Gavin Harrison here!

ProgDrummer

Hey Gavin!
Played a great show at the Roxy on Monday. Enjoyed your performance especially! Ironically, my Rhythmic Illusions book came in the mail the same day as well. Definitely gonna be looking forward to the live album!!!

Daniel

Last edited:

fddrummer

Hey Gavin -

Just picked up your Rhythmic Visions DVD - Great stuff on here! I particularly enjoyed the arrangement of 'A Night in Tunisia'. You should put together a jazz concepts book, or dvd - you had some great ideas going in that clip. Also - I'm currently putting together a percussion album - any chance of having you contribute with your busy schedule?

Regards,
Eric Bittermann

s0nspark

Hey again Gavin :)

Just a quick question for ya... If my memory serves me correctly, one of the kits you had when initially joining PT was a red Sonor kit... Was the finish on that kit Luminous Red (RAL 3024)? I was really fond of that particular shade and, well, Sonor offers about 25 shades :)

Thanks much...

Cheers,
Tim

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi goo-goo

I wanted to ask you, do you have a high resolution of your kit (driver's seat) you could share? would love to have it as a wallpaper in my PC.

I can't upload hi res pictures onto this forum. There is a maximum size of 488.3kb
This is the best I can do....

Gavin Harrison setup.jpg

Hi s0nspark,

If my memory serves me correctly, one of the kits you had when initially joining PT was a red Sonor kit... Was the finish on that kit Luminous Red (RAL 3024)?

The first Sonor kit I played in the States was a Birdseye Amber DeLight. That got swapped for the one I use now in the States a Birdseye Azure.
I played a Birdseye Azure on my first European tour with PT - and then the Earth finish Designer - and now the Tribal finish SQ2.

Cheers
Gavin

s0nspark

The first Sonor kit I played in the States was a Birdseye Amber DeLight. That got swapped for the one I use now in the States a Birdseye Azure.
I played a Birdseye Azure on my first European tour with PT - and then the Earth finish Designer - and now the Tribal finish SQ2.

Cheers
Gavin
My bad ... it was your Pearl kit I "remembered" :)

Thanks for the reply...

XboxIsAGodToMe

Your kit makes me smile everytime I see it. It looks so comfy, and I always wish I could sit behind it and play it! Just a question though...do you move your throne in a little when playing, or do you always sit that far back? Maybe it just looks far because nobody is sitting in it! lol Have a great one!
Josh

XboxIsAGodToMe

Hi XboxIsAGodToMe,

Yes I like to sit a long way back. I'm 6' 2" so I can't be that close anyway.

Cheers
Gavin
I think that's my problem. I'm the same height, and I feel like I sit too close. I'll definitely have to try that. Thanks!
Josh

P.S. It's good to see a taller drummer! Everyone seems to be so short lol.

Ploum©

Hi Gavin, I just received your 2 DVDs, been watching them all evening yesterday.
They're amazing and inspirational, I've got so many more things to work on now! Haha.
The "simple" polyrhythm exercises alone are going to take a while to assimilate.

I realized though, most of the tunes you play on them are very fusion/jazz/funk oriented, and all I knew about your playing was from the Porcupine Tree albums.
Among other things, there's a pattern from a song by the band Incognito that sounds pretty neat.
On your Wikipedia page I see you've played on many albums besides the PT ones.
Can you select the 3 or 4 that feature that other side of your playing the best?

Thanks a lot for all your replies so far, that's very generous (the thread is a goldmine).

s0nspark

RIMS mounts?

Gavin -

I am seriously looking at picking up a set of Sonors (S-Classix or DeLites more than likely) but am unfamiliar with the tom mounting system... from pictures it seems pretty heavy duty and I am a little concerned about how it may affect the resonance. In the past I have gone with Gauger RIMS mounts as a way around mounting systems that choke the drums... Have you ever had an issue with Sonor's T.A.R. mounts? Would RIM mounts be overkill or unnecessary? Also, have you ever considered mounting your floor toms in a similar fashion to your rack toms (i.e. suspended on your rack)?

