Gavin Harrison here!

stefano.pan

Milan's show

Hi Gavin,
thanks for the amazing show, last night in Milan.
I enjoyed the evening and your performance... as usual ;-)

I'm also glad there are more and more people coming on PT's concerts every year.

Cheers!

Stefano

plerik

Some Question ;)

Hi Gavin.

I have some question for you.

- When you play live with a band that don't have sincronize video or track, there are some situation that you prefer to have only a click in your in-ear monitor? Why?

- When you recording your drum-part in, for example, Porcupine Tree Album, how of the drum-part is writing in you mind, and how is born in studio session?

-Your style of drumming is for me one of my great inspiration, but for me is incredibible your "sanse of taste" and accuracy of you style. I read and Study you DVD and book.
I ask you some advice to develop this features
For example in your style, you use a lot of sticking controll...you have sugestion to develop this style?

Tanx a lot Gavin
I hope that my English is quite clear

Enrico
ByE ;)

hitman050

I would like to ask a question? Ever since I have started drumming, I always feel my left hand limits what I can play. Are there any specific exercises that you use(d) to develop your weaker hand (and leg), so that it was close to your stronger hand in terms of both power and speed/control?

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi garryjboyle,

How about a sonic similarity? (FOABP and In Absentia).

As I said I don't really hear it. If anything FOABP and Deadwing have a similarity to me - but there's an obvious reason for that - the drums were both recorded at my studio.

Hi plerik,

- When you play live with a band that don't have sincronize video or track, there are some situation that you prefer to have only a click in your in-ear monitor? Why?

I'm very fussy about tempo - and some tunes are difficult to get the right tempo for. I might use a click for just 16 bars just to get the tune off at the right tempo....in the same way people use metronomes for a count off.

For example in your style, you use a lot of sticking controll...you have sugestion to develop this style?

Study some snare drum books. Fred Albright's "Contemporary Studies For Snare Drum" is very good.

Hi hitman050,

I always feel my left hand limits what I can play. Are there any specific exercises that you use(d) to develop your weaker hand (and leg), so that it was close to your stronger hand in terms of both power and speed/control?

Probably you'll never get your left hand to be as good as your right (assuming that you're right handed). You've been using your right hand a lot more in everyday life (writing/eating/opening draws/picking your nose.. etc) and it has a stronger connection with your brain.

You can of course try to play left handed on your kit (Billy Cobham style) and that will help you develop your left hand and your left side. But remember to do what every sounds and feels best to you - not what just looks cool. Billy does it brilliantly - but I could never make the groove feel better by playing things left handed. I try to practice things with my left hand that my right hand can do - there's no secret exercise - just determination.

Cheers
Gavin

plerik

plerik

Tanx Gavin for you answers
I have other question ;)

- For me In some Live situations without without synchronized video or track, is useful to have the metronome in Headsets, for example when the bpm is low (minor of 90-100). Is correct for you?

- The next question is very important for me for understand your metod for compose music and drum part. I have my metod but If it were possible for me to understand your method,
I would be very happy.

Tomorrow I start my studio Session in Italy with my Fusion/Prog Band.
The album will be mixed by Derek Sherinian

When you recording your drum-part in studio, for example, Porcupine Tree Album, how of the drum-part is writing in you mind before the studio session, and how is compose in studio, for example Fill, Dynamics, "color"
With porcupine you have some session with other Porcupine before the studio session or you write all part in studio?

Tanx a lot Gavin
Enrico

aydee

Platinum Member
Hi aydee,

I have always felt that the day I could instantaneously play / create everything that I could imagine, I would have fulfilled my musical goal.

Me too.

What are your playing aspirations, considering you are already well past the milestone I talk of?

I don't think I am past that milestone. On rare occasion I seem tap into some inspiration and things start to flow. I'm always chasing that feeling. I'm well past the point of worrying about technique and I do try to steer the ship from the bridge rather than have my head in the engine room...if you know what I mean.

Cheers
Gavin
Gavin,
Thanks so much for indulging me in my arm-chair philosophy. I have great admiration for those who can "steer from the bridge.". I'm a boiler room guy working my way up to trying to understand that feeling.

Zakir talked of moving "the music" and the " time" off of his fingers to the pit of his stomach.(I have seen him play 2 completely different rhythms in 2 different meters on the 2 tabla drums..... something you are doing a lot of lately).

Max talked of exploring the infinity between 2 notes( funnily enough, an Indian concept), and truly saw the drums as a linear melodic instrument.

Other ways of expressing the same thing I guess.

May I ask, when you do improvise or just create ( not sure how much of your recorded playing is improvisational), are there some ideas that flash through you that you find impossible to execute, or do you sometimes find yourself at a loss for those kind of ideas, if you know what I mean ?

Where do your demons reside? : )

Cheers

Last edited:

Shane G

Hi gapwedge,

It states that in 2008 you will be joining King Crimson

I don't know about that. Unfortunately it seems anyone can edit your Wikipedia page and add whatever they want. I don't know who wrote that there or where they got that info.
Perhaps from Robert Fipp's website:
http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=1210

I know, I know, the timeline doesnt match up (gapwedge's post with Robert's entry) but its still true, nonethaless.

Right Gavin?

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi plerik,

When you recording your drum-part in studio, for example, Porcupine Tree Album, how of the drum-part is writing in you mind before the studio session, and how is compose in studio, for example Fill, Dynamics, "color"
With porcupine you have some session with other Porcupine before the studio session or you write all part in studio?

