Gavin Harrison here!

Inngwar

Hi Gavin,

This may sound really stupid but i'm really anxious to know...
So i have been watching your first dvd and i have realized that you play your double kicks without moving your foot foreword (maybe i'm wrong) and they sound very even. Could you explain this motion?

gongbass

Hey Gavin, I was curious to see if you had ever considered adding octobans or a gong bass drum to your set-up. From what I know, Sonor makes both for their artists. Just curious as to your thoughts on these drums and the drummers that use them (Simon Phillips, Gary Husband). Cheers!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Alexdrum75,

Listening to those clips I feel I play much behind the beat, the songs never lift up, the engine never starts. What can I master to deal with these situations?

I only managed to load the Toto song - and for sure the guitarist is playing a long way in front of you. Have you tried playing this song with a click? Sometimes people have different perceptions of tempo and where they play relative to the beat. It only really grooves when everyone in the band has a strong sense of tempo and a similar feeling about where to place their beats. Some musicians never really pay a lot of notice to beat placement - and can't even hear that they play out of time. Drummers tend to be more sensitive to it because it's a very large part of playing the instrument.

Hi Santibanks,

Also, are you familiar with these microphones:

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html

I've never heard of them, so I can't comment about them.

Hi Inngwar,

So i have been watching your first dvd and i have realized that you play your double kicks without moving your foot foreword (maybe i'm wrong) and they sound very even. Could you explain this motion?

Do you mean without sliding the foot up the pedal? I've always done it like that - first note is with the toes - second note is with the 'ball' of the foot.

Hi gongbass,

I was curious to see if you had ever considered adding octobans or a gong bass drum to your set-up.

I never have had the feeling to include those sounds in to my setup - although I do have a pair of old octabans in my garage and I managed to use them a little bit on a PT song called "So Called Friend" from the Deadwing CD.

Cheers
Gavin

Alexdrum75

Hi Alexdrum75,

I only managed to load the Toto song - and for sure the guitarist is playing a long way in front of you. Have you tried playing this song with a click?
As ever, it's a pleasure and an honor to be answered by one of the contemporary drummer I admire the most, if not the ONE.

However, whenever I try to play with a click, whether live on in a studio situation, I feel that the gap between my sense of time and the other musicians' one is greatly exaggerated.
In this situation the outcome is actually worse than playing without a click track.
I have to focus in on the click and that distract me from the whole groove.
It's a really frustrating situation, believe me. And I don't want to blame the other musicians because I really don't know clearly yet If it's me or the other buds.

I mean: in a non professional situation it's only the drummer who bears the burden of keepin' time. And that should not be.

I ask also other forum members here to give me advice (of course not here on this section) on this so to have a broader picture of how they deal with these situations.

Maybe this post can be expanded somewhere else on the drummerworld.com forum.

Fabio

Ciao Gavino !!

We are a small group of the mythical GHFC
Tomorrow we will be to Rome to the tendastrisce, for the concert !!
We would want to succeed to greet to you, we hope to succeed to us..
Considered that the last year, the theatre security has been much rigid, we fear that it is also this time..

So if we must have problems,
know that during the concert, we will be under the Fausta's banner !!

See you tomorrow.. We hope !!

Greetings from GHFC !!

tobi283

Hi gavin!

that was an AWESOME show last night in vienna!!!! did you like it too?
one question do you remember the fill you played after the guitar solo of sound of muzak? can you reveal that? it is at 3:48 on the studio version...
and another question, why didn't you do the drumsolo when steve asked for it :)) ?

hitman050

First of all Gavin (Sir!), I must say, you are an awesome drummer. One of the reasons I started drumming a year back was after listening to some of your stuff!

I have a couple of questions, if you will not mind answering.

1. I am having a problem choosing a double bass pedal. The only 2 available in my price range in India are the Sonor DP492 (single chain) and the Janus Ergo Pedal (double chain). What are you thoughts on either of them?

2. Would you advise Rhythmic Horizons and Rhythmic Visions, to an intermediate player like me. I don't have a teacher, and I am looking for some studying material, and am very interested in your instructions.

Thanks

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi tobi283,

one question do you remember the fill you played after the guitar solo of sound of muzak? can you reveal that? it is at 3:48 on the studio version...

I don't remember what fill I played in last night's show (in any song)...do you mean it sounded like a fill from the CD?

and another question, why didn't you do the drumsolo when steve asked for it :)) ?

