George Way - It's happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I haven't been following the thread closely but with the lack of responses to inquiries I assumed it was a no go. Great that you will soon receive a "stunning" GW drum kit-congrats. Patience is a virtue-of course pics and audio are expected :)

Awesome news!! Do you feel the flu coming on? I think you might need a couple of sick days from work once it arrives!

I work from home. I can literally turn my stool around and play.

This is going to be the best month EVAR!

Last edited:
This has been a very entertaining thread to read through, and it's that much more satisfying knowing that you're getting your dream kit KamaK.

Out of curiosity why 13/14/16 on the toms instead of 13/16/18? Won't the 13 & 14 be very close in pitch?

Out of curiosity why 13/14/16 on the toms instead of 13/16/18? Won't the 13 & 14 be very close in pitch?

Think of this as a 13/16/24 kit, but with an extra 14" FT that can be placed on either side.

On the right, I find 16/18 uncomfortable to swing around. 14/16 is manageable. I tried 16/16 for a bit as well, and it still wan't working for me.

On the left of the snare, 18" is simply too deep and cumbersomely large.

Sonically, you end up with THIS. The 14" sits somewhere in between where you would want a second rack tom and a floor tom. All without the physical awkwardness of having two racks.

Last note is that 14" is the perfect size for my scotch service... and coincidentally, my iMac wireless keyboard.

I've never understood this mentality. A single drum can be tuned to all sorts of different pitches and tones. Start swapping heads and playing with your tuning ratios and you can have huge changes on one drum. As an example, I have (2) 12" toms on one kit that sound completely different. One has a coated G12/clear Genera Reso combination (tuned in the middle register), the other a coated G2/coated G1 reso (tuned in the lower register) and there is distinct tonal range differences between them. The second 12" tom sounds like a 14" tom and fits perfectly between my first 12" rack tom and my 16" floor tom.

Think of this as a 13/16/24 kit, but with an extra 14" FT that can be placed on either side.

On the right, I find 16/18 uncomfortable to swing around. 14/16 is manageable. I tried 16/16 for a bit as well, and it still wan't working for me.

Sonically, you end up with THIS. The 14" sits somewhere in between where you would want a second rack tom and a floor tom. All without the physical awkwardness of having two racks.

Last note is that 14" is the perfect size for my scotch service... and coincidentally, my iMac wireless keyboard.

Yes ! Excellent news !

No problem whatsoever with those intervals.

Anyway there is always time for add-ons, how long could it possibly take for that 18 floor tom delivery anyway ? In other words, don't let this thread die, pretty please.

Despite some of the less positive moments of this thankfully shared adventure, I just know you will be happy with this kit, and thank you so much for an inspiring lesson in patience and extra mellowness.

Now as said before, pictures or, well, you know...

That makes sense. It's amazing how that can seem odd to me at first, but a simple 1" difference can be totally normal (12/14/16). And hey, if it works for you it works! Again, stoked that your kit's on it's way!

I've never understood this mentality. A single drum can be tuned to all sorts of different pitches and tones. Start swapping heads and playing with your tuning ratios and you can have huge changes on one drum. As an example, I have (2) 12" toms on one kit that sound completely different. One has a coated G12/clear Genera Reso combination (tuned in the middle register), the other a coated G2/coated G1 reso (tuned in the lower register) and there is distinct tonal range differences between them. The second 12" tom sounds like a 14" tom and fits perfectly between my first 12" rack tom and my 16" floor tom.

Well, I think we tune our drums differently. :) I tune mine to project above all else, and in order to have them all be within a reasonable volume of each other, they need to be tuned to their size (meaning I can't get away with a 12 tuned to sound like a 14 or a 16). It's also partly a preference thing because I've always favoured there being roughly a 5th in between my rack and the floor tom, which I don't personally don't think I could do with only a 1" difference between my rack and floor. If I'm not mistaken you have a fairly large Tama kit, with more toms than I have both toms and cymbals so naturally I think we're gonna have a different approach when it comes to toms and tuning.

Anywho, enough hijacking for now, back to our regularly scheduled programming!

-Jonathan

Hey, 12, 13, 16 was the norm all through the 80's and 90's, right? No one questioned a 1" difference between toms back then. Worked great for me.

Short (standard) 13" and square sized 14 and 16 floors is on the contrary really great config, pretty logical. Easy to tune. It will certainly work better than the new standard 10 12 16.

18 on the far right can be difficult to get and often ends as a beer table.
Can't wait for the pictures ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back