Getting Comfortable with a Kit.

tkav1980

So I got my kit back yesterday, Its a mid 80's pearl knockoff kit with just massively deep tom's. (hahaha dont knock it they sound great) Anyway, I'm just curious as to how some of you have them set up(a similar kit). I like to sit at a medium height and these tom's are so deep that if theyre barely off the base drum theyre a good 5-6 inches above my snare. Now dont get me wrong, I'm going to spend quite a bit of time playing around with things getting comfy, especially since I now officially suck after a 7 year lay off from playing, but I am open to suggestions. I'll post a picture of the kit later so you can see what I'm talking about once I find the USB card for my phone.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

belairien

Silver Member
You can either play them as is and get used to them, or change the angle of them, raise them higher, then adjust the tom arm so that they are at a sharper angle.
I tried both with a set that I'm borrowing, with 12x10 and 13x11 rack toms.
I can barely handle a 9 inch depth, but using only the 12, I managed to get comfortable with it the first way at 6 inches above my snare.

Just experiment until you find a comfortable way. :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Had to sit in on a casual with a set like that once upon a time. I simply took away one of the toms, put the one remaining on an extra snare stand and dropped it down where I liked it. It did push out a little further to my right (I'm left-handed) but I could deal with that better than if I had to reach up to hit it. Me and power toms are not good bedfellows.

belairien

Silver Member
Had to sit in on a casual with a set like that once upon a time. I simply took away one of the toms, put the one remaining on an extra snare stand and dropped it down where I liked it. It did push out a little further to my right (I'm left-handed) but I could deal with that better than if I had to reach up to hit it. Me and power toms are not good bedfellows.
Same fore me. I prefer rack toms no larger than a 12x9. I can get comfortable if its either to the right of a smaller tom, or slightly off to my left, about half an inch of its batter side rim above my snare. (right handed xD)

With power toms, its just a matter of patients.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
theyre barely off the base drum theyre a good 5-6 inches above my snare.
5-6 inches between the top of your snare and the top of your toms is only a short distance. The top of my toms are at least 12 inches above my snare batter head, & I have my snare sloped slightly away from me too. I run a 20" bass drum, so could easily lower my toms, but I like a bit of separation. I don't like relying on things being close to each other in order to play certain patterns or riffs, as it reduces choices.

belairien

Silver Member
5-6 inches between the top of your snare and the top of your toms is only a short distance. The top of my toms are at least 12 inches above my snare batter head, & I have my snare sloped slightly away from me too. I run a 20" bass drum, so could easily lower my toms, but I like a bit of separation. I don't like relying on things being close to each other in order to play certain patterns or riffs, as it reduces choices.
That is a good way to do it :)

I am limited on choices anyways playing a 4 piece, but I would be less enthusiastic about using a tom who's top is a foot above my snare.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Isn't that a tiny kick though?
Only if you consider 24x18 tiny ...​
Tour Kit
Premier Elite Drums with custom finish:[23]
6" x 6" Maple Tom
8" x 8" Maple Tom
10" x 10" Maple Tom
12" x 12" Maple Tom
13" x 13" Maple Tom
14" x 14" Maple Tom
15" x 15" Maple Tom
16" x 16" Maple Tom
18' x 16" Maple Floor Tom
24" x 18" Gen-X Bass Drum
14" x 5.5" Maple Snare Drum

belairien

Silver Member
Only if you consider 24x18 tiny ...​
Tour Kit
Premier Elite Drums with custom finish:[23]
6" x 6" Maple Tom
8" x 8" Maple Tom
10" x 10" Maple Tom
12" x 12" Maple Tom
13" x 13" Maple Tom
14" x 14" Maple Tom
15" x 15" Maple Tom
16" x 16" Maple Tom
18' x 16" Maple Floor Tom
24" x 18" Gen-X Bass Drum
14" x 5.5" Maple Snare Drum
Wow!
Those toms make it look smaller.
That is quite the illusion...

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I'm perfectly happy with the 5" depth of my RT toms - easily pleased, I guess :)

Andy, interested in your comment about separation between snare and toms. I like the bottom edge of my first mounted tom to be very close to the edge of my snare, but you said:

I don't like relying on things being close to each other in order to play certain patterns or riffs, as it reduces choices.
To me, keeping things close puts them in easier reach. How do you mean "reduces choices"?

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Do you know those kits with the big toms were sold with a set of spandex pants and a bottle of hairspray included?

I kid! I kid!
I play entirely on square sized toms. Most drums throughout history have been square or deeper. This newer trend among Western trap sets to have shallow, weaker-sounding drums is nothing when put in historical context.

burn-4

I play entirely on square sized toms. Most drums throughout history have been square or deeper. This newer trend among Western trap sets to have shallow, weaker-sounding drums is nothing when put in historical context.
I wouldn't say they are weaker- they are certainly more "punchy" with less sustain but that's the sound some people want- obviously it's common with the majority of pop drummers at the moment
It depends how shallow we are talking- I personally class 10x7 as "shallow" but obviously that will sound fuller than something like a 12x5.5 hyperdrive style tom

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
The top of my toms are at least 12 inches above my snare batter head, & I have my snare sloped slightly away from me too...
I don't like relying on things being close to each other in order to play certain patterns or riffs, as it reduces choices.
I'm perfectly happy with the 5" depth of my RT toms - easily pleased, I guess :)
My rack is about 6-7 inches above my snare batter head with a little angle, also it's the same height as my 2 hi-hats and ride, the snare and floor toms are almost flat and set at the same height.

I've noticed that if I set the height of the toms/floor toms too low, it reduce the perception of an "open sound" and it does "mute" the drums a bit somehow, probably due to the drum rug "absorbing" the overtones produced by the drums. Do you have the same "problem" when you set up your kit or you're trying a new config with your kit?

Andy, interested in your comment about separation between snare and toms. I like the bottom edge of my first mounted tom to be very close to the edge of my snare, but you said: "I don't like relying on things being close to each other in order to play certain patterns or riffs, as it reduces choices". How do you mean "reduces choices"?
+1 on this one Andy, I would be interested if you could expand a little on this subject. :)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I've noticed that if I set the height of the toms/floor toms too low, it reduce the perception of an "open sound" and it does "mute" the drums a bit somehow, probably due to the drum rug "absorbing" the overtones produced by the drums. Do you have the same "problem" when you set up your kit or you're trying a new config with your kit?
Never gave it a thought, Henri. My 12"x5" mounted tom could do with some controlling anyway - it rings for a long time.