I knew his problem would be fixed quickly and I didn't want to start a solo and then stop after 30 seconds...plus I don't really love playing drum solos.

Hi hitman050,

1. I am having a problem choosing a double bass pedal. The only 2 available in my price range in India are the Sonor DP492 (single chain) and the Janus Ergo Pedal (double chain). What are you thoughts on either of them?

I'm not familiar with either pedal - but I have played Sonor pedals and they were very good indeed.

2. Would you advise Rhythmic Horizons and Rhythmic Visions, to an intermediate player like me.

Start with Rhythmic Visions and see how you get on. It's not a physical technique dvd - it's about manipulating rhythm.

Cheers
Gavin

Inngwar

Hi Gavin,

Sorry for my bad english...

I'm interested to know if you ever had creativity problems? And if you did , do you still sometimes find yourself in a dead end?

And what inspires you the most? Do you find your self less or maybe even more creative in front of a crowd?

tobi283

No it didn't sound like on the cd, i just wanted to make shure that you know which fill i'm talking about...
So how come you don't like playing drum solos?

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Inngwar,

I'm interested to know if you ever had creativity problems? And if you did , do you still sometimes find yourself in a dead end?
And what inspires you the most? Do you find your self less or maybe even more creative in front of a crowd?

I think (like most of us) there are days were I feel more creative than others. Some days I play my drums and nice things start to appear - and other days - where I can't hear any new stuff coming through. Usually it's in the smallest details and I have to be in a relaxed frame of mind to reach those details. Letting go of any preoccupations is important and not being afraid of sounding bad momentarily. Of course it's all in the mind - and a good book to read is Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. Reading that book helped me get in touch with my inner rhythmical thoughts. Being in front of a crowd makes no difference to my creativity - I don't feel more or less inspired. The inspiration has got to come from inside my head or something that I'm hearing someone else play.

Hitobi283,

So how come you don't like playing drum solos?

Because they seem so completely out of context to me. I'll happily play a solo during a tune because there's a musical form going on and I can use that to have some meaning...but to just pull a solo out of thin air (because the guitarists amp has broken down and he suggests to the crowd.. "How about a drum solo?") usually means regurgitating a load of pre-rehearsed licks and fills (just a load of showing off basically) - and I find that a really boring circus act - to either perform or listen to. I could start a solo from nothing and try to follow the wind - but I really need an open ended time frame and to be in the right state of mind (as I said above).

Cheers
Gavin

aydee

Platinum Member
I think (like most of us) there are days were I feel more creative than others. Some days I play my drums and nice things start to appear - and other days - where I can't hear any new stuff coming through. Usually it's in the smallest details and I have to be in a relaxed frame of mind to reach those details. Letting go of any preoccupations is important and not being afraid of sounding bad momentarily. Of course it's all in the mind -
Thats a wonderful insight into the mind ( ...if I may put it diplomatically) of an artist of your caliber.

However, I have often wondered that I, as a musician of limited ability, I have always felt that the day I could instantaneously play / create everything that I could imagine, I would have fulfilled my musical goal

What are your playing aspirations, considering you are already well past the milestone I talk of?

I have had the good fortune to pose this question to Max Roach, and Zakir Hussain amongst others, but would love to hear your feelings about your own playing and musical goals.

Thank you, as always, for all your replies

Last edited:

pagoda_5b

Hi Gavin,
I hope you're enjoying the sunny weather in Rome today, you guys got lucky for it's been foul in the past few days.
I can't wait to see the show tonight and I'm wondering if you have plans for a clinic or two in Italy in the near future.
I only started listening to your music in the past months but I's stunned by your musical sensibility and ideas and I'd really appreciate to hear from you live.

I'd like to thank you for your kindness and availability, good luck for the show and the future!

Ivano.

12:5

great show u played in vienna!!...i thought anathema was good but in comparison to PT they sounded like an amateur band
your fills were amazing as always especially the one in sound of muzak after the solo...

gibeachhead

Hey Gavin,

I have recently been using the 12" oriental China Trash, as I believe you also do. I was just wondering something. In the past several months I have owned 3 of these cymbals. The model keeps cracking on me (within 45 days of use) at the concave of the cymbal. I did some research online and found that it appears to be a "common" problem with the oriental trash. I am just curious if you to experience the same problem with this cymbal or not? It sucks because I love the sound of this cymbal so much, but I am going to have to get another companies effects china to replace it because this cymbal just doesn't hold up over time especially at its cost, and its not worth it to keep replacing it every month. :(

Also if you have any suggestions for a 12" effects China besides the oriental trash, then that would be much appreciated :)

Anyways, always good to hear your replies.

