Getting more "ring"

kzdruma

I have been way of those guys that chocks all of the sound out of drums with dampening, muffling, etc. for a long time.

I am now interested in getting more resonance out my a set and was wondering where to start.

How do you tune your drums to get the most ring out of them.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Brian

Last edited:

topgun2021

Gold Member
I am not interested in getting more resonance out my a set and was wondering where to start.

How do you tune your drums to get the most ring out of them.
Don't use muffling at all.

If you are REALLY after a ring, you can tune the batter and reso heads differently or tune the batter head so that it's vibrating frequency does not match the shells frequency.

wsabol

Gold Member
Yea, There is a slight distinction between ring and sustain. Getting more ring would be getting more high-ptiched, dissonant overtones, and to that I say forget how to tune, or get huge steel drums.

Getting more sustain is a different story. Tune you batter and reso heads to the same pitch, use thick one ply heads with no muffling and no coating... other than that you could get your bearing edges recut, or get new drums with sharper bearing edges and thinner shells.

tard

Gold Member
There are 2 types of ring, one is the warm resonance that we want and the other is odd harmonic overtones we hate. To get the most resonance with the least amount of overtones the drums should be tuned to their sweet spot and both heads tuned exactly the same.
Tuning both heads exactly the same can be very difficult so tuning the reso head a bit higher can be much easier and give about the same resonance and can actually have less overtones than than having the heads almost the same but not quite exact.
Moon jell and o rings as well as pre muffled heads with dampening on the outside edge can also remove some unwanted overtones without reducing the warm resonance too much. I personally use the Aquarian studio x which is a single ply head that is basically a classic clear with a small strip of power dot material around the outside on the underside of the head which helps remove some of the overtones. I sometimes also use a moon jell on the larger 16 & 18 toms as they tend to ring a little more than the smaller ones.
As for tuning I have found that the sweet spot on my maple shell toms is about 1 full turn from finger tight and when I fine tune I tune the batter head to the lug with the lowest pitch and tune the reso to the lug with the highest pitch making the reso a bit higher pitch than the batter which is I find is much easier that trying to tune them exactly the same. I tune all my toms this way and let the difference in size give them the step in tone between each tom.