Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Tom Sawyer

Your kit sounded (and looked) stunning, that finish is very funky. I think I noticed you now mount your splashes upside down, is there any specific reason for that? Or just because it looks cool? Also, your ride has the K logo on the underside, how old is it?

They are not splashes - they are custom "crash bells" much thicker than splashes - and they're meant to be played upside down. The K ride is about 5 years old. Don't they all have a large "K" on the underside?

Hi Gus,
it was nice to meet you too. Thanks for coming to the show - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
From what I've been able to gather, it doesn't seem like the song Shallow is played much (if at all) during PT's live shows, despite being one of the more popular songs...This may be more of a SW question, but I was just wondering if there was any reasoning behind this..perhaps because of its simpler song structure compared to other PT songs or maybe for no reason at all!
Also, I'd like to know your thoughts on some of the drummers currently in rock..A few of my favs (besides you)....Danny Carey of Tool, Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, Cater Beauford of Dave Matthews Band, Brann Dailor of Mastodon, Thomas Pridgen of The Mars Volta, etc....Are there any rock drummers that have recently caught your interest or whose playing you enjoy listening to?
Thanks so much!

In regard to Gavin's "Crash bells", I've been in touch with R & D at Zildjian and there is a good chance that they will introduce these at NAMM 2009. I would urge any interested to drop Zildjian a line (their email can be tough to find but its out there) and mention that you'd be interested if they did come to market.

I own over 100 Zildjian cymbals and have to say the only area I think they lack in is the small bell, cup chime department. Hopefully this will change with if they introduce the "Crash bells".

In regard to Gavin's "Crash bells", I've been in touch with R & D at Zildjian and there is a good chance that they will introduce these at NAMM 2009. I would urge any interested to drop Zildjian a line (their email can be tough to find but its out there) and mention that you'd be interested if they did come to market.

I own over 100 Zildjian cymbals and have to say the only area I think they lack in is the small bell, cup chime department. Hopefully this will change with if they introduce the "Crash bells".

Hi gongbass ( the same one from Tama-Forum?),

i agree. I wrote some e-mails to Zildjian (last year), to introduce the missing sizes of a 6", 8" and 10" Oriental China Trash for "Stacks" or played as china. I think Gavins Crash Bells solve that lack a little bit. Such Effect-Cymbals are still missing at Zildjian.

hey ilikedrums, yep same gongbass as the tama forum.

I would urge all to contact zildjian that would be interested, not to annoy them, just to let them know that people would buy these if they were released. I loved the way these sounded at the recent Crimson shows I saw. If they do release them I hope they do more then the standard 2 sizes. Since unlike Sabian, Zildjian won't do custom sizes or custom orders, it would be great to have a variety.

As for a "stacked" type cymbal, let me turn you on to one of my recent creations. I took a 9" Oriental China Trash and put 4 rivets in it. I then took a 8" ZHT splash, lightly hammered the edges and placed it on top of the china trash. Clamped felts tight but not too tight and its a really original sounding effect. Hey if Zildjian won't do it doesn;t mean we cant!!! : )

Keeping my fingers crossed for the Crash Bells at Winter NAMM, would also love to see some Zildjian Cup Chimes but I think thats a stretch!

Hey,
Thanks for the info on the specs :)

Oh and one more thing...will you be conducting any workshops and or would be able to give lessons or something on those lines in London between the 20th to 25th ?
Do let me know.

useless info : theres an exhibit at Edinbrough Zoo called Tree Porcupine :)

Hi Gavin!

Thanks so much for the great performance yesterday in 013! Looking forward to the second show tonight. I am really amazed by your drumming. At various places during the concert, I was thinking, what fill would Gavin come up with now?
Hope that the shoot for the dvd worked out well (except for the knocked mic standard in FOABP) and I'll see you tonight!

(btw, you guys have a nice engineer! Talked with him last night for a couple of minutes. Very nice guy!)

[edit below]
And thanks for a wonderful second night! Very nice in absentia oriented setlist. I made a picture of you last night (its one of the few that worked out "well"). Had a lot of trouble with getting the light balance right.

2949109632_7018214e1e.jpg

for who wants to see more of both nights -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/suppers_ready86/
Certainly not the best concert pictures I snapped but pretty acceptable and also the first time I snapped Porcupine Tree (as it wasn't allowed on the concerts before)

Last edited:
Hi Gavin How are you?
Your "crash-bell" very fantastic in sound
I do not want to disturb or steal your time have you a close up photo of this?
this cymbal have a flat profile?
thanks a lot Gavin and excuse me for steal your time
Angelo

hi gavin

i've just got to say that have totally gotten into porcupine tree lately. i bought Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun ,In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. Deadwing is the tastiest of the lot but i'm loving them all. the vocals and guitars and keys are so lush and rich it really is gorgeous and dark music with your intelligent but largely unpredictable drums making the whole sound really good. although i also like what chris did before as well particularly the song 'piano lessons'.
the drumming on anesthetize is vicious. anyway i'm a big fan now. i'm hoping for more.

ta
j

Hi Gavin! ^_^

how're you?everything ok?
it's been a while from the last time that i write here...
but now i'm back!
with new questions! =P

This week i have stolen my mom's cd collection of Claudio Baglioni.
I was electrized when i read on the musician list your name!
I was stunned when i listen..(and i have always rejected claudio baglioni...and now i started listening his record...all your fault! :D )
Especially i was emotioned when i listen some live, like "Assieme", "ancora assieme", "A-Live".