Forgive my unfamiliarity with Sonor - I've had a hard finding shops in my area that stock anything from them :-/

Cheers,
Tim

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Ploum©,

Can you select the 3 or 4 that feature that other side of your playing the best?

That's a tough question - because as far as my playing is concerned I usually just prefer the most recent stuff (such as my record with 05Ric "Drop"). There's some interesting stuff on Jakko Jakszyk's album "Bruised Romantic Glee Club". Of the older stuff - the Incognito album "Inside Life" is nice and I still like listening to Yasuaki Shimizu's "Aduna" album.

Hi s0nspark,

I am seriously looking at picking up a set of Sonors (S-Classix or DeLites more than likely) but am unfamiliar with the tom mounting system..... Have you ever had an issue with Sonor's T.A.R. mounts?

No I've never had a problem with them - they're really good. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either the DeLights or S-Classix.

Also, have you ever considered mounting your floor toms in a similar fashion to your rack toms (i.e. suspended on your rack)?

I have done that in the past with an old Pearl kit - but I prefer the floor toms on legs. Due to the size and weight of floor toms - you end up putting a lot of pressure on the mounts and shell by hanging them off a rack.

Cheers
Gavin

Ploum©

Hi Ploum©,

That's a tough question - because as far as my playing is concerned I usually just prefer the most recent stuff (such as my record with 05Ric "Drop"). There's some interesting stuff on Jakko Jakszyk's album "Bruised Romantic Glee Club". Of the older stuff - the Incognito album "Inside Life" is nice and I still like listening to Yasuaki Shimizu's "Aduna" album.
Thanks a lot!

I've already found the Jakszyk and Incognito cds on Amazon, it seems like Aduna will be much tougher to find though. I'll be hitting the big Parisian stores ASAP.

Looking for an online store that stocked the album, I came across a translated interview of yours (from a Dutch mag called Slagwerkkrant) that answered pretty much the same question.

The list is consistent!
Here it is :

Porcupine Tree – Deadwing
Porcupine Tree – In Absentia
Franco Battiato – L’Imboscata
Yasuaki Shimizu – Aduna
Mick Karn – The Tooth Mother
Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin – The Big Idea
Jakko Jakszyk – Glee Club
Incognito – Inside Life
Lewis Taylor – Lewis 2
Shooter – And Your Point….

Attachments

garryjboyle

Hey Gavin,

I am a big fan of Porcupine Tree, your drumming is brilliant; solid and tasteful – everything a drummer should be. I am not a drummer but a bass player and have signed up to ask a few questions (please don’t flame me, I promise I’ll behave!).

As part of my 4th year on an honour degree in music I have decided to look at acoustic drum production techniques and am looking to use yourself/studio and Fear Of A Blank Planet/In Absentia as case studies as they are sonically stunning records. Having done some research on Both FOABP and In Absentia I have some questions:

-In the Sound on Sound article you explained that you record drums live in your control room with the screens doors open and ambient mics in the big room. Was this how FOABP was recorded?

-My understanding is that In Absentia was recorded in Avatar Studio NY. How were the drums recorded? From what I dig up the kit was close mic’d but were there any ambient mics used (Paul Northfield didn’t mention then in an interview I found)? To my ears there is less room sound on In Absentia than in FOABP yet (based on photo’s I have dug up) Avatar is a bigger room than your studio… Was this simple a mixing choice thing or a conscious decision at the recording stage? Or am I simply reading too deep into nothing?

-You listed (as a reply to another question) this as your mic set up:

Bass Drum (SM91)
Bass Drum (Audix D6)
Snare Top (Audix i5)
Snare Bottom (SM57)
Hi Hat (AKG CK391)
Tom1 (Sennheiser 421)
Tom2 (Sennheiser 421)
Tom3 (Sennheiser 421)
Tom4 (Sennheiser 421)
Tom5 (Sennheiser 421)
Overheads (Pair of Royer 122's)
Close Ambience (Pair of Neumann TLM 103's)
Distant Ambience (Pair of Schoeps CMC5's)

Is this current still? Was this the set up for FOABP (specifically the ambient set up)?

When you say close and distant are we talking just outside the booth and at the other end of your hall?

You use two mics on the Kick also. Is this a batter head and one inside? If not how is this set up?

