy refusing entry with spurious justification...

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I though you meant that you gotta watch out for them or they will run you over.

Congrats on the gigs. I know they can be hard to come by.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Congrats on the gigs. I know they can be hard to come by.
They bloody are if you're us!

That's awesome M! Definitely need to see some pics of you poured into a frock ;)
There are a couple knocking about on here somewhere. Get your deerstalker on and find them! There's a magenta one, and an Oriental sort of thing, but the gold one hasn't made its deboo yet. I rather like it, it has a sort of Mo effect ;)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Way to go Madge! Your guy Glenn....what a great guy. Tell him I said hello will you? Knock em dead!

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Chuffed to bits, I am!
I'm proud of myself for knowing what that means. Congrats Madge! Burlesque gigs are fun. My friend is planning an event and has asked me to handle the music for it. We're going old school with the band providing live music for the performers. Always a good time.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Way to go Madge! Your guy Glenn....what a great guy. Tell him I said hello will you? Knock em dead!
With pleasure, Larry. He is indeed a wonderful man, but I can't imagine for a moment what inspired him to make his generous offer for the burlesque gig.

Including Madge cramming herself into that frock? ;)
Think Miss Piggy with brown hair.

Does the booker realize how much gin that could cost him? heh
It would be cheaper to pay in money, but I'm saying nothing and intend to consume my own body weight and that of our guitarist in gin.

I'm proud of myself for knowing what that means. Congrats Madge! Burlesque gigs are fun. My friend is planning an event and has asked me to handle the music for it. We're going old school with the band providing live music for the performers. Always a good time.
Hey, I'm proud of you too! Yes I really am looking forward to it, it should be a blast. I hope you enjoy yours.

I'm also dead chuffed because the booking has come about as a result of that first gig we did in May: the organiser of the burlesque was there, liked what we did, and thought we'd work well with the event :)

STXBob

Gold Member
With apologies to both Madge and Hogarth:

Madge and guitarist on steps.

Seriously, I'm glad to hear you're getting gigs, and I'm sure you'll kick buttock.

Magenta

Platinum Member
I'm not sure if you're Welsh by birth but that is the most English thing that I have ever read...
Haga, no, I'm not Welsh and I'm only half English. I just rock it like the classy bird I am ;)

The guitarist's weight is the deal breaker ;) Taking a "doggy vat"?
MIAOW! No, just an intravenous drip.

Seriously, I'm glad to hear you're getting gigs, and I'm sure you'll kick buttock.
Thank you - and where did you find that likeness of me?!

So am I for you Madge, enjoy... and drink lots of gin... make sure Mr Madge drives though... err, wait a minute, that mean Mr Madge cannot drink.... well, he did volunteer, didn't he :)
Thanks my dear, I jolly well will! Any chance of you enjoying the burlesque in January?

uhtrinity

That's how it has been for us for the last year, dead silence then 3 - 5 bookings all at once. It has allowed us to stay booked about 1 - 2 months in advance. Next goal, be one of the bands that is booked a year in advance :)

Magenta

Platinum Member
That's how it has been for us for the last year, dead silence then 3 - 5 bookings all at once. It has allowed us to stay booked about 1 - 2 months in advance. Next goal, be one of the bands that is booked a year in advance :)
A year in advance? Crikey, I daren't look so far ahead!

Things always happen in clusters though, don't they - like buses.