Some interpretations are simply amazing, examples are VIVI, ADESSO LA PUBBLICITA', VIA (amazing tom solo!!) and overall i was seduced by your groove in "MILLE GIORNI DI TE E DI ME" and "UN NUOVO GIORNO O UN GIORNO NUOVO".

i have 3 questions for you...
the first, is about your drumset of that times .Do you remember or have some photos of that setup???
second question, i dunno if you have those cd that i've talked on this post, but in the song VIVI at 2':53" you make an amazing fill.if you hear it can you give me the transcription about this magic fill????PLEASE! ^^
last question...on the last studio recordings of claudio baglioni, are you on the drums?

I link you this old video with claudio that present you!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZndLbpnR4U
^_^

thanks a lot and sorry for the time that i stole you and for my horrible english :(
cheers

Riccardo

Last edited:
You're amazing maaaan! I'm out of words.
You're like...like...uh...like a cross between Bruce Lee, a cybermachine, Zorg from the center of the galaxy, and a visionary triple P.H.D underground scientist.
Keep up the good work/play, pal.
You're an example to many around the world I'm sure, by your music, but above all by your choices in life.
May all the good things in this world happen to you my friend. You deserve it.

Hey Gav,
First off, how are you? I would just simply like to ask your advice on how to play drums professionally for a lifetime. I'm 17 years old and I have been really tapping into and enjoying studio drumming and doing sessions for people. I recently did a session with Tony Levin on bass and it felt amazing to be a part of something with him. I've been playing for about 9 years now. Another I drummer I talked to in person about this was J.D. Blair and he really gave me some awsome advice. so any advice?

Thanks, and Take Care
Brendan Colameco

Hi Brodel

From what I've been able to gather, it doesn't seem like the song Shallow is played much (if at all) during PT's live shows, despite being one of the more popular songs...This may be more of a SW question, but I was just wondering if there was any reasoning behind this..perhaps because of its simpler song structure compared to other PT songs or maybe for no reason at all!

Actually we felt it wasn't very popular at all. So we stopped playing it about 3 years ago.

Hi angelo

Your "crash-bell" very fantastic in sound I do not want to disturb or steal your time have you a close up photo of this? this cymbal have a flat profile?

I don't have any photos of them - but I can say that they do have quite a flat profile.

Hi ItalianRicky,

i have 3 questions for you...
the first, is about your drumset of that times .Do you remember or have some photos of that setup???

That was 1992 when I was playing Pearl drums. Same configuration as I play now. 22-8-10-2-14-16

second question, i dunno if you have those cd that i've talked on this post, but in the song VIVI at 2':53" you make an amazing fill.if you hear it can you give me the transcription about this magic fill????PLEASE! ^^

I don't remember that fill - but if you post a small audio sample of it maybe a transcriber (like Terry Branam) could transcribe it for you.

last question...on the last studio recordings of claudio baglioni, are you on the drums?

The last two studio recordings I made for Claudio were "Sono Io" from 2003 and then "Quellide Glialtri Tutti Qui" in 2006

Hi dr.funkenstien

I would just simply like to ask your advice on how to play drums professionally for a lifetime.

Be conscientious, open minded and versatile.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin,

I don't have any questions for you right now but I just wanted to say that you have inspired me to a whole differant level...if that makes sense. Ever since I saw you on the Vic Firth podcast (which is freakin cool), I've loved all of your stuff that you have done. All of the creative videos on youtube were awesome. I am hopefully going to buy one of your Porcupine Tree cds. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you as a drummer, and to keep up the awesome work. =]

Just stop by to say hello... I remember October 6th 2007 like it was yesterday... Porcupine Tree in Mexico City... I couldn´t believe it, I guess after a while you think about the greatest moments of your life and you realize that this is it, this is the one I would never change. Well anyway, I hope to see Porcupine Tree again soon, so good luck, best wishes and kindest regards Gavin.

Attachments

• porcupine%20tree.jpg
    porcupine%20tree.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,586
Hi Gavin

Will be available for download at PT´s site, any concert from 'blank planet' tour? -like 'Rockpalast','XM'...-

Thanks in advance and take care

Gus

Back