-And, just out of interest, in the SOS article you list the EV n/d 408’s as your choice tom mic over the Sennheiser 421’s as they don’t get in the way. Everything I can dig up after that article seems to list the 421 as the choice mic. Is this accurate? Why the swap back?

I appreciate any help you can give. I know these seem to be pretty geeky (useless) engineer questions but they would be brilliant for my research.

Thanks for your time. Can’t wait to see you play in November on the Porcupine Tree tour.

Regards

Garry

goo-goo

Thanks Gavin for the drum kit picture!!!

I can host a bigger size picture if you (or everybody) wants it.

oquintero @ gmail . com (if you want to Gavin....without the spaces on my address....just protecting from spam bots ;) )

Question regading Nil Recurring song:

On the Robert Fripp solo part, did you re-record that part or was the solo recorded after your drum parts? I think the interaction and atmosphere created in that part between you and Mr Fripp is awesome...and completely orchestrated...I don't feel that any note is out of place. Its just plain amazing!!!

Thanks again Gavin

Pandrex

Hi Gavin. Just wanted to say well done in the Oxford show on thursday. I came from N Ireland and it was well worth the trip. I was the guy black hair n beard right at the front middle (I doubt you would remember me though lol). The crowd was very tame for some strange reason, but your playing (and everyones elses) was pretty much spot on. I saw the rythmic horizons DVD on sale which i really wanted to get, but unfortunately I'm just really broke these days so I had to pass.

One more thing, can I ask what snare drum you were using that night?

Cheers

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi garryjboyle

-In the Sound on Sound article you explained that you record drums live in your control room with the screens doors open and ambient mics in the big room. Was this how FOABP was recorded?

Exactly.

-My understanding is that In Absentia was recorded in Avatar Studio NY. How were the drums recorded?

That's correct. There were several pairs of Neumanns set up at different distances around the room - but a lot of what you hear on the record is the close sound. Some tracks have more ambiance than others - it was a mix decision depending on what was needed for each song.

Is this (mic list) current still? Was this the set up for FOABP (specifically the ambient set up)?

Yes, that's the most up to date one I use in my studio.

When you say close and distant are we talking just outside the booth and at the other end of your hall?

Yes, although I moved them depending on the sound I wanted for each track.

You use two mics on the Kick also. Is this a batter head and one inside? If not how is this set up?

The SM91 is inside and the Audix is just looking into the hole on the front head.

-And, just out of interest, in the SOS article you list the EV n/d 408’s as your choice tom mic over the Sennheiser 421’s as they don’t get in the way.

I thought that the 421's sounded better (especially in the lower 3 toms) so I switched to them. I still think they're a bit cumbersome - and would be hard work in a live situation like PT.

Hi goo-goo,

On the Robert Fripp solo part, did you re-record that part or was the solo recorded after your drum parts?

Robert's stuff was recorded after my drums, so he deserves any credit for interaction and atmosphere!!

Hi Pandrex.

can I ask what snare drum you were using that night?

It's my new Sonor SQ2 14x5 Birch 6 ply with round bearing edges. Did it sound OK?

cheers
Gavin

Spazzy-McGee

Someone mentioned this on the HOD forum, Backstagemusician.com did an interview with Gavin, and placed the video of it on it's website.
Thats a pretty damn cool interview. Nice to see that guy asking questions that weren't so "stock." Good job Gavin! cool to see who ya are.

GAVIN: do you enjoy interviews?

on a side note: I also just learned of this site. Pretty cool! Finding all sorts of neat things today. Interviews/sites now where is my pot of gold?

hee hee

Spaz-McG

Pandrex

yes gavin. I wasnt expecting it to have as much crack as it did though, but thats certaintly not a bad thing....

I really liked that sonor black steel (i think)snare you used way back on the arriving somewhere DVD. I recently just purchased a tama bubinga kit and I'm looking for a new snare, loads of these sonor ones seem really high quality.

Your toms sounded great, especially in the intro on anesthetize (or aunnies thighs lol). It was also cool to see you playing with such a small kick drum, why did decide to go with a smaller size out of interest?

Cheers Gavin