Gear fail - handled beautifully :)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I would certainly love playing it with Mr. Joseph and Ms. Charles.
Oh yes! BTW, Rob Harris from Jamiroquai on guitar here - no less :)

It was a blast to get up & play in this company, but also more than just a little intimidating. I stepped up on the kit directly after Nicolas Viccaro FFS!!!!

When you use 20", 21" and 24" cymbals, you don't have this issue.
Exactly. If there's enough size /mass, they won't tilt / bounce sufficiently to jump off.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Superb!

I often wonder how drummers deal with dropped stick(s), sneezing or just a damned itch that won't go away?

:D
I have a problem with my toes cramping up sometimes during a song.

Body fail, not gear. It's not easy holding the beat steady while my toes are cramping up.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I thought he was going to leave it on the snare. I picked that trick up from a Baltimore guy named Bryant Mills. Sounds like hand claps, great for a funk groove although that song is a bit more complicated. I love the fills that he's playing on this.

Actually, that song is one of my holy grail aspirations. I've played it a few times and played guitar on it with a number of great drummers. But only had one guy that nailed the hitch after the 3 like JR. It's really tough. The bass drum on the 3 is kind of on top and pushed but then there's this delay before the rest of the bar. Kind of a 16th rest added to the bar before and-4-and. Kind of stutters. Was a blast to play it with that guy. Although I would certainly love playing it with Mr. Joseph and Ms. Charles.

Dirtcity

My thoughts exactly! I just don't understand the logic in the current trend toward leaving wingnuts off cymbal stands. Can anybody shed some light on this?

(My guess is that there is no logic involved. Methinks that somebody saw a "pro" not using wingnuts and decided it must be the "pro" thing to do. Monkey see . . . . )

GeeDeeEmm
When you use 20", 21" and 24" cymbals, you don't have this issue.

Not to start anything up, but I think seeing someone do something differently, and attaching your own reasoning to it is short sighted.

I haven't used wing nuts in about 6 or 7 years. Takes slightly less time to set up, and I've never had any issue.

Love the way this dude handled it!

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Superb!

I often wonder how drummers deal with dropped stick(s), sneezing or just a damned itch that won't go away?

I try to time my sneeze with a crash or snare hit. Otherwise it can mess with the groove for sure, lol. Keep sticks handy on both sides. Sometimes an itch has to wait depending where it is...

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
A wing nut is only as good as the cymbal sleeve underneath it. If the wing nut has nothing to tighten down on to (like the shaft of a sleeve) then yeah, it can loosen up and fall off. I replace broken sleeves pronto so I don't have to deal with that. Another thing that's often an issue on backline kits but I digress.

He's a great player!

boomstick

Silver Member
Ha. Total pro. I think the key is relaxation. I actually practice this at home, like dropping a stick, relaxing, and reaching for another stick while concentrating on keeping a steady beat with one hand, or just fiddling around with some hardware adjustment while keeping a steady one-handed beat. In other words, I try to become accustomed to doing such things so I won't freak out when mishaps occur on stage. I'm not quite to this guy's level yet though.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Who uses wing nuts anymore?

Early 20th century drum technology.

Video is a perfect example of why wing nuts are lame, even the EFX crash has lost its wing nut in that vid, or so it would seem.

................................................................................................................

Attachments

J

Jazz Man

Ha Ha!! SMOOTH!!!!

Very well done......and real nice playing too!!!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Yes, second strike had a "well, what did you expect" aspect to it ;)

Nice recovery...and yet...there are still some that swear that wing nuts are totally unecessary.:)

Steve B
I think it's only an issue with smaller cymbals really. They easily go to more acute angles & have less mass so "bounce" readily. Bigger crashes & rides without nuts aren't an issue IMO. Any cymbal in the vertical (i.e. chinas), well, they need something, obviously.

As for recovery, pretty much perfect really. Wes is a superb drummer. I love his deep grooving style & easy touch. There's a lot of detail to his playing, yet he's as solid as a rock. A really humble man too :) He's doing a lot of work, & rightly so.

FreDrummer

Silver Member
My thoughts exactly! I just don't understand the logic in the current trend toward leaving wingnuts off cymbal stands. Can anybody shed some light on this?

(My guess is that there is no logic involved. Methinks that somebody saw a "pro" not using wingnuts and decided it must be the "pro" thing to do. Monkey see . . . . )

GeeDeeEmm
Yeah, I know what you mean...

My solution is to use the Vater Slick Nut quick release nuts. I remove the felt, then lock the Slick Nut onto the post so that the bottom of the Slick Nut sits 1/2" - 3/4" above the cymbal. This gives me the benefit of no felt on top the cymbal yet still secures the cymbal to prevent incidents such as in the video. (BTW, the way I strike my cymbals, I've never even seen one contact the "raised" Slick Nut)

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Nice recovery...and yet...there are still some that swear that wing nuts are totally unecessary.:)

Steve B

GeeDeeEmm

tamadrm

Platinum Member

Steve B

Arky

Platinum Member
Handled perfectly. I just didn't expect him to hit the splash a 2nd time once he set it up again but well, he did it ;-)

Magenta

Platinum Member
Now that's what I call classy!

Reminds me of the time Liam beat his PB at Angry Birds without dropping a beat.

Mart61

Silver Member
Superb!