Thanks in advance Gavin!

Brent

Ayl20

[/QUOTE]
Because they seem so completely out of context to me. I'll happily play a solo during a tune because there's a musical form going on and I can use that to have some meaning...but to just pull a solo out of thin air (because the guitarists amp has broken down and he suggests to the crowd.. "How about a drum solo?") usually means regurgitating a load of pre-rehearsed licks and fills (just a load of showing off basically) - and I find that a really boring circus act - to either perform or listen to. I could start a solo from nothing and try to follow the wind - but I really need an open ended time frame and to be in the right state of mind (as I said above).

Cheers
Gavin[/QUOTE]

Perfectly said. That's exactly how i feel. They always tend to sound 'unmusical'(?!) to me aswell. I've only heard 2 or 3 drum solo's that have had feel and musicality, and they are mostly just a time-keeping groove with one or two tasteful licks/chops thrown in, unlike the over-hyped limb flailing insanity that some drummers perform. Some are technically great, but musically they don't do anything for me.

However, i do LOVE drum solo's while the rest of the band is playing (especially in a live setting). Your solo in 'Hatesong' from the PT DVD is a prime example.... oh so tasteful : ) Also, the solo in the song FOABP (on the album) where it's just you and you 'pull' the whole band back in... perfect!! There's a huge difference though between your solo during a song (in FOABP) and drum solo's where there is no musical context, as you rightly said. Keep it up and PLEASE come to OZ.... i've heard rumours that you were on your way down here with PT but i can't see anything on your site. I understand how hard it would be to come here though, tucked away from the rest of the Western world. I'll keep my eyes peeled!! Now you've made me wanna go drum... cya.

garryjboyle

Hey Gavin,

Just another couple questions about your PT recording process if thats cool.

-'In Absentia' and 'FoaBP' both sonically have roughly the same drum sound. This is interesting as both had two different kits, engineers, microphones and rooms. What would you, if at all, contribute this similarity to? The way the kit was recorded? The tuning? A mixture?

And lastly:

-Was 'FoaBP' recorded to guide demo's like 'In Absentia' where parts were replaced as you went along?

Cheers

Garry

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi aydee,

I have always felt that the day I could instantaneously play / create everything that I could imagine, I would have fulfilled my musical goal.

Me too.

What are your playing aspirations, considering you are already well past the milestone I talk of?

I don't think I am past that milestone. On rare occasion I seem tap into some inspiration and things start to flow. I'm always chasing that feeling. I'm well past the point of worrying about technique and I do try to steer the ship from the bridge rather than have my head in the engine room...if you know what I mean.

Hi pagoda_5b,

I'm wondering if you have plans for a clinic or two in Italy in the near future.

Not at the moment. I made 12 clinics in Italy earlier this year - so it'll probably be a while until I get invited again.

Hi gibeachhead,

I did some research online and found that it appears to be a "common" problem with the oriental trash. I am just curious if you to experience the same problem with this cymbal or not?

I have broken a couple of them - but the secret is to really let them breathe and swing - if you clamp them down (even a bit) they will break. I love the sound of them too. I had a Zildjian 12" EFX "Piggyback" china a few years back that was really nice too.

Hi garryjboyle,

-'In Absentia' and 'FoaBP' both sonically have roughly the same drum sound. This is interesting as both had two different kits, engineers, microphones and rooms. What would you, if at all, contribute this similarity to? The way the kit was recorded? The tuning? A mixture?

To me they sound very different and yes they were different sets in different rooms. I guess it's the way I hit them. A lot of a drummers personality is in the touch - I know it sounds crazy but I've heard different drummers play the same kit - and they sounded quite noticeably different. (wow I used the word different a lot there).

-Was 'FoaBP' recorded to guide demo's like 'In Absentia' where parts were replaced as you went along?

Yes FOABP was recorded to demos like In Absentia.

Cheers
Gavin

garryjboyle

Hi garryjboyle,

To me they sound very different and yes they were different sets in different rooms. I guess it's the way I hit them. A lot of a drummers personality is in the touch - I know it sounds crazy but I've heard different drummers play the same kit - and they sounded quite noticeably different. (wow I used the word different a lot there).
Maybe 'the same' is too strong a word choice. How about a sonic similarity? ;)

Garry