Gene Krupa/Buddy Rich-Great Episode From Tiger Bill

john gerrard

Bruce, thanks for posting. The video was a little slow in some places but some great old videos and pictures. I must say that I was a bit dissappointed with Buddy's double bass playing. But you have to understand that it was something that he really didn't practice or put a lot of effort into. He really didn't have to because he could do just about anything he wanted to do with just his right foot.

I grew up on Buddy Rich and had the pleasure of seeing him live on a few different occasions. I've also had the pleasur to talk to him at different times. Buddy was like a box of chocolates-------- you never knew what or who you were getting. There were a couple of times when you couldn't have asked for a nicer person. The other times he was never rude to me but I could tell that he was busy and had other things on his mind, which is only to be expected. Take care. John

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Cool vid, thanks Bruce. Buddy Rich's double bass playing...at times sounded like shoes in a dryer. That could be the worst thing I've heard him play. It doesn't detract from him, just sayin.

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Bruce, thanks for posting. The video was a little slow in some places but some great old videos and pictures. I must say that I was a bit dissappointed with Buddy's double bass playing. But you have to understand that it was something that he really didn't practice or put a lot of effort into. He really didn't have to because he could do just about anything he wanted to do with just his right foot.

I grew up on Buddy Rich and had the pleasure of seeing him live on a few different occasions. I've also had the pleasur to talk to him at different times. Buddy was like a box of chocolates-------- you never knew what or who you were getting. There were a couple of times when you couldn't have asked for a nicer person. The other times he was never rude to me but I could tell that he was busy and had other things on his mind, which is only to be expected. Take care. John
Thanks for sharing. Do you remember the Lucy show he did, teaching her son how to play? Classic, I still remember his advice about playing hi-hats to him, basically he said don't pussyfoot around, really get them swinging and play them so you know they are there. I'm paraphrasing but it made sense for the swing music.