Getting the right sound 12x5 snare

Late Spring Donkey

Hey guys, I've been playing drums for about 18 months now and ive recently purchased a mapex saturn kit. While I was at it I picked up the Chris Adler signature snare. If you're unfamiliar with it, its a 12x5.5 walnut snare. I play metal, and i was hoping somebody could help me on developing the right sound. I'm not the best tuner of drums by any means, but i do manage tuning to an extent. I understand the different ways to change the sound of a snare, but i cant seem to get the right feel. I'm looking for more of a wood sounding thump/crack. Obviously i have this thing cranked pretty high and although it has a great and loud sound, it decays VERY fast and almost gets a metallic sound to it. Im not sure if this is my doing, or even if anything can be done due to the snare structure. Ive also tried getting the sound out of the standard 14 saturn snare, but the adler BP blows it out of the water in all departments, with the exception of real estate and striking area. I was hoping if somebody could explain a tuning method to give it more thump without giving me too much buzz or flatness. Thanks, sorry for the long post.

drumhammerer

Silver Member
12" snares can get flat pretty quickly when you crank them up. I've got a 12X6.5 keller maple snare and I recently put an emperor X on it, and now it has a fat, punchy sound along with the tighter sound of the smaller diameter- even when cranked way up. Not as much crack as the Hi-Energy, but it's a different sound for sure, and still plenty loud. I imagine with the walnut in the Adler snare, you ought to get an even punchier sound with this head.

Chonson

I checked a couple of the tracks from Wrath on iTunes...

IF he's using his signature snare, it's not tuned too high for a 12". That said, in the studio, he may be using something else.

Some of the "thunk" you're hearing is from a compressor on the snare which will bring the body of the drum up more.

Listening to "Fake Messiah" there's a point where you definitely hear some of the pingier tones of the drum that give it a metallic sound. That may either be the result of some EQ work (as it fades out pretty quick) or some plug automation.

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
I checked a couple of the tracks from Wrath on iTunes...

IF he's using his signature snare, it's not tuned too high for a 12". That said, in the studio, he may be using something else.

Some of the "thunk" you're hearing is from a compressor on the snare which will bring the body of the drum up more.

Listening to "Fake Messiah" there's a point where you definitely hear some of the pingier tones of the drum that give it a metallic sound. That may either be the result of some EQ work (as it fades out pretty quick) or some plug automation.
The story that Mapex are eager to tell everyone is that years ago Chris Adler was looking for a snare and found a 12x5.5 black Panther snare and has used it ever since on all his recordings. Thats why they gave him the signature model. So IF this is true, it should of always been a Mapex 12x5.5 on all his records, meaning that any differences in snare sound will be from either heads/tuning or post production.

There's nothing to say that he might of whipped out a random snare for the odd song and Mapex 'forgot' to mention this.