Gavin Harrison here!

Charterman50

Hey Gavin - been awhile and just taking a look through your forum. I am sure you have probably answered this - I didn't see it though - curious what heads you prefer and BD muffling. I am playiing a nice set of Slingerland maples and have had pinstripes on them for years, but as I will be replacing them soon I wanted to ask your thoughts. Also didn't see the response to what snare(s) you are playing. I have a '76 Black Beauty that I have been in love with since I bought it, a 3 1/2 x 14 Maple piccolo and a 12 x 7 1/2 Gretsch free floater that is really high. I think the allure of a late 40s Radio King still draws me and I did hear a really great sound out of a hammered brass Craviotto.

Looking forward to your response - Best, Charterman

Pandrex

Hi Pandrex,
small bass drum?? I've always used a 22".

Cheers
Gavin
oh lol, my mistake... it just looked really small from where i was, maybe because your toms are quite high above it, i dunno..

nice pearl rack you use, i have the same ;D . If only i could get my hands on some of the those cupchime things you made.

garryjboyle

Hi garryjboyle

-In the Sound on Sound article you explained that you record drums live in your control room with the screens doors open and ambient mics in the big room. Was this how FOABP was recorded?

Exactly.

-My understanding is that In Absentia was recorded in Avatar Studio NY. How were the drums recorded?

That's correct. There were several pairs of Neumanns set up at different distances around the room - but a lot of what you hear on the record is the close sound. Some tracks have more ambiance than others - it was a mix decision depending on what was needed for each song.

Is this (mic list) current still? Was this the set up for FOABP (specifically the ambient set up)?

Yes, that's the most up to date one I use in my studio.

When you say close and distant are we talking just outside the booth and at the other end of your hall?

Yes, although I moved them depending on the sound I wanted for each track.

You use two mics on the Kick also. Is this a batter head and one inside? If not how is this set up?

The SM91 is inside and the Audix is just looking into the hole on the front head.

-And, just out of interest, in the SOS article you list the EV n/d 408’s as your choice tom mic over the Sennheiser 421’s as they don’t get in the way.

I thought that the 421's sounded better (especially in the lower 3 toms) so I switched to them. I still think they're a bit cumbersome - and would be hard work in a live situation like PT.
Many thanks Gavin,

So, again out of interest, what do you mic your kit up with in a live situation?

Where and how was the rest of FOABP recorded? The PT Wiki page lists a ton of studios - was most done at Steve Wilsons home studio?

Regards

Garry

DrummingJim

Hey Gavin!!

I saw you play at The Forum on friday with Porcupine Tree and i was apsolutely blown away! The sound was incredible! I loved the use of your polyrhthms.

I was wondering do you play with a click track live?
Also which snare do you play? As i am looking to buy a new snare drum.
Thanks!!
James

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Charterman50,

curious what heads you prefer and BD muffling

I've been using Remo Coated Emperors on the tops of the toms for many years now. Clear Ambassadors on the bottoms. Remo coated CS on the top of the snare drum and Clear Remo Powerstroke 3 on the batter head of the bass drum. Inside the bass drum is a heavy cushion that touches both front and back heads.

Hi garryjboyle,

So, again out of interest, what do you mic your kit up with in a live situation?

Pretty similar to the studio setup except... just one Bass Drum mic (Shure SM91) inside the drum. EV 408's on all the toms, and Neumann KM84's for overheads and hi hats and ride cymbal.

Where and how was the rest of FOABP recorded? The PT Wiki page lists a ton of studios - was most done at Steve Wilsons home studio?

It was recorded all over the place. I think the guitars were recorded in Florida.

Hi DrummingJim,

I was wondering do you play with a click track live?
Also which snare do you play? As i am looking to buy a new snare drum.

Yes we play to a click for the songs that have a film so that it's all in sync. I'm using a Sonor SQ2 Birch 14x5 round bearing edge snare drum.

cheers
Gavin

Spazzy-McGee

Gavin -
I'm new to this board so I hope this isn't a duplicate question (looked for it, didn't find it but there are 49 friggin' pages here! haha)

I heard or read somewhere that you don't really consider yourself a "double-bass" player. Although you do, do a lot of it. Of course I'm impressed with your chops and I know a simple click track slow to fast is how you develop them. I'm more conserned about practicing technique.

What is your technique for playing double bass, and how would you suggest one to practice and develop it?

Thanks Gavin!
S-M

Drizzle

Hi Gavin,

Just curious, why the choice for Coated Emperors on the toms.

Is there a particular reason for using them compared to Clear Emperors?

Is it the warmer tone of the coated heads compared to the clears?

Are there situations where you would use other heads, like type of music or miked or not miked??

See ya in the Heineken Music Hall on December the 5th.

Dre

kiarze

Hi Gavin!

What are the cymbals that you use?
When is that PT come to Portugal?

You are an amazing drummer!
Kiarze.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Spazzy-McGee,

What is your technique for playing double bass, and how would you suggest one to practice and develop it?

The only things I really strive for on the double pedal is to have control and be accurate. It's easy to play a load of fast nonsense - but to play them REALLY in time and in sync with your hands (with no flams) is hard. I've played double since 1984 - and I'm still trying!!!
In terms of technique - I always play 'heel up' and play single strokes starting with the right foot. I don't work on speed - I'm not interested in playing 16ths really fast - I just try to use my imagination to see if I can find some interesting ways to play them inside grooves and fills.