I'm not sure I really understand your question. When I hear a new song for the first time - of course I imagine what rhythms could fit well with the song. Then I go and sit at the drums and start to record (as I have a studio in my house). Fills/dynamics and colours are coming to me in the moment that I'm playing. Then I play the results to the other members of the band to see what their reaction is. I may re-record the song a few times until I'm happy with the parts and the performance.

If I'm going to a studio to make a recording with a new artist - I have no preconceived ideas of what I'm going to play because I haven't heard the songs yet. The songs will determine what I'm going to create along with the requests/suggestions from the artist and producer.

Hi adyee,

May I ask, when you do improvise or just create ( not sure how much of your recorded playing is improvisational), are there some ideas that flash through you that you find impossible to execute, or do you sometimes find yourself at a loss for those kind of ideas, if you know what I mean ?

The only time I'm really struggling for ideas is when the song/tune I'm playing on is very uninspiring to me. Sometimes as a session musician you're called in to play on something you really don't like...and that's when it gets hard to think of things.
Other times I might be disappointed by what my hands and feet are playing - with - what appears to be - a will of their own.

Hi Shane G,

Yes the 'cat' and the 'bag' seem to have parted company.

Cheers
Gavin

gapwedge

Hi Gavin

Now that the feline has separated from it's convenient carry-case, might I be permitted to re-ask my question about whether joining King Crimson will be in addition to or instead of PT?

Last edited:

Spuz

Hey Gavin,

You're a great drummer and I love your work etc etc

Sometimes I get strange mental blocks with regards to a very specific technique; double sixteenths on a single pedal at certain places in the beat for instance. I know that I can play it, because I have been for years and occasionally I still can, but apparently my brain thinks I can't do it, so I usually can't.

Do you ever get mental blocks like this? How do you overcome them? (by the way, I have tried playing it slow and working up to speed. No good.)

Keep up the good work :)

Also, to everyone here on the forum: where do I find the FOABP dvd-a version? I've seen announcements about it and stuff but I can't for the life of me find anywhere that actually sells it. Am I blind or what?

ChristZero

Hi Gavin!
Really enjoyed seeing you in Saarbrücken yesterday. You were obviously in good shape.
Some posts before you mentioned the click track to be on your monitor just for some bars as a count off. Seemed to me you were using that method yesterday too, right? Because sometimes when there are really subtile keyboard sounds I wonder how the whole band could stay in time without a clicktrack...
Well anyway it was great!!!
"See you in Paaariiiis" unknown guy in the crowd (it wasn't me)

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi gapwedge,

might I be permitted to re-ask my question about whether joining King Crimson will be in addition to or instead of PT?

In addition.

Hi Spuz,

Sometimes I get strange mental blocks with regards to a very specific technique; double sixteenths on a single pedal at certain places in the beat for instance.

Yeah I can remember having trouble with this beat: x x - - - - x x - - - - - - - -
bass drum on the first two 16ths of beat one and the last two 16ths of beat two - plus hand to hand 16's on the hi hat. I had to really practice that so there was no flams at all between the hi hat and bass drum.
Another good one to practice is "Wanna Be Starting Something" (Michael Jackson - Thriller). It is a Linn Drum on the record but it's a good coordination exercise.

The bass drum is like this : - x x - - - x - x x - x - - x x : snare plays 2&4 and the hi hat plays just the first four 16ths.

Cheers
Gavin

loveporcupine

hi gavin,

after interlaken and cologne i could convince about 25 people (all from Basel/Switzerland) to go to zürich watching the show. after the gig they were all kissing my feet because they could once see your drumming. pt is just live mindblowing, i was waiting 2 hours to get the best seat on first floor and this concert was the highlight of 2007!

my question: which song do you enjoy most to play live?

thx again for making my ears so happy.

lionel

s0nspark

Yes the 'cat' and the 'bag' seem to have parted company.
This is quite exciting! The Bruford/Mastelotto pairing was one of my faves... I am curious as to what roles you and Pat will play, as in the last situation (generally speaking) Pat held down the grooves freeing Bill to experiment over top... Any thoughts on that?

In any case, congrats and I look forward to what will surely be another impressive work involving you :)

Mr. Hat

Hey Gavin.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions. I am interested in knowing more about your recording process. I know that you prefer Waves C1 compression. What are some of the basic settings you use such as ratio, threshold, attack, etc? Do you roll off any frequencies? Do you use a gate on any of your drums?
Congats on your continued success! Can't wait to hear your take on Crimson.

angelo

Hi Gavin How are you?
Excuse me Gavin i have a question
I want to buy a microphone for my hi-hat I am undecided between a neumann tlm103, or neumann km 184 or akg c391 can you help me in choosing and advise the various differences I love your current sound of your hi hat.
thanks a lot for your time
Angelo

ProgFron

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for the great show at Brussels last Thursday!
It was my fourth show and the last one was really something special.
Too bad about The Sky Moves Sideways and Even Less, but you guys more than made up for it.

I'll be seeing you again in Amsterdam and have a question about that show.
Me and several guys and gals from the PT forum who went to the Brussels gig are also going to see the band in Amsterdam.
It's kinda rude, but my question would be if you could persuade Steven or whoever makes the setlists to play Even Less and The Sky Moves Sideways?

I have both your DVD's and I have a question about your polyrhythmic fills.
When you're writing do you just go for it and see what works best, or do you really work a fill out in your head first?
I've been trying to incorporate this kind of fills in my own music, but it's not always working out.
I'm trying patterns of 5, 7 and quintuplets, but I have some trouble coming up with good patterns.
So what's your approach?

Thanks for your time. You're drumming is phenomenal.

Cheers,

Francis