Hi Drizzle,

Just curious, why the choice for Coated Emperors on the toms.
Is there a particular reason for using them compared to Clear Emperors?

I used to play Clear Emperors/Pinstripes and Clear Ambassadors but I really don't like the "plastic" tone they give. It's like a "U" shape on a graphic eq - lots of high frequencies and low frequencies but not much in the middle - and the coated heads just seemed like a more natural organic sound to me.
It's just my preference.

Are there situations where you would use other heads, like type of music or miked or not miked??

I never seemed to play in "un-miked" situations anymore - I'd probably play Coated Ambassadors in a low volume situation.

Cheers
Gavin

gapwedge

Hello Gavin.

Just a quick line to say thanks to you and the band for a great show at the Kentish Town Forum on Friday. It was more than worth the trip from Caerphilly. I was lucky enough to recently win two tickets to a PT "one-off acoustic show" from a well-known music TV channel, so hope that I will get to see you all for the third time, very shortly.

Congratulations also on the award for best album from Classic Rock magazine.

Can I ask about something on the page about you on wikipedia?

It states that in 2008 you will be joining King Crimson. Is this a permanent thing or the next project whilst PT have a (well-earned) break?

Could I also ask have you always been a Zildjian man? When I think of your cymbal set-up, perhaps not all of them would be what some would consider to be classic "rock" cymbals eg the k's, but it all seems to fit in so well with everything else. Is it a case of always having played these and letting them fit in or have you gone down the "horses for courses" route of using x cymbal for this and y for that?

Thanks, again,

Clint Hopkins

Drop

Hi Gavin,
I've been listening to and enjoying 'Drop' quite a lot lately and I'm wondering what the time signature is in the beginning riff to 'Sailing'? Along with 'For Lack of' it's one of my favorites. Also, just out of curiosity, could you point out the tap guitar parts you play on the disc?
Thanks so much for taking the time.

Clint

DrummingJim

Thanks for the info Gavin!

At the moment im studying at the ACM in Guildford. Ive seen some really good masterclasses there from Thomas Lang, and Chad Smith. Have you been there?

I no you are on a busy tour schedule at the moment, but i was wondering if you where planning on visiting to do a masterclass in the future?? This would be amazing!!

You are often a big talking point in our drum classes!!

I hope you had a good gig tonight!

cheers!!
Jim

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi gapwedge,

Can I ask about something on the page about you on wikipedia?
It states that in 2008 you will be joining King Crimson

I don't know about that. Unfortunately it seems anyone can edit your Wikipedia page and add whatever they want. I don't know who wrote that there or where they got that info.

Could I also ask have you always been a Zildjian man?

I've been playing Zildjians since 1986 - and I've never had a problem mixing and matching their different cymbal types. They're just musical cymbals.

Hi Clint Hopkins,

I've been listening to and enjoying 'Drop' quite a lot lately and I'm wondering what the time signature is in the beginning riff to 'Sailing'?

It's in 9/8.

could you point out the tap guitar parts you play on the disc?

I can't really remember - I'll have to listen through it and take notes.

HI DrummingJim,

I've never been to ACM or been invited to make a masterclass there as far as I can remember...but I've heard it's a very good place.

Cheers
Gavin

leysingi

Hello Gavin.
Having come over from Iceland specifically to see you and PT in Oslo this summer and in Kentish Town last week, I just thought I'd drop in a line to say that both shows were absolutely stunning (technical glitches in Oslo notwithstanding). I've been listening to PT for a couple of years now and following up on a lot of your side projects as well. Just what can be said about "Drop"? In my humble opinion, your drumming simply defies description; I must confess I've never heard anything like it. And you seemed on fire at the Forum! This is just to say thanks for the music, the inspiration and the time you devote to your trusted fans!
Cheers!

s0nspark

New kit pictures?!

Hey Gavin -

I remember seeing pictures of your new kit somewhere recently but can't seem to find them again ... can you point me to them?

Thanks much!

Alexdrum75

Dealing with time perceptions

Hi Mr. Harrison,
sometimes, I say most of the times, I get to play with people that have a different time perception. I tend then to play behind the beat while they tend to play ahead of it.
These are three songs that I played recently on some demos:

Kingdom of desire (Toto)
#41 (Dave Matthews band)
Somebody like you (Keith Urban)

Listening to those clips I feel I play much behind the beat, the songs never lift up, the engine never starts.
What can I master to deal with these situations?

Cheers from Italy (Rome).

SantiBanks

Hi Gavin !

Looking forward to the 5 december show in Amsterdam. You might know that its Sinterklaas avond in Holland so if you have some time off that day, I recommend going into town and get some speculaas, kruidnootjes and chocolade letters. They taste teriffic!

Also, are you familiar with these microphones:

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html

They are highly recommended and extremely cheap (and they have a special model for stuff like toms which are more corner moulded). I was wondering if you ever used them (couldn't find them in any of your microphone lists) and what you think about them (especially tonewise).

See you the 5th !
Cheers, Santi